Road Cycling

Screw you guys. You've got me looking at this because an ebike would fit into my garage quite nicely for easy rides to pubs!

Think I watched a Dave Arthur review of that bike and he was a big fan of the new motor.

Edit: actually I think it was a flatbar bike he reviewed.

Last edited:
It's a pipedream at the moment as €5k is far better spent on a million things! The most likely outcome would be to add a Bafang motor to my mountain bike. Although i do like the look of the Skarper thing which is removable and lets you use it on any disc braked bike.

Woohoo. After this mornings heatwave ride I’m now 94% heat acclimatised.

Did some squats Thursday though for the first time in a while and my quads are still in pieces so was only a short ride. Used the chamois cream but whatever sores were there certainly hadn’t gone. Gonna try some bepantham and give it a few more days.

Woohoo. After this mornings heatwave ride I’m now 94% heat acclimatised.

Did some squats Thursday though for the first time in a while and my quads are still in pieces so was only a short ride. Used the chamois cream but whatever sores were there certainly hadn’t gone. Gonna try some bepantham and give it a few more days.

Maybe you need some time out of your underwear if we are following the baby train of though. Nappy rash is no joke! I'm sure the wife won't mind!

Been thinking about fueling a bit recently and curious what you guys do for longer rides. From listening to some podcasts around long endurance runs and the talk seems to be to aim for ~90g carbs per hour.

It doesn't seem like much until you actually start to look at the nutritional data. A gel is only 22g and then some carb drink mix i have is 30g which isn't something that's easy to be filling up every hour. So i've been curious what people are carrying to hit those numbers on a bike? The thought of 4 gels an hour for 6-7hours isn't something that fills me with excitement. Never mind the cost!

In the past when i ran, i'd take stuff like peanut butter wraps, but even that probably wasn't the highest. Just looking at Jelly Babies (as a firm cycling favourite) and they're showing 21g per 4 sweets, so maybe not a bad option actually. Presume other sweets are comparable.

I would suggest that on longer rides you probably don't need to fuel to that level as you are unlikely to be going very hard. Perhaps 50-60g/hour. Are you stopping at any point as well?

Honestly, I have my own homemade mixture of fructose and maltodextrin which I can stick 120g of in a 750ml bottle if needs be. I usually take a few gels on a ride but almost always come back with them all. If you are stopping for a break at any point, thats probably a good time to take on some more serious calories in the form of proper food.

Yeah. I was wondering if the 90g was more aimed at people really pushing as obviously podcasts are with professionals pushing for podiums etc.

I think my main concern was that underfueling probably starts to cause problems later on when hitting 8-10hrs and beyond. You can easily get through a 4hr ride with pretty minimal furling but I I figure I need to try and prepare for longer rides.

I try to avoid stopping if I can just for time constraints. If I do it’d likely just be at a petrol station to grab some water top ups.

I guess it depends on the brand you use? I've stocked up on a lot of Styrkr as i had planned to do some long rides, then I got ill and have only been out on the bike 2 times in the last 3 weeks (unrelated: Though I somehow hit a PB on a 10 mile TT segment that I've plateaued on for the last 2 years. smashed it by something like 30 seconds last night!!)

But for them, it would be very easy to hit those numbers. I've got their drinks mixes in both 60g and 90g of carbs and their gels come in 50g sachets. Think they do 30g as well. I've also been using Peak Sups tricarb mix, think it was @bastic who vouched for them, and they come in 45g of carbs per 500ml.

Last edited:
Been thinking about fueling a bit recently and curious what you guys do for longer rides. From listening to some podcasts around long endurance runs and the talk seems to be to aim for ~90g carbs per hour.

It doesn't seem like much until you actually start to look at the nutritional data. A gel is only 22g and then some carb drink mix i have is 30g which isn't something that's easy to be filling up every hour. So i've been curious what people are carrying to hit those numbers on a bike? The thought of 4 gels an hour for 6-7hours isn't something that fills me with excitement. Never mind the cost!

