Road Cycling

Associate
Associate
I've brought a couple of bits from Siroko as they had a sale, only noticed them via Trace Velo as well. I mean i paid £50 for the two items so i mean i wasn't expecting too much mostly happy with what i got. I got the J1 Tibet jacket it fitted me well considering i'm chunky. it kept me warm and dry on the top half in the rain, but i also ordered a long sleved jersey again it fitted well but after 4 washes it was starting to bubble in a couple of places. This was washing at 20c on a quick wash, all my other cycling gear seems to surrive fine with this wash cycle.

Soldato
There's actually a Certini right next to the concept store but they always look closed. It's only 10 minutes from me so I'll pass by soon

I've got a set of Zipp 404 Firecrests. Not the all singing all dancing 454s but I don't think they'd look too out of place on it

Yep, keeping the wheels and my Assioma pedals. Along with my AliExpress saddle :cry: Was tempted to get the Power Mirror printed one but it seems it only has a life of 3years. Think I'll stick to my Chinese carbon lol.
Certini are Specialized 'Concept Stores'. According to someone I know Specialized ploughed a bunch of money in to keep them afloat when they should have gone out of business. Well worth a visit if they're still run as good as other Concept Stores used to be! They've always had a good web presence for bike pricing.

404FC's will look superb on it! Still not picked up the AliExpress saddle... Need to grab some narrower bars too and fancy something more aero and fancy looking. Like the 'EC90' branded ones. They keep cropping up and I recall some videos several years back and they're judged to be good quality... But really pondering how do I determine if the 'cheap knockoff carbon' is the same as the previous cheap knockoff carbon, knowing they copy other brandings... So they likely copy amongst themselves too?!

Interestingly, i was doing some reading last night to see how much faster i might be if i was less fat. It turns out the answer is not much at all.
Correct. In fact most of the best non-pro endurance riders tend to be heavier build guys. At your level you'll gain far more from comfort and positioning - being able to ride faster for longer, than losing 5-10kg. Even with the mountains and hills!

Yeah, i've been (forced) back out on the road and I have enjoyed the feeling of being out in the real world again. It's actually the first time I've been on the AliExpress saddle and I'm still really impressed with how it performs on the roads.

How tall are you? I'm 180cm, I can't remember the exact measurement of my inseam but I was thinking of going to a 160mm crankset but not sure if it's necessary for me. 172.5 on my Canyon
160mm cranks is excessively short. I'm 172cm tall and been riding 172.5mm without issue, only recent bike fit the guy has suggested 170mm cranks for me on the new bike, rather than down sizing to a 52cm frame (as I'd thought), keeping me on a 54cm.

I'll explain in more detail.

You can do a 2 hour ride without fueling, assuming your muscles are well fueled beforehand.
A banana whilst not enough carbs to properly maintain your energy levels for an extended effort, would get you close to 3 hours. As pointed out by someone else, you're not just fueling for your current exercise you're also thinking about the next one, so would need to eat more afterwards anyway.

My flippant comment was because people reach for gels instead of actual food when it's not really necessary. Especially if you're just doing an endurance ride.
Agreed about gels, they're really a compromise or very specific (in my opinion) - when you're riding so hard constantly where your body can't easily digest food. A gel is more quickly and easily digested, but they're not the best thing to be consuming lots of. Better to eat varied, certainly if you're out for long/all day rides. Have some choice. I used to carry a gel for 'emergencies' when I needed a 'get me home' but otherwise would not eat them. Even now, I've only had a handful of gels in since the start of covid. Preferring to eat more 'slowly' with bites of quite generic 'lunch' bars rather than anything specific. Things like flapjacks and grains work well for me. Love NAKD bars! But always good to have some kinda chewy sweets like haribo for that sugar hit :D

Are you comfy and efficient with your current bike frame and cranks length ? Then get same length in new and as close frame with setup as possible with new.

Use pages that compare bike sizes like https://geometrygeeks.bike/

In 180 on 56 frame - possibly could use 58 with my body and 172.5 cranks.

Bikefit would be handy but a good one costs small fortune
Very old site, doesn't even have Tarmac SL7 nevermind SL8 on it.

Bike fit does not cost a fortune, not in comparison to the expense of bikes & components. I'd recommend one to anyone who hasn't had one, or is 'between sizes', or experiencing any kind of pain/discomfort.

My recent one cost me £195, that was for 2.5-3 hours & a follow up 'check' once I get my new bike, from one of the best fitters in the west-midlands. There are cheaper ones around. Ask any bike shop - most of them more than competent if you've not had a fit before to check you over.

