Road Cycling

I'll have September and October and the aim of losing weight for the climbs so it's not out there, but i think the impact of steep hills which absolutely kills my pacing, there's little chance i'll be able to keep up the average pace needed factoring in a few checkpoints. The minimum pace on their site is quoted at 25kph which is around my standard pacing on rides half that distance and without the amount of elevation involved.

Do you have a nice gearing ratio on your bike because otherwise you might struggle. Currently I am pushing 300+ watts to keep moving on most hills of any note around here so my legs take far too much of a pasting to think about doing anything over 1500m on my (admittedly not that long) rides of ~70-80km.

We're only 1/3rd of the way through August though so you have what, 2.5 months? If you really focussed on developing the strength for the hills I think you could do it. An avg. speed of 25kph isn't that hard to maintain as long as you are sensible about your pacing. What I have realised relatively recently is that going easy isn't actually that slow because you don't cook yourself early and then find that you are actually slow despite feeling like you are pushing.

It can seem a black art and even at times I have "WTF is going on" moments on the winter bike. Don't start 10 minutes before you're heading out on a ride, it's one of those jobs to do without pressure IMO.

Park Tools have good videos to walk you through eg

I think I'll give it a go over the next week or so. Still need to order another cassette for my turbo then I can mess around with indexing and try it with power at the same time

Do you have a nice gearing ratio on your bike because otherwise you might struggle. Currently I am pushing 300+ watts to keep moving on most hills of any note around here so my legs take far too much of a pasting to think about doing anything over 1500m on my (admittedly not that long) rides of ~70-80km.

We're only 1/3rd of the way through August though so you have what, 2.5 months? If you really focussed on developing the strength for the hills I think you could do it. An avg. speed of 25kph isn't that hard to maintain as long as you are sensible about your pacing. What I have realised relatively recently is that going easy isn't actually that slow because you don't cook yourself early and then find that you are actually slow despite feeling like you are pushing.

Yeah, think i'm 48/36 and 11-36 so bottom gear being 36/36 keeps things managable. The main issue is i'm also ~105kg and not the strongest, so don't have the benefit of strength many heavier riders would have. A key point would be i'm usually in the lowest gear for say a 12% climb and get fatigue fairly early into those so nowhere to go once that gets bad. Luckily the event is mainly long 6-8% climbs which i can manage better than the shorter steeper stuff.

2.5 months is certainly manageable with full focus. I'd really like to nail 100 miles by the end of August. Current longest is 100km, but with the heat. Finding a time in August do do ~7hrs of riding is tricky. It was my goal for the end of July but issues got in the way. I'm hoping to try and get to some more strength work on squats etc as muscle fatigue kicks in quick on hills for me.

I'm then thinking that to keep a 25kph average over the whole ride, means that factoring in a couple of stops for water/fuel would mean a moving time closer to 28kph i think and i'm very rarely hitting that. My usual hourly rides are 26-27kph and that's with around 25% of the hills.

I'm just being fairly realistic and think if i set my expectation that completing the course regardless of time is a success then anything else is a bonus. I think i'd take more positivity from finishing the event but slowly, than i would completing the shorter course within the cutoff.

Last edited:
Yeah, think i'm 48/36 and 11-36 so bottom gear being 36/36 keeps things managable. The main issue is i'm also ~105kg and not the strongest, so don't have the benefit of strength many heavier riders would have. A key point would be i'm usually in the lowest gear for say a 12% climb and get fatigue fairly early into those so nowhere to go once that gets bad. Luckily the event is mainly long 6-8% climbs which i can manage better than the shorter steeper stuff.

I would suggest that a 1:1 gear ratio probably isn't good enough if its causing you to burn out too soon. Can you go easier?

I'm just being fairly realistic and think if i set my expectation that completing the course regardless of time is a success then anything else is a bonus. I think i'd take more positivity from finishing the event but slowly, than i would completing the shorter course within the cutoff.

Yeah, I agree up to a point. The only issue with that mentality is that its always a crutch to fall back on when you don't feel like doing the training. I think its hard to go for it properly when in the back of your mind you are ready to "just complete it". I don't know how good you are at lying to yourself. Go for the big goal and then see what happens on the day. Don't think about backup plans!

