fez

fez

Caporegime
todays cycle was a sucess.
137km - home- Richmond Park - box Hill and back
thought you will like the next photo ;)
one Spec sl7 was missing from it..
1dbn6er.jpeg

All I can think of when I see this is someone (or a giant toddler) just coming along and jumping on all those vulnerable bikes. Could rack up about £40k of damage very quickly!

Soldato
No it's a bit baffling. They turned up today and seem decent quality although i've not a lot to compare them to. My only complaint is the shoulder straps are quite narrow. As someone with man titties, they don't sit right and slide off to the sides. My danish endurance ones do the same.
Random one, but are you back in the UK at all? I've a pair or 2 Rapha shorts I should probably throw away. Starting to get 'thread bare' in some of the stretchy areas. You're welcome to them, maybe ok for Zwifting/sizing but wouldn't wear them out in public. Think one of them is Large, so with some age/stretch is probably closer to XL sizing now. Better you try for sizing than them going in the bin anyway!

He advised me that there’s not much stock in at the moment due to the 24/25 colours being released in a few weeks.
Probably explains the slashing of the SL7 pricing I took advantage of (which is a 2021/22 frameset with 22/23 colours) to make way for 'old' SL8 inventory.

It's not hoarding if it's bikes, it's just what we do.

I kept my Canyon and have ridden it through winter. Have just got back on the SL8 this week for Mallorca...

cytdcqC.jpeg
Beauty pic! Is yours the SL8 Pro?

Ever used frame protection?

Luckily a guy stopped and offered a spare but then proceeded to refit the new one badly and the tyre wasn’t seated evenly so I had 20km of rattling wheel! Still it got me home and I’m immensely thankful.

Probably the push to go tubeless. Was impressive how quick he changed a tube too. Usually takes me ages!
Really until you're confident easily changing a tube yourself at the roadside I personally cannot advise going Tubeless. Certainly not if you're doing it yourself! Setup can be a right faff, even with lots of experience. Other times it works well, quickly and easily. But have to consider that the ideal scenario rarely ever happens... So having the skills/experience of the faff involved aids you immensely when you'd otherwise be stuck at the roadside. Putting a tube into a tubeless tyre is not an easy pleasurable experience! Certainly not a 'clean' one! Very much an emergency procedure (I've only done it once in 5 years of riding tubeless).

I’ve actually just ordered a whoop on the 30 day trial. How do you find yours? I don’t know if I even need it really. Plus wearing both an Apple Watch and whoop I may look like I’m on tag :p
I like my Whoop but I didn't really get it for it's accuracy, nor to tell me things I needed to do and change my life to achieve. I know I don't sleep enough. I know I drink beer which impacts my riding. I know I do a lot of other stuff which impacts my performances which not captured by anything else... And that's why I got it.

It's a bit more than a 'random number generator' for me, but those times I wake up feeling tired when I should be rested, it's nice to see 'why'. But more regularly I'll wake up feeling good, then fade early in the afternoon and be able to see that I had multiple wake ups in the night I'd otherwise be unaware of. Or like Andy - know it's telling me I'm primed and in good form, when I'm actually feeling tired, so suck it up buttercup and Ride On! :D;)

I got the Whoop to 'tell me things I knew', but also to guide me to better sleeping habits. And it has. For that & continuing to guide me into doing so, for me it's worth the sub to continue - and I have, into my 2nd year now!

Having a bit of a rubbish evening and feeling fed up/down. When I decided to get into cycling a few of my friends gave it the ‘big I am’ before I bought my bike. I wanted to clarify with them that before I got it, they were gonna stick with it. They assured me yes. I mainly threw myself into cycling, in the deep end, to kick my smoking habit. Which it had worked for the most part anyway, blah blah blah
One thing cycling is for is good mental health, but totally get where you're coming from. Only got a couple of friends who ride, but although started out riding with them they both seem to have stopped. Got 2 'older' friends from way back who ride, both generally trails/downhill and although one of them now has a road bike (got during covid) have yet to drag him out on it. Must do sometime! Got another who's moved then got back into riding but an awkward distance away - not quite far enough to take the car, but also a bit far to ride to just to smash out a couple of hours then ride home... Although I'm close to suggesting that to him.

You're only in Bristol, really not a million miles from me. More than happy to meet up for a ride at some point if you wanted! Find a local event?! Got a couple of riders I know through Zwift around the Bristol/Bath area, can easily ask them for club recommendations for easy socials/new riders if you wanted. Even today one of my Zwift groups a guy talking of doing an audax from south of Bath->Castle Coombe->7 Bridge/Chepstow->Monmouth & back on 6th April and asked if I was going. A 200km audax is probably not what you're after (also a bit too far for me, but told him I could meet him for a coffee at the turnaround if the weather is good!) so there's lots of small event things like that around.

I keep flirting with the idea of joining a club or a group but currently I can't easily be at place X at time Y with the little ones.