I feel on my bike it's ever so slightly too long. Only way to explain it is when I am on the hoods the part of the hood which feels most comfortable to sit on feels maybe 10mm too far away. Not a deal breaker but enough to notice. When I went to the concept store the guy took one look at me and said size 54. I thought I was going to be 56 but before even mentioning the size issue with my canyon he said he thought I'd look like a 54 and slightly longer stem would be better for me.

They said they'll fit me up on their little machine they have in store when it's time to order but he seemed pretty confident that 54 would be better for me than a 56.
Yup trust someone who looks at people on bikes to be able to judge quite quickly what size you should be on! I've always ridden mediums and 54cm frames. It's always felt a bit big, reaching a little. Better flexibility helps with that - hip & hamstring stuff worked well for me, able to hunker down quite well now. At 5'7 (172cm) I figured I was borderline 52/54 and I've got short legs, so surely that means a 52... Nope, due to torso length I'm right where he expects on a 54, could go longer and lower on the front - Tarmac will do that, but the 'it's a bit big' feeling comes from riding wider bars (44cm) than I should be (40-42cm), while shortening the cranks is the 'fix' for my leg length.

Think is, a bike fit is maybe £300 at the top end, but when spending £7k on a bike it's a pretty small proportion.

The negative is if @Junglist really wants the SL8 and then gets told he doesn't fit him at all!
It's small, but if you've not had a fit before you don't need to spend £300 on one! Around half that should be more than enough for most people - if you've not had one before. Usually a bit more if you're doing shoes/cleats too - but they're better done yourself anyway.

Ok, i'm trying to buy some bib shorts and as mentioned i'm going to try Siroko given they're Spanish and all and i like the jerseys i have of theirs.

They've a big range on their website and naturally i honed in on the cheapest, yet these suggest they're rated for "up to 3 hours" and i figure that doesn't quite work for my plans

As such i moved up to the next price point which seems to be the BX range. Here there are 3 options. The Squandra, Resistence and Hybrid. All the same price and pretty much all with the same description bar the slightest of tweaks

Mmmwvd4.png

Any insight as to what the difference might actually be? Bar slight cosmetic changes.
Can't see any other than cosmetic differences!

They look far more premium than their price. But never heard of them, nor the chamois. So usually that means they're fairly 'standard' vs the bigger names. For that price worth a punt but would really take their marketing with a large pinch of salt. I don't know why they've got so many pairs with the same pads in!? But one of my favourites (Sportful) is guilty of that too... So are Castelli. I used to buy my Sportfuls by the pads in them (Total Comfort Pro - TC Pro), they would be the same pads in £65 shorts & £165 ones!

Last edited:
Soldato
No it's a bit baffling. They turned up today and seem decent quality although i've not a lot to compare them to. My only complaint is the shoulder straps are quite narrow. As someone with man titties, they don't sit right and slide off to the sides. My danish endurance ones do the same.

Ended up with their higher tier "SRX" range, but the same thing there where they have millions of the same items.

Soldato
Certini are Specialized 'Concept Stores'. According to someone I know Specialized ploughed a bunch of money in to keep them afloat when they should have gone out of business. Well worth a visit if they're still run as good as other Concept Stores used to be! They've always had a good web presence for bike pricing.

404FC's will look superb on it! Still not picked up the AliExpress saddle... Need to grab some narrower bars too and fancy something more aero and fancy looking. Like the 'EC90' branded ones. They keep cropping up and I recall some videos several years back and they're judged to be good quality... But really pondering how do I determine if the 'cheap knockoff carbon' is the same as the previous cheap knockoff carbon, knowing they copy other brandings... So they likely copy amongst themselves too?!
Ah, that explains it then! It's been there for years and I've never actually gone into either before. Going into the Specialized store felt like torture as is though it also made me realise I really do like that frame and I removed all the other options from my list. Until I get told I don't fit it well :p

I'd say check out TraveVelo to see if he's covered them? Only reason I went with a Ryett saddle was due to how much faith he had in it

160mm cranks is excessively short. I'm 172cm tall and been riding 172.5mm without issue, only recent bike fit the guy has suggested 170mm cranks for me on the new bike, rather than down sizing to a 52cm frame (as I'd thought), keeping me on a 54cm.

