Road Cycling

I went to try a canyon endurace and ultimate this week. To be honest the geometry did not feel that different, but the ultimate felt more twitchy and as it is my first road bike I feel the more endurance bike will be a better fit. Certainly it will be a lot faster than my mountain bike regardless!

Overall both bikes are far more sensitive to the road surface than I am used to. It got easier as the ride went on, but you definitely notice that riding with 1 hand does not feel as controlled. I’m probably just too used to wide flat bars so need to adapt. The bikes had mechanics and shifting was great. I only rode the ultimate a little bit on the flat, with a longer ride on the endurace. I managed about 40 minutes of riding before I had to stop due to a heavy downpour. Thankfully I was close to the rental place which had a coffee shop and tent. I did a short loop with box hill which was nice for the views. The endurance bike did not feel particularly fast, but strava gave it 7:10, so definitely a jump up in pace from what I was expecting. When the rain cleared I only managed 5km with 130m climbing before giving up due to more rain and spray. I’m just not made for bad weather riding. The rental was from https://just-pedal.com/ and process was easy.

I have now placed my order for the new endurace, so just need everything to clear and delivery window will be late September/early October. May not get much riding before the weather turns, but with the stock issues I wanted to order while stock exists.

@PikeyPriest im just over a year into endurace ownership and i found it twitchy in compared to my previous bike. Its taken a while longer than i thought it would to be able to go no handed to undo a gillet/rain jacket etc. Which endurace did you go for i went for the cf sl 7 etap

Last edited:
@PikeyPriest im just over a year into endurace ownership and i found it twitchy in compared to my previous bike. Its taken a while longer than i thought it would to be able to go no handed to undo a gillet/rain jacket etc. Which endurace did you go for i went for the cf sl 7 etap
I’ve gone for the slx 8 di2. I struggle to take hands off and can’t go no handed with my super stable mountain bike! I think I need to work on my bike handling skills certainly so I can drink while riding.

Honestly I only ever go no hands when the roads are in good condition. I have the most issues when I am not paying much attention and have a light grip on the bars and hit a big old rut in the road and my hands nearly fly off the bars!

Good deal for anyone after non tubeless GP5000s.

I have a discount code for canyon following the rental that gives free delivery and delivery box. I already had one sent out and have a second so not needed. Please message if you or anyone you know wants it. I’m fairly sure it is bike only and not accessories.

I needed the code as delivery charge took me over the cyclescheme limit.

Well Canyon have said they don't recommended upgrading my frame to Di2 as it's not supported due to it being a mechanical frame... Not sure how much sense that makes when there are Di2 models but that was their advice.

They said to check out SRAM as it's fully wireless but I've never used a SRAM groupset before

To add i went with SRAM Force, mainly because it's 100% wireless so even less for you to get wrong ;)

There is a place that have agreed to install it and advised I buy it a retail is it would be cheaper than buying it through them. I'm not against going SRAM though.

Ah that's a result. I only went SRAM mainly due to the easier installation and not having to mess with internal batteries as they're mounted on the derailleurs and also the cost was massively cheaper!

Ah that's a result. I only went SRAM mainly due to the easier installation and not having to mess with internal batteries as they're mounted on the derailleurs and also the cost was massively cheaper!
yeah I do like the fact each derailleur has it's own battery. It's petty but I don't like the look of the Force/Rival chainrings compared to the Ultegra ones (which is which, is Rival 105 and Ultegra Force?) though the SRAM Red chainring is my favourite. Plus those flat chains look sweet.

Shimano looks way nicer than SRAM IMO but thats just my view.
I think Ultegra, especially the new matte and squared one looks incredible. Though I prefer the look of Red to Dura-Ace but fortunately I'm never going to have to make a decision between either of those two! Same as Super-Record EPS. Looks the nicest out of the lot

Yep rival is aimed at 105, force - ultegra, red-dura ace.

It is odd but buying 105 or ultegra retail is usually more than SRAM, but when it comes to buying a new bike the Shimano drive trains are usually cheaper. I guess they want people to use their drivetrains for replacements and happy to take a hit financially for it.

Last edited:
Yep rival is aimed at 105, force - ultegra, red-dura ace.

It is odd but buying 105 or ultegra retail is usually more than SRAM, but when it comes to buying a new bike the Shimano drive trains are usually cheaper. I guess they want people to use their drivetrains for replacements and happy to take a hit financially for it.

At the moment the 12sp Ultegra is cheaper than the 12speed Force (£1500 vs £1700) I do like the fully wireless philosophy of the SRAM groupset but I've only just got really used to Shimano shifting so I don't want to learn again!

I've also got my eye on this wax chain kit and asking for that for a birthday present. My current chain is one without a removably quick link. Quite like the idea of having 2-3 chains on rotation.

Last edited:
At the moment the 12sp Ultegra is cheaper than the 12speed Force (£1500 vs £1700) I do like the fully wireless philosophy of the SRAM groupset but I've only just got really used to Shimano shifting so I don't want to learn again!

I've also got my eye on this wax chain kit and asking for that for a birthday present. My current chain is one without a removably quick link. Quite like the idea of having 2-3 chains on rotation.

Guess it's due to Force recently being updated. I went for the older version which was being reduced ready for the new release. Must say i must prefer left = easy, right = hard as opposed to the Shimano option.

However i nightmare when you switch bikes and then drop into the little chainring and your legs have no resistance!

Last edited:
Back to aeroad pre-order here with new force and p/m. Will sell on wheels as they're dated for 28's plus the unequal f/r combo looks awful. Looking forward to seeing if asymmetrical cranks cures my problems as on the aeroad, I'll have to buy 2 further sets. Annoyingly the ultimate ships with 172.5 so I could atleast maybe keep left side :D

How do people store their bikes? I have just lent it against the wall, but with a nice bike should I get a hook system on the wall for the front tyres so the bike hangs vertically? Is it safe for the bike and wheels to do this?

Back to aeroad pre-order here with new force and p/m. Will sell on wheels as they're dated for 28's plus the unequal f/r combo looks awful. Looking forward to seeing if asymmetrical cranks cures my problems as on the aeroad, I'll have to buy 2 further sets. Annoyingly the ultimate ships with 172.5 so I could atleast maybe keep left side :D
Let me know if you want to try the discount code for free delivery and bike guard.

Back
Top Bottom