I have another mate who lives on my road who comes out with me most weekends but hes a much weaker rider and getting ever more so in comparison as I get fitter. So those rides are not massively long and I have to be a little careful with the pacing and they are basically Z1/2 rides at best.
<snip>

Question for all you guys. Do you tend to stop at a cafe on most rides or just blast them out?

Also, I am off to Crete with the family in May and wondered if any of you have any experience with cycling out there. Tempted to take my bike. My main concern is that one of the other guys going is an uber keen cyclist and will absolutely wreck me. Think 6-7 cycling holidays a year and probably cycling 6 days a week.
A local club which does 'social rides' are what you want. Some big clubs will have several routes and rides of different speeds/ability available (start in the slowest & shortest). But generally there should be no massive pressure over speed/average or doing hard efforts just to get around with the group. Generally you'll find the most friendly 'hobby' cyclists there (alongside a few better racing types who just want an easy ride). Take a look at some of mine - tends to be Saturday mornings 9am meet for 3-4 hours (40/50 miles), about the only real time I'll regularly/weekly ride with my club and then very sporadically at best during busy times and the winter/wet.

The group I'm with being a wide range of riders, I'm one of the younger ones (at 44!) but also one of the faster ones. Quite a few of them are retired so pace is very social - the majority keeping together on the flats and main roads, some natural stretching on drags and climbs. Significant climbs riders are welcome to do an efforts but the group will generally expect to wait at the top for everyone. Smaller drags or fast roads towards home then small group splits/stretching are allowed to happen, but generally good form to wait at junctions if the gaps are too large for those behind to see turns, but also some regrouping the closer to home everyone gets (unless you need to be back sooner). Also generally if you're a stronger rider then you spend just as much time at the back closing those gaps up as you do on front towing the group.

Not very often my club stops at a cafe on a saturday, but also has been known generally on the longer 50-60 mile rides when we're tackling a long/big climb so they're into the 4+ hours. They also ride Tuesday nights in the summer, 18.15 and generally back by 20.30/21 and that's to a local tap house for a beer (or several)! If I'm on my own I don't generally stop, if I'm out with friends will always suggest it, although hardly ever happens!

Cycling on Crete. No experience of it, but did look into it. I think it'd be an amazing place to ride - the roads I've seen look ok, even travelling one side of Heraklion to the other the 'busy' roads didn't seem that bad in peak season (July). But it is a massive island. One of the Zwift guys I know has a holiday apartment near Chania, he said to get a Gravel bike as far better for exploring than a road bike so guess the roads are poor in other less popular areas. I didn't as ended up being there when there was the heat wave & forest fires on Rhodes last year and it was far too hot. Time before was mid-covid so where not allowed out of resort!

Last edited:
Soldato
Random one, but are you back in the UK at

Thanks for the offer but no plans to head back soon. Hell I’m not even technically allowed to leave Spain until my residency is sorted and I’m having all kinds of issues with that.
Scary really as I’ve got about £100k spent on land/architect fees and not yet even assured of residency, planning permission or mortgage for remaining funds!

As for the tyre. I’d be perfectly happy to change one at roadside. Not as quick as the guy Saturday but I’d say 5-10 mins. Have got to the point I rarely need tyre levers.
I was just in the **** poor disorganised state that I had no spare or pump! The problem when I’ve only ever had one puncture previously and that was on some pretty stoney gravel track on the road bike.

Think the tyre seating issue was due to his inner tube. The valve was short for my 50mm deep rims and so couldn’t get a decent connection. Even trying to deflate and refit multiple times at home didn’t work. Annoying all my spare tubes are in storage. I then found 3 in a box.

One was a 40mm valve which wouldn’t fit and the other two are Ridenow TPU tubes meant for gravel tyres I was thinking of using. So for the time being I’ve a 28mm tyre on inner tubes rated 32-38mm

Last edited:
Caporegime
It’s nice riding by myself with some music or a podcast but I know it would be so much more enjoyable with friends and I’m too introverted to join a club of people I don’t know.

I’m also annoyed trainer road thinks I shouldn’t cycle again until Thursday lol

/moan
theres always social cycle groups and seems like you have options in Bristol
I've looked at them near where I live but riding 10-20miles to a pub /cafe or super expensive farmshop doesn't really appeal to me.

apart from introducing yourself you can probably get away with being quiet I'd imagine, its probably a small section of the group that do all the talking at any rest stop

Last edited:
Soldato
@Junglist a good bunch of cyclists will wait for you and not moan ;)
Remember, you can only get faster cycling with faster bunch :)
I've improved a lot over last few months and am about to be closer to my fast lot but come any climb, they will still drop me. Not as much as before but still will.

Clubs will have different groups for different levels and most will be no drop.

Cafe stops - in Kent we would just go for the route and stop at the end.
My other lot will stop in middle for coffee breakfast cake etc
That's pleasant but I will get cold and will have to warmup again which takes me over 40 mins.. ..and in colder temps, my knees seize lol

My mate is about to advertise for sale his SLR emonda and Spec Venge in sizes 54.i think
He's swapping for aethos and SL7 - both sworks
He's based in Midlands.