I'm not sure it's possible to get a lower ratio on a road bike is it! Only option would be to drop to a gravel type chainring. Don't think the Eagle cassette of 11-42 work with the Force RD. I just need to get lighter and stronger :P

To be honest i've always been a "Just complete it" kind of guy. Same when i did running. Especially on first events when things were unknown, it was all about completing it for the experience. If i then wanted to "do well" i'd sign up again.

somehow still around lol.

that's what I was thinking.. or just get a whole new bike because n+1 right? saddle height is fine, followed a million guides etc to make sure it's fine. It's the reach that's odd so a longer stem may-be the way forward as this one is 80mm..

never really been down to look at any beaches around eastbourne, west wittering beach is where we usually go down to but it'll be crazy busy if the weather is nice on sunday! enjoy either way..
'Somehow' haha! Tell me about it...

N+1 could work... Although I'm considering it overrated at the moment - It took me 8 years to eventually do it, then 3 months later I was N-1 and injured :cry:

I've got 100mm stems, cheap alloy worn/battered ones admittedly if you wanted a low cost option to try out (just cover postage), but 80mm is short. You're no dwarf so someone before you likely put a shorter stem on that bike.

It's going to be a great weekend away, lucked out with the weather! Now just need to find somewhere nice for coffee, ice cream, sandcastles and a beer or two. Hoping the crowds will be at Brighton, or the other side of the country for Boardmasters in Cornwall!

Nice

I'm unsure if i need to adjust my FD. It keeps dropping when switching from the big to little chainring. I've done ~3000km with the bike pretty much all in nice conditions, although maintenance has been slack to say the least. The rest of the changes are still excellent.

It's not every time, but not sure what could be causing it.
If it's slightly over shifting inwards it is the inner (Lower) limit screw. Sometimes when it is at extremes on the rear, the chainline difference can cause the chain to do different things when the front changes.

I feel like it's option 2 for me. It'll be much more fulfilling i think and by trying to make the decision before hand, it'll help my pacing during the event rather than trying to kill myself keeping up with the pack and blowing up.
I'd probably say keep entered for option 1, it's highly likely on the day (or even the week leading upto the event) you'll be able to drop down... Highly unlikely they'll let you 'move up' short notice. You can decide then - less pressure!

And get riding! You need some long rides, climbing doesn't really matter. Time on the bike is key - even if it's a 'test' by getting your Turbo under some AC and scheduling to ride 'as long as you can' on it.

It can seem a black art and even at times I have "WTF is going on" moments on the winter bike. Don't start 10 minutes before you're heading out on a ride, it's one of those jobs to do without pressure IMO.

Park Tools have good videos to walk you through eg

Mechanical is the best way to learn - but also to start from 'nothing'. A derailleur without a chain, see how it moves and how the tension affects it. See how the limit screws work. That mindset of understanding what each bit does - before then throwing the complexity of indexing on top of it. The limits of the chain are a first step and more important to get right to avoid dropped chains. Indexing is a lot more fiddly and take 'tweaking'.

The problem I always had with mechanical is that everything would be perfect in the stand but as soon as power was going through the drivetrain it wouldn't behave in quite the same way and 2-3 rides later I would be frustrated again. I think there was a problem with the internal cable routing causing friction or something.

Luckily Di2 doesn't have these issues to the point where I don't really think about it any more.
It's usually stretched/old cables & outers... But flex of the frame can be a 'cause' (alloy tends to be worse than carbon) but a loose or bent hanger can also be it. Agreed Di2 is 'easier' (cables don't stretch) but frame/hanger flex obviously can.

Just tweak and fiddle, you can tweak an index anywhere at the roadside - that's why it doesn't need tools. But you have to understand it to get the confidence in fiddling with it - which is far easier with lots of time to learn with no pressure at home! ;)

Went on a little ride before it rains and I have to go swimming to break the chain in.

Made it home without the chain breaking so there is a plus. The first few KM it was really loud and grinding noise, as I was warned.

Though after about 10-15km things basically went silent. Couldn’t really hear it too much over the tyres rolling or the noise deep wheels makes.