I think I went down the rabbit hole of shorter is better. It's hard to tell really. This is my first road bike so I'm pretty much ignorant to everything else without trying as I have zero frame of reference. I think 170mm would probably be better but then I also thought a size 56 would be better for me, shows how much I know! Not enough to be useful but enough to be dangerous :cry:

Yup trust someone who looks at people on bikes to be able to judge quite quickly what size you should be on! I've always ridden mediums and 54cm frames. It's always felt a bit big, reaching a little. Better flexibility helps with that - hip & hamstring stuff worked well for me, able to hunker down quite well now. At 5'7 (172cm) I figured I was borderline 52/54 and I've got short legs, so surely that means a 52... Nope, due to torso length I'm right where he expects on a 54, could go longer and lower on the front - Tarmac will do that, but the 'it's a bit big' feeling comes from riding wider bars (44cm) than I should be (40-42cm), while shortening the cranks is the 'fix' for my leg length.

It makes me realise why my Hoy felt like such a boat. The handlebars were super wide and everything just felt 'big'. Now I know why seeing as it was probably 2 sizes too big for me! My Canyon has 420mm bars. Again, I've no idea if it's just right or if I could go to 400.

Soldato
But really pondering how do I determine if the 'cheap knockoff carbon' is the same as the previous cheap knockoff carbon, knowing they copy other brandings... So they likely copy amongst themselves too?!

I have the bars from "Ican" and can confirm they've not broken for me, and had some good praise from the bike mechanic who gave my build a check over

Not sure how they compare price wise though as they usually discount a lot with the frames

fez

fez

Caporegime
Soldato
Ah, that explains it then! It's been there for years and I've never actually gone into either before. Going into the Specialized store felt like torture as is though it also made me realise I really do like that frame and I removed all the other options from my list. Until I get told I don't fit it well :p

I'd say check out TraveVelo to see if he's covered them? Only reason I went with a Ryett saddle was due to how much faith he had in it

I think I went down the rabbit hole of shorter is better. It's hard to tell really. This is my first road bike so I'm pretty much ignorant to everything else without trying as I have zero frame of reference. I think 170mm would probably be better but then I also thought a size 56 would be better for me, shows how much I know! Not enough to be useful but enough to be dangerous :cry:

It makes me realise why my Hoy felt like such a boat. The handlebars were super wide and everything just felt 'big'. Now I know why seeing as it was probably 2 sizes too big for me! My Canyon has 420mm bars. Again, I've no idea if it's just right or if I could go to 400.
Yeah really the way Specialized used to do things, especially stuff like S-Works from the concept stores was good. They would handle everything for you, far more than just a 'bike sale' - more the complete package where they looked after the servicing afterwards, lots of pre-sale sizing with a bike fit and other such thing too. Very much the 'pro package' rather than just buying a bike. Don't think they do it anymore.

Big difference between 160 and 170mm. I mean 'standard' cranks are 165, 170, 172.5 & 175. Anything outside of that is getting pretty specific & more and more bespoke... That's why I said 'excessively'! Really being taller than me, going much below 170mm cranks would mean you have crazy short legs for your height! ;)

Weirdly I hadn't even considered my bars being too wide. I've never felt they were... If anything I've felt I have pretty 'stocky' shoulders so quite wide/big and certainly seems to be for a lot of jerseys/kit now I'm generally in a medium. So to not only be going down from a 44 to a 42, but to a 40 was a bit of a shock. Then also needing a wider saddle. I guess I'm a pear shape! But am aware of having quite large quads have always felt like having wide hips and favouring a wide pad in shorts as it's more comfortable so was far less surprised...! ;)

I have the bars from "Ican" and can confirm they've not broken for me, and had some good praise from the bike mechanic who gave my build a check over

Not sure how they compare price wise though as they usually discount a lot with the frames
Mine are more budget friendly and not integrated like those...! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193179996391

Basically I'm running cheap round alloy bars now (£12) which I drilled holes into to make them 'Di2 compatible'. They're stiff but very uninspiring.. Wouldn't otherwise bother me, but switched to Vittoria Rubinos in 28mm for this winter and they're pretty 'firm' (running far softer & wider before). Wouldn't bother me too much, but now the softer wider more comforable wheels & tyres won't be on for the summer (they'll be on the new steed) so the vittorias are here to stay coupled with the fact I need to go narrower, now is a good time. Something with pre-drilled holes, an aero shape and the comfort of some extra vibration dampening from being carbon... but also more than happy with cheap and cheerful for what will basically just be my commuter & winter/bad weather bike! ;)

Soldato
@Roady i probably did mean 165 but i think you’re right I should see what a bike fit says before i go doing anything (too) silly.

