Road Cycling

Soldato
I'll get one ordered over the next few days.

I don't know why I'm so excited to get on Zwift. Maybe it's a mix of not being out on my bike since last Tuesday or the thought of having a new gadget that can mix my long time love of gaming with my new love of cycling but I can't stop thinking about it.

I wish 32 year old me could've had a word with 21 year old me to pack up all the crap I was into and get cycling. Life would've been so much better! You live and learn though :mad:

Soldato
As I think we mentioned above, I think HR is only used as an estimation if you don't have power figures. (I generally seem to have a low HR compared to other people of similar age that I cycle with) With Watts burnt they should be pretty accurate calorie count? How well my PM is calibrated is perhaps a different matter? I guess there could be 5-10% variance in either of ours?
I'm not sure what Strava uses for it's calorie burn, surely different riders burn different calories at different power and HR levels. Not to mention HR being really quite individually specific...!

And comparing powermeters is always a bit of a fools errand, even different meters between the same rider on different days. Too many variables! Easily 5-10% variance between ours, easily probably around 15% or even 20% would be 'within margins' of error/measurement/conditions/riders.

Think DCR commented a while ago that even him riding multiple PWM's at the same time then 5-8% variance was acceptable and 'normal'.

My partner and I are expecting our first child next month. So for the next year or so it's going to be hard to get out as much as I'd like or equally she wont have as much time as she would like to go running so I proposed the idea that we get a Turbo trainer towards the end of the year.
Really good idea and for a time pressured fairly recent father I can easily say "I'd be nowhere without Zwift!". My little guy was born end of september 2018 and look what it did to my riding:
fGTaKgO.jpg

The convenience of just 'jumping' on Zwift when the time allowed was invaluable, but moreso than that - being able to ride until 'interrupted' and being able to immediately stop and 'be there' rather that out on the road meant I rode far more short sessions and lost a huge amount less fitness. If I'd had to rely on outside riding I'd have only been out once a week, which I could still have done - but with the convenience of Zwifting I could choose not to ride outside and to be home more. Just no pressure to ride and felt like no huge sacrifices to make!

She's planning on getting a road bike in the summer but for times where we both can't go out together - for most of the year i suppose - she agrees that she'd quite like to use a tubro trainer inside whilst I'm out and vice versa. She actually likes the idea of Zwift more than I do as it means she can cycle with her friend who lives back in Wales.

Seeing as most the decent ones have a power meter built in
Nope, only a few do! Even those can be that manufacturers version and maybe not the most reliable or accurate...

The social element of Zwift can't be overlooked - find the right groups and you'll find the miles whizz by. The Sunday afternoon 3R endurance rides I do there is such a group of regulars with so much joking and banter that it really doesn't feel like 2 hours most of the time!

Got a pair of Rc9 from a friend who's had nothing but trouble with them and ****** his feet doing a 12hr TT in them. Had the rep in today and was sizing him for Lake and he'll be a 44.5 and a wide fit(due to bunions) so no wonder the Rc9 were destroying him as they feel snug even for me.

The Lakes 'look' massively wider!? Shimano shoes known for some being quite tight, guess that's why they do -W offerings to get Wide ones. Do sometimes see people selling 1 W and 1 normal as a 'pair' on the bay... But could almost guarantee they're not the 'way around' you need them! ;)

I also finally changed the front tyre. I think I posted an image before about how I was getting strange "growths" on the tyre after plugging a puncture which the sealant couldn't quite seal properly (it never went totally flat on the road, so never stranded me). The tyre had done just under 4000km.

The blue circle is where I stuck the Dynaracer plugs in - the red is a bit of the weird rubber growth that would build-up and then fall off whilst riding.

4w5vtoym.jpg

This is inside the tyre with the tips of the two plugs still there:

B3QliShm.jpg
Still mystified by this. Needs some chemical engineer to investigate to tell us exactly what it is!

I guess it's not totally impossible whatever you hit somehow damaged the outer part of the carcass before making the hole a bit further over. So what you've actually got happening is sealant from the hole 'leaking' between layers of the tyre and gradually coming through that damaged area. It's obvious the damage isn't 'holes' which the sealant can seal as it keeps happening and you're not really losing pressure for it. Maybe they're not big enough and it's more the sealant carrier leaking through than the stuff which actually seals is too thick to get to the area to seal it?!

I've been 100% camped indoors since Wednesday afternoon due to how fortunately my work rota fell, but I'm getting cabin fever and pondering a ride out in 55kph wsw breezes!:eek:
Don't do it! Actually brought the car to work today, would've been a tailwind in and with an option of around 90% cycle path still not convinced it was totally safe.

