Road Cycling

Well this morning has proved I’m a LONG way off the October event!

There’s a local climb of around 450m over around 8km. Ended up walking parts of it.

It’s not particularly comparable as this one starts with around 5km of 4-5% and then the final 3km is around 12% and I find anything over 8-9% just kills me. Whereas the big climb on the event is more of a steady 6-8% which I think I’d cope with better.

Still it’s a good test for me and it’s local so one to strive to get up. Lots of kind cyclists flying down slowed to check I was ok which I felt bad about and then laughed when I just explained I was tired!
Sounds an excellent climb to test yourself on and build your climbing skills/confidence/etc - probably start by doing a U turn when the steep starts, as 4-5km at around 4-5% is still a fantastic effort & climb to train on.

Once you're at the point you can ride that 'easy' enough that you're not utterly gassed when it gets steeper then tackle it as a challenge to cross off. 3km at over 10% is pretty tough for anyone, but with that before it really you're into the realms of 'proper climbing'. Which is probably why you saw lots of others there & descending back down it!

Also, it seems i've got a new climb to worry about! I was checking out the main climbs that concerned me on that event and convincing myself i'll be able to manage, and then i've realised there's this climb which seems to have sections around 25% :eek:

That short at 25% and in the middle of a climb. Walk it! No point burning matches there - walk the steep and ride the rest, especially with those hairpins around. Nobody will be going up there fast as very hard to carry speed even with it being quite short!

I'm filming some footage to make a Karoo 3 review, and threw together a quick clip on Stava Live Segements -

I do like chasing a carrot!
Looks great but that UI is HORRIBLE!

cat.gif

I get your chasing a carrot and the Strava colour is quite distinct, but why so much ORANGE. Looks like my 6 year old drew it. But then again - I used my monochrome ELEMNTv1 for many years and even on a BOLTv2 feel I don't gain anything from even the little bit of colour now on it ;) :D

Very nice. Quite frustrated the garmin 840 gives me no segment updates during rides. For navigation, climbpro and data I have been very happy. But it is frustrating that my phone running the garmin app gave me segment comparisons.
WTF - no segment updates on an 840 - even your own against your PR?

I'd find that very motivating. I went with Garmin due to the Shimano di2 integration but in hindsight it's not something that's useful.
What Di2 integration? Gear selection/battery level? Anything more? My old ELEMNT had those as soon as I connected my di2 to it. Wasn't aware it didn't have it before but was blissfully unaware as took me ~10 months of riding di2 before I got the wireless module ;)

Last edited:
Cheers, certainly not being demoralised by not getting straight up. As you say it's a good test to keep re-assessing where i am. Especially as i could be at the base of the climb in ~20 mins from my house.

Had said i was going to aim for an imperial 100 by the end of June, but given my stepdaughter and mother in law are over next weekend, i'm not thinking about sacking it off and this weekend aiming for another metric ride but try and squeeze in >1000m ascent over it.

Have set the goal that 2025 i'll attempt the smaller event which is 180km and 5100m ascent in May 2024
I was googling for Spanish events last week, looking for a Spanish version of RideLondon I guess. There are a few options I found, like the Mallorca 312 that I've already been considering (I think it was this list) If you fancied doing a road event, let me know, I'd definitely consider coming over for it :cool:

I get your chasing a carrot and the Strava colour is quite distinct, but why so much ORANGE. Looks like my 6 year old drew it. But then again - I used my monochrome ELEMNTv1 for many years and even on a BOLTv2 feel I don't gain anything from even the little bit of colour now on it ;) :D
Yeah, you don't have to have it full screen. I've pulled it up at this point. Pages are colour coded is all, Navigation is yellow, notifications are white, climbing is blue, regular data screens are black or white depending your settings.

Ooof! I reckon I could do the 160km and 2.5k climbing right now. Maybe I could train to do the 200k with 3.4k climbing...

It looks like it might be the same weekend as the 312, which I'm thinking about at the moment.

Reactions: fez
Can I check what you mean by "no segment updates during rides"? If you mean Strava Segments, my 1040 will give real time for starred segments (which are sync'd from Strava to Garmin Connect) riding without a route. If you are following a route, AFAIK, you have to plan the route on Strava for the segments to get loaded into the route file.

