Road Cycling

Soldato
Heard back finally from Insurers, payout agreed at around £7k so can finally get replacement ordered...!

Erm. Mostly. Well on my Ican bike anyway since i built it with a Sram Force groupset. Although i did go with a rival cassette as i think it was meant to be harder wearing (and cheaper!)

My Trek MTB is a right mix!
Yup, certainly with Shimano lots of people use Ultegra/105 cassettes as they're far harder wearing in bad weather than Dura-Ace.

for wheels, my mate got those and is happy. light and well priced
https://www.pandapodium.cc/product/crw-works-cs5060-disc-brake-wheelset/
great price for the light weight
Very good price for very light wheels! Still not sure how I feel about carbon spokes... Hadn't heard of that brand before.

First attempt of cycling hill reps today. Around 70m over 1.5km so nothing too steep, but enough to feel like a decent effort, and quick enough to fly down to the bottom to restart again.

Looking at splits though (the hill is conviniently a Strava Segment) i was progressively slower with each rep so probably need to try and work on pacing better to push harder rather than taking it easy.
Great work! Well done! :D

I'm normally a fair weather (commuter) cyclist, but opportunities this year have been slim.

Therefore I'm considering taking my road bike out in the rain when our brief summer comes to an end, this will be a real shock for my bike as it's never seen the rain before! :eek:

What bothers me is that part of my commute is a cycle path through a nature reserve which can get quite leafy and muddy.

Before COVID I used to boss through that kind of terrain on my e-mountain bike, but my road bike is a very difficult animal - is there much that can be done to increase confidence, or is it just a case of slowing to crawling pace and sucking it up?
As Martyn says - change your tyres, especially as it sounds like being a fair weather commuter you're now looking at commuting in 'worse' (winter) weather then consider switching out tyres (maybe even wheels!) to something more specific to grip and winter riding.

You don't need to be riding £80 'best' rubber in the winter, if anything that's a big no-no as a complete waste of money. Use a cheaper 40-50 quid if you do want a 'nice' tyre for winter.

Associate
I’m using a cheap Amazon HR monitor ~£25. It has been faultless so far in 3 months. My previous tickR lasted 2.5 years. I think my sweating makes HR monitors a consumable item so I trying to go cheap and replace than pay massive amounts.

Soldato
Heard back finally from Insurers, payout agreed at around £7k so can finally get replacement ordered...!

Very good price for very light wheels! Still not sure how I feel about carbon spokes... Hadn't heard of that brand before.
Amazing news about the insurance!!!
7k can get a really nice new bike those days

asfor wheels and make - its one of the Chineese makes that does have better quality checks so wheels are actually really good.
my guy puts some good efforts and speeds on them and is happy..
once i drop more weight off, i will seriously consider them.

Associate
Decathlon RCR pro ultegra di2 with power meter? Would give 500 to spare. Really is crazy value.

I’m not sure how you can try the bikes though as I don’t think all stores have the top end bikes.

Soldato
Completely missed this what happened to the old one? Also depending on how you get the money you may not wish to spend it all!

Last edited:
Soldato
Been getting a bit of discomfort and conscious it’s the start of a rash/saddle sores. Would make sense given some hotter longer rides recently.

Ordered some Muc Off chamois cream from Amazon. Cried a little that it was €25 for a 250ml pot. However they’ve ballsed up and send me a box of 8 tube :D
Have a look at something called "Runners Rub" as well which, despite the name, is lovely!

Caporegime
Been getting a bit of discomfort and conscious it’s the start of a rash/saddle sores. Would make sense given some hotter longer rides recently.

Ordered some Muc Off chamois cream from Amazon. Cried a little that it was €25 for a 250ml pot. However they’ve ballsed up and send me a box of 8 tube :D
For years, absolutely swore by https://www.assos.com/gb/chamois-creme-200ml-p13-90-927-99.html. As with most of these things its a bit pricey.

Maybe theres some mileage in actual Udder Cream but I dont mind spending some money on keeping my bits happy. I've not used it in a while (focusing on running) but I'm slowly thinking about transitioning back to cycling and its much more expensive than I remember, but then what isn't!

Soldato
Fine... ill be the guinea pig for udder cream..

I'll give weekly updates on whether I start milking or not.

I've got a fresh tin of cream but once this runs out I may try the udder stuff. Reckon maybe add in some tea-tree and/or some menthol oils to jazz it up a bit and it may be just right

Back
Top Bottom