Rode last Wednesday & Thursday doing the Nursery commute in it. It's not as bad as today but tailwind was fun (without trailer). Then such a slog on the way back (towing +40kg) into constant headwind that any gust of wind just brought me to a halt. I actually decided to go up the path (not technically a pavement, but is separated from the road) for safety and so I could ride at 6-8mph and not hold up the traffic. I know I shouldn't but towing a trailer and going at walking pace shouldn't get too much grief (lots of other 'bike riders', not cyclists, use it anyway)... But gusts of wind & the headwind before then it was taking 250-280W just to maintain the usual 11-12mph (normally around 200-230W). I'm quite used to the trailer in constant headwind feeling like having a back brake rubbing, but those gusts felt like I had the lever pulled right back and dragging an anchor! :cry:

Really excited to get my turbo trainer tomorrow. I've no idea how I'll cope on it and I feel the Dyson fan we have will not be up to the task of cooling me down but I'm just looking forward to getting back on my bike and turning my legs over even if it is virtually.

A bit undecided as to what platform I'll use. I've set up a Zwift account and will use the trial but I also like the look of RGT and being able to add in real road routes and cycle them virtually. I'll stick with Zwift for a while as it has a few workouts I'd like to do and I suppose it's more popular for a reason. Just excited to get going
You'll love Zwift, but be aware of RGT and well worth trying it. Really quite different and the drafting/riding mechanics are different. RGT is drawing more and more riders to it - I'm actually joining a TTT there on Tuesdays (once ZRL is over in a couple of weeks). The way the drafting and team dynamics work make it far more complex/interesting!

But Zwift for a 'just jump on and ride' perspective has a lot more appeal/draw. Far more routes, events and 1000's of riders wherever you go. RGT can easily feel 'empty' outside of events. I've become quite spoilt with the social and community side of things on Zwift as it's just always 'there' and you don't have to work for it. RGT the chat is quite hidden away, so even on a popular event hardly anyone 'says' anything.

I really want to find out my FTP... But the test looks grueling! I also know it wont be that high (if it was higher than 180-200 I'd be shocked) so I wonder if it's just worth doing the 4 week booster workout plan and doing a test at the end.
It is meant to be a 'test' after all! But well worth doing a couple of rides where you hold sustained power for 10/15 mins to get an idea of 'how it feels' before attempting the actual test. Riding 'flat out' for 20 minutes is hard and not something you'll regularly repeat, but it is a good measure to have and start from - no matter how poor. We all started somewhere!

Last edited:
Soldato
surely different riders burn different calories at different power and HR levels. Not to mention HR being really quite individually specific...!

No, I don't think so. In theory, if two riders both set out pedalling at 200W they would both burn the same amount of energy in an hour. A Watt after all is a "unit of power in the International System of Units (SI) equal to one joule of work performed per second" so they would both be burning calories at the same amount per hour. If that side of the equation is fixed, all the change is in the other side. So, if one rider is 100kg, he wont get as far as one who weighs 60kg. If one is riding uphill, he wont get as far... etc. But, as long as they are both putting out 200W, they will burn the same amount of calories. That's my understanding of the logic of it anyway :) How accurate the PM is a different discussion I guess :)

I really want to find out my FTP

Oh, something else I thought of, I think workouts need an FTP to base the session on, so you kind of need to do one if you have no idea what your FTP is.

Soldato
Tbf, Ramp Test aren't that bad. (Have a look at some 4DP videos on YouTube to see some real pain and suffering :cry: I'm in no hurry to do one of those again). I did a ramp test last week, it's not really as bad as many of the sessions you'll do in the following weeks. It's only really a few minutes of suffering... :)

Soldato
Based on my experience, the ramp test overestimates your ftp. I get 30w higher in the zwift ramp compared to the 4dp test. I don't think I could hold my ramp test ftp for an hour, but could just about do so for the 4dp result if I didn't lose concentration, but 20 minutes at ftp was tough enough. The last 1 minute max power at the end of 4dp is cruel though.

Soldato
The last 1 minute max power at the end of 4dp is cruel though.

Yep, this killed me. It's the best example of "I must be at least 30 seconds in by now" {looks at time} "Only 10 seconds in?!??! Wth?!?!" I made a (long) video of my experience doing the 4DP and every now and then I have a glance back over it to remind myself of what suffering really can be :cry:

Based on my experience, the ramp test overestimates your ftp.

Have you done a SYSTM Ramp Test/Half Monty? I'd be interested in your thoughts on that, with the 20 minute 'Heart Rate Constrained Effort' after the ramp.

Soldato
Have you done a SYSTM Ramp Test/Half Monty? I'd be interested in your thoughts on that, with the 20 minute 'Heart Rate Constrained Effort' after the ramp.

Not yet, I'm switching over to SYSTM from Zwift and following a plan off it which has it in. Should be doing it on the 9th of April if you want to ask me then. :p

I have 9 hammers scheduled for Wednesday which I recall is rumoured to be particularly cruel.

Soldato
I've not done that yet... thank goodness. I have just noticed I've got Chores scheduled for tomorrow, which is pretty bad too... (0.88 IF compared to 0.91 of Nice Hammers)

It's odd, my 4DP said my MAP was my weakness (although I've put about 40-50W on it since then I think*) but I was an Attacker as my strength was recovery, so Nice Hammers doesn't look too bad to me, as I can hopefully recover in those gaps (aside maybe those two segments 30 and 47 minutes in!)

