Road Cycling

Been ringing around a few local smaller bike shops this morning and it seems no one wants to install a Di2 groupset for love nor, seemingly lots of, money
This is why I do nearly all my own maintenance other than where the tool cost simply won’t justify it. I had to wait two weeks to get a bottom bracket shell faced, and 2 months to get a wheel built recently. In both cases they did a great job but Christ.

Installing Di2 is easier than you’d think.

still dont think the road justifies tubeless for most cases. the amount of punctures I have with well maintained tyres is so low. had 1 this year when my tyre was due to be replaced.
That’s also true, I’ve only had one flat all year and it was a pinch flat due to badly inflated tyres. I seem to get very few normal punctures so the benefit is not there for me either.

The other good use case is racing but my current front wheel is setup tubeless and I’ve not raced all year so it will need a total overhaul before I ride it again. Maybe sealant is better now but unless you’re riding regularly or rotating your wheels it seems like pooling and clogging is always going to be an issue.

This is why I do nearly all my own maintenance other than where the tool cost simply won’t justify it. I had to wait two weeks to get a bottom bracket shell faced, and 2 months to get a wheel built recently. In both cases they did a great job but Christ.

This is true, but its still a bit of a faff. I made my life a little harder because I didn't want to use the existing hydraulic lines on my bike despite them being fine. Took about 4-5 hours total I reckon to pull the old groupset off and install and index the new one. Biggest faff was sorting out the internal sleeve for the disc line, getting all the cables up the seat tube with the anti-rattle doodads trying to catch on each other all the time and bleeding both brakes.

Very simple operation in the end as I didn't connect the levers to the battery which saves some time but these things always take a little longer than you think they will.

Satisfying to do it yourself though. I like wrenching on my bike though.

My partner clearly isn't as stupid as I thought though. She appraised my bike the other day and declared that the only thing that hasn't changed on it was the frame. I tried to explain that it wasn't true but she was having none of it. Apparently the headset, seatpost and thru-axels don't count...

Picked up the bike rental today.
Figured a 10km run there would be no problem.
Jesus it was hot. Had to stop for a drink.

I'll only be attempting really early morning rides around 6am!

Perhaps for someone who's not an imbecile when it comes to mechanical jobs. Frankly, it's a miracle I managed to set up my tubeless wheels and change a cassette :p

I'm just thinking if I sell a few bits I have laying around as well as my current group set and wheels the upgrade itself wont actually cost me much

MAN MATH STRIKES AGAIN.

Perhaps for someone who's not an imbecile when it comes to mechanical jobs. Frankly, it's a miracle I managed to set up my tubeless wheels and change a cassette :p

I'm just thinking if I sell a few bits I have laying around as well as my current group set and wheels the upgrade itself wont actually cost me much

MAN MATH STRIKES AGAIN.

Its practically money in your pocket!

Well Canyon have said they don't recommended upgrading my frame to Di2 as it's not supported due to it being a mechanical frame... Not sure how much sense that makes when there are Di2 models but that was their advice.

They said to check out SRAM as it's fully wireless but I've never used a SRAM groupset before

Well Canyon have said they don't recommended upgrading my frame to Di2 as it's not supported due to it being a mechanical frame... Not sure how much sense that makes when there are Di2 models but that was their advice.

They said to check out SRAM as it's fully wireless but I've never used a SRAM groupset before

******* SRAM!

By all accounts they are very good. I'm not sure if there is still an issue with front derailleurs dropping chains occasionally.

Weird that your frame doesn't support di2. I assume it doesn't have the hole near the FD hanger because thats the only thing that would get in the way of it I think.

Haha canyon are the worst. Asked them for some details about where the battery would be mounted on mine if it came with di2 and they said something about they couldn't advise just in case I smashed my face up if it failed.

******* SRAM!

By all accounts they are very good. I'm not sure if there is still an issue with front derailleurs dropping chains occasionally.

Weird that your frame doesn't support di2. I assume it doesn't have the hole near the FD hanger because thats the only thing that would get in the way of it I think.
I’ve just setup a Force AXS groupset. Really easy other than dialling in the front mech. The self trimming Di2 front mech is so much better. Otherwise I find the performance very similar.

Every frame is Di2 compatible if you try hard enough, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: fez
Battery shoved in the seat post everytime. Done.

Got rival axs on my boardman. Only 1x and it performs well but not quite as quick to shift as di2. Also the hoods are massive compared to shimano.

Battery shoved in the seat post everytime. Done.

Got rival axs on my boardman. Only 1x and it performs well but not quite as quick to shift as di2. Also the hoods are massive compared to shimano.

Yeah I’ve noticed these battery seat tube holders but now I have to work out how the wire gets to the FD. I presume it could just use the wire that goes to the FD already?

Take some pictures. Can probably come out of the existing hole. I've gave with the seat tube holders, kept falling out. I use bubble wrap and tape... Ghetto but it ensures it stays there.

Take some pictures. Can probably come out of the existing hole. I've gave with the seat tube holders, kept falling out. I use bubble wrap and tape... Ghetto but it ensures it stays there.
ltMC3mw.jpg

I'm guessing the wire to the FD is going up that white looking tube?

Back
Top Bottom