Road Cycling

Soldato
Having done some reading because i was curious.

SRAM eTap (non AXS) is the older 11 speed version of the electronic groupset

Sram eTap AXS is the newer 12 speed version, and everything within AXS regardless of generation is compatible with each other :)

I think the cool thing about Sram is that because all ranges are interchangable (within AXS), you can use drop bar shifters with the MTB deraileur/cassette for gravel use to get a huge range, and vice versa, so you could stick drop bars on a hard tail bike for a weird frankenstein gravel bike

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Having done some reading because i was curious.

SRAM eTap (non AXS) is the older 11 speed version of the electronic groupset

Sram eTap AXS is the newer 12 speed version, and everything within AXS regardless of generation is compatible with each other :)

I think the cool thing about Sram is that because all ranges are interchangable (within AXS), you can use drop bar shifters with the MTB deraileur/cassette for gravel use to get a huge range, and vice versa, so you could stick drop bars on a hard tail bike for a weird frankenstein gravel bike

What about SRAM AXS non-etap. I think I understand that etap is the previous generation and now they are just AXS.

Realised that the Crux I have bought doesn't allow mechanical 2x at any rate so I don't really have many options. Wide range 1x or electronic 2x.

Soldato
What about SRAM AXS non-etap. I think I understand that etap is the previous generation and now they are just AXS.

Realised that the Crux I have bought doesn't allow mechanical 2x at any rate so I don't really have many options. Wide range 1x or electronic 2x.

Erm, pass. I wonder if it's just some websites not labeling correctly?

I think electronic 2x is the way. If anything then do it just to **** @Junglist off :p

Soldato
Day 3 of cycling in Girona today...1st dry day...hammering down for last days...horrible..
Cycled to Rocacorba, beat my last year's time by 1h lol
There was a lot of walking last year ;)
wHOfkPp.jpg

tbzQxiW.jpg

Soldato
Hey everyone!

So after my post (a good few pages back now) asking about a bike for around £2-2.5k, I've put down a deposit on a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3L (for £2250), and am awaiting my cycle to work voucher before picking it up.

I've been doing a bit of reading, though, and am starting to second guess myself. The Synapse seems pretty heavy for a carbon bike, and I'm aware that it's an endurance bike so will be a bit less racy.

The same shop also has the 2023 Supersix Evo 105 for £2k, and the CAAD13 105 for the same price (which I'm aware is alloy rather than carbon, but is quoted at a lighter weight than the Synapse).

I would generally think that I lean towards the endurance side of cycling - most of what I do (other than commuting) is head out for circa 100km+ days with mates on a Saturday, so I'd rather be more comfortable than have the extra few km/h, but having said that I've never ridden a more aggressive bike so who knows...I may love it!

It seems annoyingly tricky to find a shop I can head along to and try all three.

What would you fine people do in this position?

Last edited:
Soldato
Woke up this morning and saw my garage door was open and unfortunately what you all think has happened has happened and i've had my bikes nicked overnight. Looks like they've forced their way in through the window and then taken the bikes over my back fence.

I thought I'd had 6 taken, but when I went round to see neighbours in the close behind 2 had been left behind, one of which had no pedals and one had no chain as both were being rebuilt for sale. They'd left my newer Boardman on the bike stand which was getting a new bottom bracket today...

So please keep your eyes peeled on your local groups for any of these, the Felt as far as i'm aware was never sold over here in that colour scheme.

Felt FR1 - Rotor 3d Crankset, Dura-Ace Di2 rear derailleur, Ultegra front mech, Ultegra Shifters, Ultegra front brake. Low Mass 50mm wheels with DT Swiss 350 Hubs, some rub to the drive side seat stay and around the bottom bracket drive side from chain drop.

XPhRMRl.jpeg

Scott Spark RC Team - Rockshox Dropper Post - missing the headset plastic shroud.

sIZbzM9.jpeg

Canyon Inflite CF SL - GRX Di2 Shifters, GRX Rear Mech, Quarq cranks 170mm and power meter.

vqi8fFB.jpeg

Canyon Inflite CF SLX - Ultegra Di2 Shifters, GRX rear mech, Sram RED cranks 170mm, 130BCD - rare and Quarq power meter.

ccHl1Y4.jpeg

Soldato
Really sorry to hear that Solid. Theft gangs now run rampant and after a string of thefts near me I decided to move my bikes indoors. I still fear for my car sat on the driveway which has 3 cameras pointing at it with push notifications.

Soldato
Cheers all, definitely one to live and learn as I didn't lock the bikes in the garage, have locked up what I've got left and also battens the window with quite a chuck of wood as well as secure the window in the frame so if they're coming back they're going to have to make a lot of noise to get in. Luckily garage is separate so no attempt on the house.

Had 3 of the bike serials too luckily, make sure you note them down if you haven't. I thought I had all mine but I didn't have 2, luckily managed to find one of them by emailing canyon.

Glad they left me with one at least so I can carry on riding. Think I'd be destroyed if I was bike less.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well this morning has proved I’m a LONG way off the October event!

There’s a local climb of around 450m over around 8km. Ended up walking parts of it.

It’s not particularly comparable as this one starts with around 5km of 4-5% and then the final 3km is around 12% and I find anything over 8-9% just kills me. Whereas the big climb on the event is more of a steady 6-8% which I think I’d cope with better.

Still it’s a good test for me and it’s local so one to strive to get up. Lots of kind cyclists flying down slowed to check I was ok which I felt bad about and then laughed when I just explained I was tired!

Soldato
Hey everyone!

So after my post (a good few pages back now) asking about a bike for around £2-2.5k, I've put down a deposit on a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3L (for £2250), and am awaiting my cycle to work voucher before picking it up.

I've been doing a bit of reading, though, and am starting to second guess myself. The Synapse seems pretty heavy for a carbon bike, and I'm aware that it's an endurance bike so will be a bit less racy.

The same shop also has the 2023 Supersix Evo 105 for £2k, and the CAAD13 105 for the same price (which I'm aware is alloy rather than carbon, but is quoted at a lighter weight than the Synapse).

I would generally think that I lean towards the endurance side of cycling - most of what I do (other than commuting) is head out for circa 100km+ days with mates on a Saturday, so I'd rather be more comfortable than have the extra few km/h, but having said that I've never ridden a more aggressive bike so who knows...I may love it!

It seems annoyingly tricky to find a shop I can head along to and try all three.

What would you fine people do in this position?
I've been into the store and had a long chat with them, and switched up to the Supersix. Their thinking was that it's better for me to have a slightly racier bike which will challenge me a bit, than a comfortable but more boring option, and I'm up for that. Excited for my cycle to work voucher to sort itself out and to get moving!

Soldato
I've been into the store and had a long chat with them, and switched up to the Supersix. Their thinking was that it's better for me to have a slightly racier bike which will challenge me a bit, than a comfortable but more boring option, and I'm up for that. Excited for my cycle to work voucher to sort itself out and to get moving!
Wish I could do it, but I don't think I'd get away with cycling from my front gate to the van on the drive :D

Soldato
Yesterday I was tentative on doing the morning group ride as heavy rain was predicted. This morning with dark clouds on the horizon and strong winds pushing them towards me I announce that I will proceed with my solo ride which will get me back before they leave. Guess who got rained on and who didn't? :(

I don't actually regret it, as I got another point on my vo2 max score, making it +4 so far this month.

Back
Top Bottom