I emailed Centrini today with a few questions and quite happy with the response. If I buy the frame and bars from them they’ll do a free bike fit and if, I need to get clarification on this part, if I buy the rest of the bike apart from the wheels, they’ll build it for free.

He advised me that there’s not much stock in at the moment due to the 24/25 colours being released in a few weeks. But that’s fine as I’m not looking to do this for a few months. We have two properties to sell. If we can get one gone before the autumn I can see myself just getting it all done from there.

Part of me is also now considering not selling my canyon bike and keeping that for times if I want to ride in naff conditions. But is that me just being extra for the sake of it? lol

Yes. I am a hoarder

Last edited:
Soldato
@Roady i probably did mean 165 but i think you’re right I should see what a bike fit says before i go doing anything (too) silly.

I emailed Centrini today with a few questions and quite happy with the response. If I buy the frame and bars from them they’ll do a free bike fit and if, I need to get clarification on this part, if I buy the rest of the bike apart from the wheels, they’ll build it for free.

He advised me that there’s not much stock in at the moment due to the 24/25 colours being released in a few weeks. But that’s fine as I’m not looking to do this for a few months. We have two properties to sell. If we can get one gone before the autumn I can see myself just getting it all done from there.

Part of me is also now considering not selling my canyon bike and keeping that for times if I want to ride in naff conditions. But is that me just being extra for the sake of it? lol

Yes. I am a hoarder

100% I’d keep the Canyon.

How’s the clearance to fit something like 38mm tyres?

Soldato
100% I’d keep the Canyon.

How’s the clearance to fit something like 38mm tyres?

I think 32? Not that it matters. I’m a smooth road kind of guy!

It's not hoarding if it's bikes, it's just what we do.

I kept my Canyon and have ridden it through winter. Have just got back on the SL8 this week for Mallorca...

cytdcqC.jpeg

It’s about space as well really. I don’t know if we have the space for another bike in the space we’ve got. We’ve already condemned the fixie and my partners hybrid to life in the garden lol.

How was your trip? Did you beat your target you set?

Soldato
Had a really nice ride today. Well, it started nice. Then it got super windy and I realise why people may not be keen of deeper wheels in the wind, that was exciting…

Then I had to go down some country farm lanes which were quite wet… I got absolutely covered in a mysterious brown residue.

Fortunately it started to rain/sleet so much that it cleaned it all off of me. That was pleasant :p

Then to make things worse I get home and see Andy absolutely living it up in Mallorca!

Soldato
I remember the first time a cross wind caught me on my old bike with 60mm rims. Scared the crap out of me!

Today had highs and lows. Legs felt crap. My right shifter battery (CR2032) died and I got a flat and had no spare.

Luckily a guy stopped and offered a spare but then proceeded to refit the new one badly and the tyre wasn’t seated evenly so I had 20km of rattling wheel! Still it got me home and I’m immensely thankful.

Probably the push to go tubeless. Was impressive how quick he changed a tube too. Usually takes me ages!

Soldato
Then to make things worse I get home and see Andy absolutely living it up in Mallorca!
Sorry about that...

:p

zhRF25z.jpeg

Sa Calobra is today. Last year was 54:30, I'd love 52 mins this year, but yesterday I didn't feel like I had great legs, so we'll just see how it goes.
I woke up and my Whoop told me I was in great shape . "Your HRV is up 30 something %" :eek:

cGpeHam.png

I intentionally held back going up Sa Batella, keeping things fresh for Sa Calobra. It worked. 48:48. Super pleased!

the tyre wasn’t seated evenly
The downside of my day, I had this too. It happened the one other time I had to change a tube on the Tarmac, the tyre doesn't pop out and seat itself, it folds under the tube and then you're cycling on a square wheel. We rolled slowly to the petrol station and got lucky attempting to fix it right in front of a bike mechanic. He sent me to get soapy water, lathered this in the bit that didn't seat, pumped the tyre to 130psi and it finally popped into place.

Not sure what I'll do when it happens in a country lane with no soapy water or track pump...

Soldato
I’ve actually just ordered a whoop on the 30 day trial. How do you find yours? I don’t know if I even need it really. Plus wearing both an Apple Watch and whoop I may look like I’m on tag :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I like the 'always on' aspect of it, along with the data. It's sometimes hard to tell whether to believe the numbers. I guess yesterday suggests I should. I woke feeling terrible, it said I was good to go and I guess it turns out, I was!

Back
Top Bottom