@SoliD - that's a real kick in the...
Yes I get no segment information at all during a ride. I generally input a route from strava to connect and sync. I have started climbs, but I don’t get the segment timing screen for anything. I have it happen once when free riding, so it does seem to be only when doing a planned ride. But I quite like having routes to follow. After the comments I do wonder whether I should swap to garmin segments to at least give timing comparisons.

What Di2 integration? Gear selection/battery level? Anything more? My old ELEMNT had those as soon as I connected my di2 to it. Wasn't aware it didn't have it before but was blissfully unaware as took me ~10 months of riding di2 before I got the wireless module ;)
I'm referring to the Hammerhead integration that was removed. https://support.hammerhead.io/hc/en-us/articles/360051706614-Hammerhead-Shimano-Di2

On my Garmin the only integration I've noticed are gears and battery as you mentioned and these haven't turned out to be the deal breaking features I thought they'd be.

On my Garmin the only integration I've noticed are gears and battery as you mentioned and these haven't turned out to be the deal breaking features I thought they'd be.
Initially, I'd decided against the Karoo because of this, but I haven't had the gears on my head unit display after the first week of having the option. I will admit to missing controlling the head unit with my hoods a little. Mind you, the Karoo buttons are easier to press than my Wahoo ones, so it's not too bad.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11683995305 Brutal ZRL on Tuesday, especially having not ridden in 'anger' since last Thursday. Somehow got an 11th place but was at/over my limit at several points - just lucky to hang on and then be stubborn enough to be left in the main pack at the later points/climb while others dropped/faded as it was a longer race than normal on a new course...

Changed my chain on my commuter - who was discussing chains earlier? My SRAM PC1130 on there has had a massively shorter life than I'd expect... It went on mid-December and had only done ~1600-1700km. But with the winter we had and the amount of water it had seen I'm not too surprised. Partly why I consider chains a consumable - other reason is I only paid £16.49 for it, so around £2.50 pm... 50-55p a week cost as it's a commuter. ;)

Put a Shimano CN-HG701 I got in a Merlin sale for £18 so will see how that lasts through the UK 'summer'!

Yeah, you don't have to have it full screen. I've pulled it up at this point. Pages are colour coded is all, Navigation is yellow, notifications are white, climbing is blue, regular data screens are black or white depending your settings.
Ah good, so totally customisable. I saw the tabs so figured the colours where for each page. I don't dislike the idea, but still it's very 'garish' to see a massive block of colour, more subtle would suit me. Also (nearly) all the walls in my house are magnolia ;)

It looks like it might be the same weekend as the 312, which I'm thinking about at the moment.
Is the weather really that good in April around the Balearics? Thought it'd be wet. Thought they mostly had a dry winter, then wet spring before the summer...??

Oooh good spot, was totally unaware. Strange Shimano asked them to remove it (while others still have it) for whatever issue (data/privacy/security?) and it wasn't resolved.

Initially, I'd decided against the Karoo because of this, but I haven't had the gears on my head unit display after the first week of having the option. I will admit to missing controlling the head unit with my hoods a little. Mind you, the Karoo buttons are easier to press than my Wahoo ones, so it's not too bad.
Having the battery alert is all I really use mine for after an initial play around on the older setup. Got the module SH and was glad I did - not bothered with getting another for the indoor bike as really pointless. Very glad the RD-R7150 has it inbuilt...!

Last edited:
Had a bit of an epic last night on the gravel bike. Well, as epic as 36km can be! First 6km were just a bit hard work on the roads and then I got into some "gravel". I should have turned around after about 300m but I thought "this will be fine, it will pass".

Huge amounts of claggy mud that there was no chance of getting through on my pathfinder pros. Not sure I would have got through it on my full MTB but at least I wouldn't have been clipped in. There were patches of this for the first km or so of the gravel. Then there were the classic footpaths that are 12 inches wide and completely overgrown with nettles and thorns throughout the ride.

At one point I went off into a lovely forest but again, patches of claggy mud covering the whole path. Some of them have a "high road" just on the edge to avoid the puddle/mud but this one had a **** off big bramble blocking it. Realised too late, it grabbed my hand with the thorns and down I went...into the horrible smelly, muddle, wet mess. Whole side of me covered in mud and soaking. I was too committed at this point to turn around so on I went. The woods was one of those that has a million paths that people have created, semi-created and someone has just walked a few times. I got lost, ended up doing a load of hike a bike and generally wasting about half an hour. Eventually using the garmin I sort of made my way in the right direction until I hit a field and managed to escape onto the road I should have been on.