In the past when i ran, i'd take stuff like peanut butter wraps, but even that probably wasn't the highest. Just looking at Jelly Babies (as a firm cycling favourite) and they're showing 21g per 4 sweets, so maybe not a bad option actually. Presume other sweets are comparable.

When I used do regular 2hr+ rides, I'd take a 250g bag of Tesco jelly babies (£1.10 these days) and typically pop one every 5-10mins after the first hour (sometimes wondered if I should start eating them sooner). I'd usually go full beans up the climbs (5-16mins up ~260 to 650 feet) and z2 inbetween. If I was doing a monthly 100Km ride, I'd typically be z2/3 for ~4 hours with 4000ish feet of climbing.

Up until last few weeks, my bottles would typically be zero Calorie High5 tablet squash. Currently trying my first tub of High5 caffeine+Calories, so far just one scoop (instead of suggested two) in my 750ml bottle when I've done Zwift races. But as you say, the carbs per bottle isn't huge.

I'm taking 150g of carbs via my 2 drinks for long rides (3+ hours). I may add 1-2 additional gels for 50-100 miles. I prefer getting some real food in me for longer then 50 miles. Long rides are not all out efforts so no need to be constantly consuming like the pros do if you are out there to enjoy the ride and keeping the pace at a easy Z2 or below.

Cheers guys, i agree about getting some real food in and that's why i've been thinking of using wraps and things, just it's harder to use vs running when you have a rucksack.

To also avoid it looking like i'm overthinking things, i'm mainly thinking about progression to rides up to 200miles and trying to set some decent practices early on. Anything up to 4 hours i'm generally good with just some carb drinks and a few gels/bars.

However i know from running that when hitting >10hrs neglecting nutrition early on can be foolish, so as i try and progress from 4hrs to 6-8 hours over the next few months i'm trying to get things into place.

Quick question about my new bike (2022 Cannondale Supersix Evo). It's making a creaking sound when the wheel is turned from the left back to centre - see the video at https://streamable.com/24gdhi.

It seems the same problem, and the same bike, as at https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycling/comments/s80cte/can_you_help_me_diagnose_the_creaking/.

It looks like the general consensus is that it's the cable routing rubbing and not a problem, but a few people suggest it could be more serious.

What do you reckon? Is it worth getting checked out properly? Thanks!

Took it into my local Cannondale dealership and they were totally unconcerned, so all good!

I would be tempted to get that in writing in case there is an issue in future. Rubbing isn't generally a good thing as one of the things rubbing will usually eventually get ruined. Thats either cable or carbon if its the internal routing. It will almost certainly be fine but just in case and you are making a warranty claim it would help to be able to say "I noticed it but your dealership looked and said it was fine".

My experience with the local Giant dealership hasn't exactly filled me with confidence that they are very competent.

I would be tempted to get that in writing in case there is an issue in future. Rubbing isn't generally a good thing as one of the things rubbing will usually eventually get ruined. Thats either cable or carbon if its the internal routing. It will almost certainly be fine but just in case and you are making a warranty claim it would help to be able to say "I noticed it but your dealership looked and said it was fine".

My experience with the local Giant dealership hasn't exactly filled me with confidence that they are very competent.
Cheers! They're also the guys I use for all my services, and have a really decent reputation, so I expect they're ok, but getting it in writing sounds like a good call

Reactions: fez
So after 5 and a bit weeks I've phoned Aviva who have confirmed my claim has been approved, just waiting the offer from the bike department now. So trying to find a road bike now, looking for something for someone who is 5'9, will need electronic gear, preferably Di2 over SRAM, something semi racey, but not necessary full on aero jobby. Want to spend at most £5k including a Power Meter. What's everyone seen so far?

There's offers floating around on "old" Emonda now the new Madone is the Madone / Emonda combined (if that makes sense)

Carbon wheelset at £4500, so enough left in the budget to squeeze in a set of PM pedals like the Assioma Duo.

Bit cheaper but needs a wheelset upgrade for me so could be tight getting them plus a PM inside the budget.

Back
Top Bottom