Pretty impressed so far. Though it was only 30km lol. It did feel much more smooth but then how much of that is down to a really worn chain and cassette vs brand new ones, who knows

I'd probably say keep entered for option 1, it's highly likely on the day (or even the week leading upto the event) you'll be able to drop down... Highly unlikely they'll let you 'move up' short notice. You can decide then - less pressure!

And get riding! You need some long rides, climbing doesn't really matter. Time on the bike is key - even if it's a 'test' by getting your Turbo under some AC and scheduling to ride 'as long as you can' on it.

Yeah, not planning on officially changing my entry. There is a switch over point, but i think i've made the decision that i'd feel more fulfilled by carrying on solo to finish the full course than switching to the shorter route and taking what's potentially an easy option, as i'd always class that as a failure.

Didn't actually ride at the weekend, although went out on my mtb. Definitely confirmed mt MTB is wasted on me though. Half the descents i ended up walking due to fear of death! A shame, as i think i could get into gravel riding if the trails around here were more fire track style.

I waxed my chains for a while but have gone over to Silca Super Secret lube, it’s nearly as clean running and less faff.

I'm going to buy some of that to use in between deep waxing or if it gets wet.

Went for another easy 50km yesterday and think it's more or less broken in now. I can only slightly hear it over my wheels if I listen out for it. I could hear my friends chain more than mine as we were out yesterday.

Though, I think my favourite part so far is just how clean it is. Still not bored of just grabbing my chain for no reason at all :D

'Somehow' haha! Tell me about it...

N+1 could work... Although I'm considering it overrated at the moment - It took me 8 years to eventually do it, then 3 months later I was N-1 and injured :cry:

I've got 100mm stems, cheap alloy worn/battered ones admittedly if you wanted a low cost option to try out (just cover postage), but 80mm is short. You're no dwarf so someone before you likely put a shorter stem on that bike.

It's going to be a great weekend away, lucked out with the weather! Now just need to find somewhere nice for coffee, ice cream, sandcastles and a beer or two. Hoping the crowds will be at Brighton, or the other side of the country for Boardmasters in Cornwall!

so I've done some measuring etc, and it seems like I've got short torso or average and long arms, I'm only 5'9 so average as.

but my inseam is 31/2" so I've gone on canyon bikes, argon etc to do some "calculations" and most seem to recommend me a small frame size guess due to inseam, a longer stem for longer reach is easy/cheap enough to swap.

there are some good deals on decent spec argons on sigma right now.. hmmm! maybe an extra kicker to get out and ride more.

weather was good this weekend! beach would've been nice but I was on-call all week.

there are some good deals on decent spec argons on sigma right now.. hmmm! maybe an extra kicker to get out and ride more.

Saw a guy at a cafe on this the other day. Obviously not a normal road bike, but looked absolutely stunning.

Saw a guy at a cafe on this the other day. Obviously not a normal road bike, but looked absolutely stunning.

wow! that does look insane...

I was looking at this : https://www.argon18.com/en/bikes/road/gallium-cs-disc/sram-rival-etap-axs

in silver, looks quite good for the money/spec

Last edited:
Did anyone order the udder cream in the end?
Got my tub delivered Saturday, I reckon I go through a tub of chamois cream every month, and now Wiggle don't stock their elite stuff it becomes very expensive. used it yesterday seemed to work absolutely fine, hot day and no undercarriage discomfort today from excess sweating! Will report back after further use!

Got my tub delivered Saturday, I reckon I go through a tub of chamois cream every month, and now Wiggle don't stock their elite stuff it becomes very expensive. used it yesterday seemed to work absolutely fine, hot day and no undercarriage discomfort today from excess sweating! Will report back after further use!

I haven't got around to getting it as I still have some of my chamois cream remaining. I wonder if you bought some tea-tree extract and mixed it in if you could make it so it also has the cooling effect

we have deicded at home today that its time to get rid of wattbike...did not get much use since lockdowns...helped then but got almost any use since...
if anyone is after one ;) gimme a hola LOL

back to wax and chains...so clean even in crap weather is a joke...worst case, give it a bath in boiling water and back as new

mine are in silca, and am using their chain wax lube to top them up

Back
Top Bottom