Road Cycling

Soldato
I love 'The Alps effect' your legs get. Of my last 3 rides I've popped 5 or 6 PR's of short 1 minute climbs that I've done many a time. Today's, I moved into the top 50 of 4,600. If I look at 'by age and weight' I would be the fastest ever... (on a Sunday... in June...wearing orange?) :cry:

Soldato
Awesome stuff. Guess compared to some of those mountains. London doesn’t offer much!

I had aimed to get out first thing today to aim for 2 medium length rides back to back. However a late ish night last night and the fact my wife wanted to be up and out by 10am this morning meant I sacked it off.

Went out around 4:30 and it was still 29c. I’m definitely adapting to the heat as it felt more or less fine!

Soldato

fez

fez

Caporegime
Also, it seems i've got a new climb to worry about! I was checking out the main climbs that concerned me on that event and convincing myself i'll be able to manage, and then i've realised there's this climb which seems to have sections around 25% :eek:

On a recent gravel 100km there was a bit that hit 20% for a fair while and kicked up to 24% for small sections. Was quite brutal but honestly it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Had 40/42 gearing as I was on the gravel bike which I guess helped a little as my road bike is 36/34.

You'll be fine!

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yeah, but you’re not fat!

That will just help you not to spin out when the going gets steep!

On an unrelated note. In light of recently getting another bike and the entirely unreasonable expectation of my partner that this bike doesn't live in the house, I want to increase my security in the shed. I have a beefy lock on the shed itself but any criminal with half a brain would realise that the shed itself could probably be ripped apart with their bare hands thus rendering the lock pointless.

So I am wanting to get a ground anchor and a chain to lock all 3 of the bikes in the shed to. Does anyone know of any good and relatively cheap options? Ideally I would like a ground anchor that isn't massive and doesn't have the fitting hardware accessible when the chain is through it otherwise its all a bit pointless.

Associate
I'm filming some footage to make a Karoo 3 review, and threw together a quick clip on Stava Live Segements -

I do like chasing a carrot!
Very nice. Quite frustrated the garmin 840 gives me no segment updates during rides. For navigation, climbpro and data I have been very happy. But it is frustrating that my phone running the garmin app gave me segment comparisons.

Soldato
For me it's super motivational. Even moreso on the big hour-long climbs. It was so motivational on Sa Calobra seeing myself pulling away from last years self. (Not with this unit, but on the Wahoo) With this it will be even better as it shows you your 'carrot' too.

Reactions: fez
Soldato
Realised that the Crux I have bought doesn't allow mechanical 2x at any rate so I don't really have many options. Wide range 1x or electronic 2x.
I guess a large part of that decision is what you're using the Crux for... If it is actually just for CX then easier/better to just be 1x as likely the courses ridden you'd be ok with 1 fairly low cassette... Might also be better as mechanical then too. If you're riding other things and using across more varied terrain then the 2x makes more sense...

Day 3 of cycling in Girona today...1st dry day...hammering down for last days...horrible..
Cycled to Rocacorba, beat my last year's time by 1h lol
There was a lot of walking last year ;)
Great pictures and glad you had some dry days, hope it continued!

Woke up this morning and saw my garage door was open and unfortunately what you all think has happened has happened and i've had my bikes nicked overnight
Nooooo! Horrible to hear! So very sorry to hear this :(

Glad you've got a bike left, but fingers crossed no issues with insurance and you can get the compensation you need to replace the fleet without any hiccups. But we all know it's more than that material aspect of the bikes involved, all the time and love invested. The memories. Make sure you cover everything in the claim - every little bit you can place value on. It might only be £15 for coloured chainring bolts, but if you've an invoice/proof of purchase make sure you document it on the claim - they're obvious on pictures. There might be other bits you can't 'prove' (like bearings or a BB etc).

Had 3 of the bike serials too luckily, make sure you note them down if you haven't. I thought I had all mine but I didn't have 2, luckily managed to find one of them by emailing canyon.
Good job. One thing I do is take a picture of a serial when they're new. they peel off/rub off most things anyway but at least have a reference to it. Same with things like bearing covers and all those 'model number' type stuff which you may need in future to refer to.

Would be ace if there was some 'Database' of bikes & serials, like there is for Cars (MIB)/mobiles etc which was checkable for free/ease... Found this but London only - https://www.stolenride.co.uk/resources/bike-frame-number/

Well this morning has proved I’m a LONG way off the October event!

There’s a local climb of around 450m over around 8km. Ended up walking parts of it.