If anyone would be interested, send me a PM and I can ask him for some pics and details

Soldato
Beauty pic! Is yours the SL8 Pro?

Ever used frame protection?
Thanks. Yes. No. :cool:

Question for all you guys. Do you tend to stop at a cafe on most rides or just blast them out?
Up to 40 miles, no. Between 40 and about 55, one stop. Usually it is then a 100km/62mil ride and I'd probably stop twice. When we get to 90 and 100 miles it's probably 3 stops. Kind of take the miles, divide by 30 and round down. For me, psychologically it's quite important to have a break ever couple of hours.

Caporegime
Don't see the point in electronic gears.
the companies just ran out of things to make people spend money on.

I looked int o it and the indexing etc just looked the same as with a wire and if you have a good cable you never have to reindex them.
literally only considered it because I was running out of things to buy for my bike.

what does electronic shifting really solve? likely the easiest component to damage as well

ABS came to roadbikes yet? that'll be next if it hasnt, since its already a thing now on some MTB

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
what does electronic shifting really solve? likely the easiest component to damage as well

Perfect shifting every time.
Never need to re-index.
Auto trim front derailleur
Super fast shifting
Zero issues with internal cable routing.
Easy to set up and maintain
Hood buttons to change gears, operate the garmin head unit
Never need to change a cable

Its entirely unnecessary but most people who have it say they are unlikely to ever go back if they have the choice. I love di2. Unnecessary but great. Same as carbon wheels, carbon frame etc

Caporegime
Perfect shifting every time.
Never need to re-index.
Auto trim front derailleur
Super fast shifting
Zero issues with internal cable routing.
Easy to set up and maintain
Hood buttons to change gears, operate the garmin head unit
Never need to change a cable
I'm not convinced any of these are really real arguments and not grasping at straws.

I could counter them all but seems like nit-picking or personal opinion.

a good jagwire cable should be as hassle free as electronic shifting imo, maybe less so cos I hate having to charge things.

also with mechanical gears you've never had the shifting so good you have to look at the backheel to check it even changing? even old 105 10 speed seemed to be super fast and super quiet imo

I guess if your buying a bike over so much money it's not really a choice though.

Soldato
When will it ever stop raining? My short commute is ok in all weathers, but I don’t think we’ve had more than a couple of days this year that I would have wanted to go out for a leisure ride. Hats off to those who have been braving the elements!

Soldato
or personal opinion.
I guess it's this. I would never buy something without electronic gears now, for all the reasons @fez listed. I find it hard to understand someone not seeing it as 'better'. Whether or not it's 'worth it', is different.

Funnily enough, two people on hire bikes this weekend said to me 'I think I might be bike shopping when I get home' as they were so impressed with electronic gears... I think you're in the minority in not seeing the benefit.

Soldato
while i had mech ultegra, bike was always perfectly dialed in by my mechanics.
never skipped a beat, gears changed so smooth.

with di2, its on another level and quicker.
and the sound when changing the big ring :eek: :cool:

Soldato
FFS this weather is crap!!

Also, once you go electronic, you won't go back.

Had eTap on my SL6 since 2016, never missed a beat. Haven't had to do anything to it at all. Faultless.

New bike has Dura Ace Di2. Sooooo good too. Still getting the hang of semi auto shifting though, might turn that off tbh.

TT bike also has Di2. Just two buttons, up and down (pretty much like car paddles). No controls for the front derailleur, does that automatically. No need to faff with levers, etc, so no need to adjust your hands when aero tucked.

Associate
I like having sram etap for all the reasons fez has mentioned and i dont think i can see myself going back i mean i dont need it but id miss it if i didnt have it. Also a plus for me is i just like the noise it makes changing gears, i know im werid :cry:.

Soldato
When will it ever stop raining? My short commute is ok in all weathers, but I don’t think we’ve had more than a couple of days this year that I would have wanted to go out for a leisure ride. Hats off to those who have been braving the elements!

Was raining yesterday here :( I opened the door at lunchtime and just thought "nope". Not helped by the 60km/h gusts either!

I like having sram etap for all the reasons fez has mentioned and i dont think i can see myself going back i mean i dont need it but id miss it if i didnt have it. Also a plus for me is i just like the noise it makes changing gears, i know im werid :cry:.

Don't forget the little beep when you're at the end of the cassette :)

Soldato
I guess it's this. I would never buy something without electronic gears now, for all the reasons @fez listed. I find it hard to understand someone not seeing it as 'better'. Whether or not it's 'worth it', is different.

Funnily enough, two people on hire bikes this weekend said to me 'I think I might be bike shopping when I get home' as they were so impressed with electronic gears... I think you're in the minority in not seeing the benefit.

@Junglist i didn't know you'd met up with Andy :D

Back
Top Bottom