After that it was generally lovely. Oh and once I got back I was in trouble with the missus because I went out at about 18:45 and told her I would be about an hour and a half, 2 at a push and I rocked up at 21:10 just as the light was fading. I wouldn't have been in such trouble if I had taken my phone with me :p

I got back covered in mud, bleeding from loads of thorn wounds and generally quite tired as I had to push to get back before it got dark. I had no lights on the bike and no phone in case of emergencies. Lessons were learned :)

I need to get a decent front light and I need to get a damn 2x drivetrain. I hate 1x on a gravel bike. Rarely in the right gear for the cadence I want.

Despite it being a bit of a disaster, parts of the ride were magical. If I knew the area better I would wager that I could create some amazing routes around here that are mostly off road and not awful. In time I guess that will happen.

Oh and one final thing, thank christ I had SPD shoes/cleats. I did a lot of walking and I did a fair chunk of clipping in and out. On the recent glorious gravel race I was using my SPD-SL pedals/cleats and I would have been buggered in those.

Last edited:
The one issue with Strava route planners it can be complete pot luck!

I've been wondering recently about new lights. I've always gone for cheap Amazon/Aliexpress options, but with eying up some long Gravel rides which would take me through the night, i presume it needs something fairly hefty!

Presumably it was after SRAM bought them out?
Ahhhh, hadn't realised that. I only tend to follow Wahoo and maybe a bit of Garmin news on head units.

I got back covered in mud, bleeding from loads of thorn wounds and generally quite tired as I had to push to get back before it got dark. I had no lights on the bike and no phone in case of emergencies. Lessons were learned :)
Hahaha love a tale like that! Well done but yeah lessons to be learnt! But also well done for finding that much mud! But isn't that what UK 'gravel' is all about?!

It's been pretty dry here the last week or so - including yesterday evening & today really feeling like summer is here. Glorious. Even had my knees out on the school pickup yesterday - 19 degrees at 3pm! This afternoon might even have my arms out! :D

Then I'm going to be on Zwift indoors riding a TTT at 7.15pm... Idiot! ;) :rolleyes: :cry:

The one issue with Strava route planners it can be complete pot luck!

I've been wondering recently about new lights. I've always gone for cheap Amazon/Aliexpress options, but with eying up some long Gravel rides which would take me through the night, i presume it needs something fairly hefty!
Better with a good hub setup for a dynamo so whatever you're using you can charge/run all night, regardless what light it is.

Lots of places to research details:

Last edited:
Better with a good hub setup for a dynamo so whatever you're using you can charge/run all night, regardless what light it is.

Lots of places to research details:

Hmm interesting, though not sure if it's worth the hassle for a few one off events and having to rebuild wheels!

Guess i just need a light which can work whilst charging, as i'd need a battery pack for my Garmin too

Yeah, worth checking but most battery packs should be able to charge... Although I dread to think of the draw of my Exposure Race, as the housing does get warm and it pumps out a bunch of light! But it will run in various modes so get massive differences in burntimes between them... Look at the Strada - https://road.cc/content/review/exposure-strada-mk12-rs-306105

Maybe that's it, get a decent light with a good runtime (5-6h) for really seeing during proper darkness, with an option to battery pack it to extend a few hours at less lumens. While also some 'be seen' (backup) lights which will run longer than that so you're not reliant on a big light with 8+ hours runtime but also have an alternate/backup for issues and the times you don't need the big one.

I was too committed at this point to turn around so on I went.

You stubborn ******. I love it :D

Did my sweetspot ride outside again this morning. Our local track is bloody glorious ~6am in the summer. It's really bright and the parts cutting through the countryside are so nice to be on and the best news, it is deathly quiet. first 30-45 minutes I saw a handful of people then the closer to 7 it got more commuters were appearing.

I don't think I was alone in thinking to use the path for my interval session though as I saw a few other lycra clad gents doing other efforts. We waved on continued on with our efforts.

• Love
Reactions: fez
Nope, only time I really get to do more than 1 hour on the bike is Sat/Sun morning. Woe is me!

Any of you using Styrkr? Ended up buying quite a bit the other day. Their Snickers/Marathon inspired bar is actually really nice. Tatses like a Snickers but with the consistency of a Lion bar!

Back
Top Bottom