*I really need to do a new 4DP as my last one was almost a year ago... but I'm honestly afraid to do it :cry:

Soldato
Likewise for my profile. I resonated with their definition too, I usually do well at the end of a Zwift race for the last attack and can dig deep in that last burst of energy. My map has quite a severe deficiency.

Soldato
Good news, the turbo has arrived. Bad news is that the user before me put an 11-32 SRAM cassette on there and my bike currently has a 11-30 cassette.

Will I need to buy a new cassette or will my chain be OK on the 2 extra teeth?

fez

fez

Caporegime
Good news, the turbo has arrived. Bad news is that the user before me put an 11-32 SRAM cassette on there and my bike currently has a 11-30 cassette.

I would assume it should be fine. I am in the same boat. Just bought a trainer with an 11 speed so I need to replace with a 10 speed and I have ordered a 12-28 as it was super cheap and the one on my bike is an 11-32. Spec seems to suggest that the rear mech won't have any issues so I doubt that having a chain that is a little too short/long will cause that many issues.

My mate has a chain that is massively too long on his MTB and its works fine and thats on something that gets smashed about.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yeah i'm pretty sure it would be fine.

I'm on an 11-28 on my bike and some hills are tricky since i'm fat and unfit, just too cheap to buy an 11-32 :p

Paid £27 for a Tiagra cassette with a slightly off teeth count instead of £35. When I put it like that I should have just gone for the mirror of my current one :p

Associate

It's probably not "ideal" however I have used switched from a 12-28 to 12-30 on my bike and turbo and there hasn't been a problem. If you use ERG mode you rarely ever really go to the cassette extremes anyway!

Soldato

as long as it's got the same number of cogs you'll be fine.

Soldato
Yep, this killed me. It's the best example of "I must be at least 30 seconds in by now" {looks at time} "Only 10 seconds in?!??! Wth?!?!" I made a (long) video of my experience doing the 4DP and every now and then I have a glance back over it to remind myself of what suffering really can be :cry:
This is suffering (check the HR): https://www.strava.com/activities/6663096219

Hanging onto A+B riders in a TTT 2 weeks ago on 2 laps of 'Sand and Sequoias' (with Titans Grove in there). Anything over 180bpm is blow up territory for me, so basically flat out and my highest 20min power (269W) for over a year (& it even including some coasting/aero tuck). Finish made me sick and couldn't get off the bike for 20+ minutes after as legs were jelly! :cry:

My TTT in ZRL tonight will be far easier - riding with C's! But going to put a hard stint in as will seal us as season winners of EMEA South C2 with a promotion up to C1. Providing we don't finish any lower than 4th (have not been outside of 1st & 2nd yet this season)! :cool:

Absolutely fine. I ride 32t's outside and a 28t inside. Rode them on the same chain for several weeks this winter while waiting for a replacement bike/frame. Top end being the same means you'll have no risk of jumping the chain in big gears (no slack), but also on a trainer you are highly unlikely to need the 32, just drop it down to the small ring before you get there for lower gears. :cool:

Soldato
Thanks guys, I went a head and tried out the first Zwift level....

Everyone said to use a fan, I knew I needed to use a fan yet the excitement got the best of me and I just sat on and thought "I'd just try the intro". My god, what a mistake that was! I don't think I've ever sweated that much even when out on the road. Made me realise how much work i have to do but I did have a lot of fun

fez

fez

Caporegime
Thanks guys, I went a head and tried out the first Zwift level....

Everyone said to use a fan, I knew I needed to use a fan yet the excitement got the best of me and I just sat on and thought "I'd just try the intro". My god, what a mistake that was! I don't think I've ever sweated that much even when out on the road. Made me realise how much work i have to do but I did have a lot of fun

I mean, out on the road the faster you go, the more cooling you get. Without a fan indoors you are probably just sous vide-ing yourself.

Mines just arrived too. Need to figure a few things out and watch some videos for beginners. Need to get a fan setup, a sweat catcher and maybe a front wheel stand. Its pretty cool so far though.

Soldato
Towels! I'm a garage rider and during the summer will have 3 fans going. 2 this time of year, both from the front, one low more pointed at torso and one to face/neck. Really going to invesigate one of the 'blower' vacmaster types this year - but digress (best go in the Turbo thread for that). But using 2-3 towels is still recommended. I have a 'bike thong' thing (sweat catcher) but really think unnecessary if you get the cooling right. Mine has nothing to 'catch', a 'hand towel' draped over the bars/headtube/stem gets 99% of it as I'm only generally dripping from my arms. I use kitchen towels (what you'd dry washing up with) as my main ones. They're tougher, a little smaller and more absorbent. Cheap too!

Airflow is key, during the summer getting the 'flow' right is the only way to continue riding - if you're a sadist like me! ;)

Back
Top Bottom