It’s not particularly comparable as this one starts with around 5km of 4-5% and then the final 3km is around 12% and I find anything over 8-9% just kills me. Whereas the big climb on the event is more of a steady 6-8% which I think I’d cope with better.

Still it’s a good test for me and it’s local so one to strive to get up. Lots of kind cyclists flying down slowed to check I was ok which I felt bad about and then laughed when I just explained I was tired!
Haha, well good to have something local to 'test' yourself on, especially of that length. Get to the point of 'just getting up there without stopping', slowly progress to 'making it up there and not being absolutely gassed' and eventually to the point of being able to 'pace it' so you don't feel overly taxed by getting up there - even slowly - that you could repeat the effort. That way really working towards the technique of being able to pace a climb to make it a repeatable effort, is what will allow you to ride anything at any distance. Especially with the mixture in gradient with the hardest at the top. A prefect training climb!

I've been into the store and had a long chat with them, and switched up to the Supersix. Their thinking was that it's better for me to have a slightly racier bike which will challenge me a bit, than a comfortable but more boring option, and I'm up for that. Excited for my cycle to work voucher to sort itself out and to get moving!
I think you've made the right choice... But was going to check what you'd been riding first - to confirm the Synapse wasn't enough of an 'upgrade' to be worth it for that price. Yes they're a very good bike... But considering how well received the Supersix has been and what you can get them for, they're overpriced in comparison. Better to get the 'better' frame, then spend money making it an endurance bike (wheels/fit/etc) if that's what you require (as can then flip it back to a racier setup when you need/want to when riding with friends etc).

Heading out to Florence this week to start riding the TDF route raising money for charity.

Can't come soon enough really.
Have an amazing time & goodluck! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I think you've made the right choice... But was going to check what you'd been riding first - to confirm the Synapse wasn't enough of an 'upgrade' to be worth it for that price. Yes they're a very good bike... But considering how well received the Supersix has been and what you can get them for, they're overpriced in comparison. Better to get the 'better' frame, then spend money making it an endurance bike (wheels/fit/etc) if that's what you require (as can then flip it back to a racier setup when you need/want to when riding with friends etc).
Thanks! I've been riding a Triban RC500, so pretty upright geometry (and very heavy). Either the Synapse or Supersix would be an upgrade, but I'm keen to get something I can enjoy for a good while, and which can grow with me, rather than something which only suits where I am now. I'm much more excited to be getting the Supersix rather than the Synapse, so I hope that shows that it's a good shout!

Soldato
Great pictures and glad you had some dry days, hope it continued!
Tuesday and wednesday were really wet...i think i iwll need to break pads from all gravel etc on some roads and steep descents
last 2 days were hot.

brought some kind of cold bug home now...mate has covid...

here are few pics - sorry for spam ;)

bzxXzgc.mp4

xwmThYB.jpeg

KvTJoTv.jpeg

HKzzv98.jpeg

fdxRLGF.jpeg

XLkWRxH.jpeg

guDFUt7.jpeg

7NMfIl5.jpeg

yLyayyd.jpeg

GaMrtQ1.jpeg

Soldato
Did you used to have a big beard or have I imagined it and just assumed you to be the bearded type? :cry:
Have you been spying on me ?? LOL
Yeah, every year for bday I trim it down big time and this time all went , first time in 13 years I think... including head ...
Idea was for mates not to recognise me and that worked haha
Even tried contacts so I can wear cycling glasses...that experiment went well as well

Soldato
Very nice. Quite frustrated the garmin 840 gives me no segment updates during rides. For navigation, climbpro and data I have been very happy. But it is frustrating that my phone running the garmin app gave me segment comparisons.

Can I check what you mean by "no segment updates during rides"? If you mean Strava Segments, my 1040 will give real time for starred segments (which are sync'd from Strava to Garmin Connect) riding without a route. If you are following a route, AFAIK, you have to plan the route on Strava for the segments to get loaded into the route file.

@SoliD - that's a real kick in the...

Last edited:
Soldato
Been planning out future targets, and since my previous goal was a 100 mile run before my 40th, and since i can no longer run long distances, i'm switching to similar level bike events.

I've posted before about the Iron Gravel event in Alicante. They're split between the main one and a separate event which is more mountainous whilst still local.

Have set the goal that 2025 i'll attempt the smaller event which is 180km and 5100m ascent in May 2024

The main event in full distance is 360km but only 5300m ascent. If i aim for that in 2026 it'll be around 2 weeks before my 40th. Just looking over the route and around 185km it'll go past my house :cool:

Back
Top Bottom