Road Cycling

Interesting, thanks. I didn't realise that was there. If we do that route (I don't think we will) I'd be tempted to roll down to come back up and tick it off. I have a better chance of doing a very short, very steep climb.

Was the 'steepest street in the world' until 2020/21 that was changed to Baldwin Street in NZ.

Worth doing some googling, I recall at some point (might have been Cam Jeffers or Ed Laverack on a YT vid) where the road was closed and only foot traffic was allowed so they sneakily did it with a friend stood either end to say when it was clear.

Last edited:
Broke 1,000 watts this morning. :cool:

Still 24 seconds off the KOM. Need to shave almost a third off my time. Even if I had Mattieu Van Der Poel leading me out, I just don't know how that would even be possible.

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks. I didn't realise that was there. If we do that route (I don't think we will) I'd be tempted to roll down to come back up and tick it off. I have a better chance of doing a very short, very steep climb.

I walked down that hill when were in Harlech last summer - mainly as I'd spotted the 40% incline sign at the top and wanted to see how bad it was!

It's a pull-up any of the two or three (IIRC) ways from the coast road to the top, so I'd just hit it coming into town. I didn't think it looked that bad on foot - my benchmark for short, stem chewing climbs is either the Koppenberg or Park Rash.

Actually, now I look on Streetview there's a No-entry sign at the bottom so it's downhill only. Bah.

Well, I did Hellfire Pass. Wow, proper brutal! It's interesting, esp given it's one of the Top 100 Climbs, that less than 1,000 people have done it...

z5Yq8fI.jpeg

I stopped twice and I walked about 100m. After a few minutes of 19-20% it was just too much. Also, part of my excuse to stop was under that much strain, whatever that was creaking started to tick/clunk instead. (Does this link work to the video?) I was very worried the bike was just going to break. It's fine under less strain, it's fine in the big ring. The bike is booked for a service on Wednesday at least, so hopefully they can sort whatever it is before Girona.

Been lovely in the afternoon but normal cycling time is as soon as there is enough light to see, I think a thermal base layer may be required now, took me all morning to warm up!

Sounds like you're using my training method of don't do enough then bail on the event :p
Ball is in your court now mate!

Big day out, so much fun times with some friends (met from Zwift) but also absolutely brutal. Can cross that one off as my 'big ride' of 2024. Good to say I've done one this year (over 100 miles) while also a marker for the 'end' of summer and also a mark in the sand to say and prove I'm recovered from my accident & injuries. Especially as weather was good enough for the new bike too (and it was superb!).

Got my sweatbands today. Came in a regular letter envelope so guess that’s how they keep costs low.

Weirdly the two pack was out of stock so ordered a black one and a blue one. Only for them to send me two of each so now I have 4!
Haha awesome! Once you've done some sweaty rides in them give us a mini review :D

Actually, now I look on Streetview there's a No-entry sign at the bottom so it's downhill only. Bah.

Yup, that's actually mentioned on a GCN video I'd forgotten about. Good one with Dan Evans and worth watching!

Well, I did Hellfire Pass. Wow, proper brutal! It's interesting, esp given it's one of the Top 100 Climbs, that less than 1,000 people have done it...

z5Yq8fI.jpeg

I stopped twice and I walked about 100m. After a few minutes of 19-20% it was just too much. Also, part of my excuse to stop was under that much strain, whatever that was creaking started to tick/clunk instead. (Does this link work to the video?) I was very worried the bike was just going to break. It's fine under less strain, it's fine in the big ring. The bike is booked for a service on Wednesday at least, so hopefully they can sort whatever it is before Girona.
Brutal mate, really well done and well ridden - you had some fantastic days there, although caught by rain around Vrynwy on sunday I think I saw? So glad my ride on Saturday was totally clear, there was one point on the ranges/hills above Trawsfynydd there where rain clouds around many of the surrounding hills so we expected it. Thankfully never actually arrived!

The north/easier side we did it from was still utterly brutal. The winding couple of corners and rolling hills towards the top all blurring together hide the summit, seemingly endless until we where suddenly at a cattle grid and mini car park which was it!

Did London to Brighton today, cycled to the start so ended up doing 95km.
Still alive, so happy with that :D
Well done, good one to cross off - but couldn't find another 5km somewhere?! ;)

Got a linky - quite intrigued by the route - after my visit to Eastbourne a few weeks back, it looked like a fantastic area for cycling. Lots of amazing road surfaces, even more amazing segregated cycling infrastructure dotted around!

Well done, good one to cross off - but couldn't find another 5km somewhere?! ;)

Got a linky - quite intrigued by the route - after my visit to Eastbourne a few weeks back, it looked like a fantastic area for cycling. Lots of amazing road surfaces, even more amazing segregated cycling infrastructure dotted around!
Ended up 3k short because we cycled to a pick up as well :cry:

This should work :)

Being able to take the hire e-bike off campus at Longleat Center Parcs last week was a game changer!

Was told continuous middle assistance would cover ~30 miles from full battery, so generally stuck to low on inclines and turned assistance off altogether when I could (which felt a bit weird, like sticky brakes when under ~20kph).

Managed a longest duration ride of just over 3 hours, 39 miles and ~3500 feet climbing, second longest of year (and almost last two years since covid turned into long covid) and probably most climbing.

Was pleasantly surprised to get up Kingsettle Hill by King Alfred's Tower during that long ride, which peaks near 20%, using just the low assistance and a big effort from me... Considering I'm ~96Kg these days and the e-bike was ~25Kg!

Covered ~50 miles and ~5000 feet off 80% of the first battery, then popped to cycle centre for a fresh battery on Thursday, which I hammered on mid assist on a ride that didn't go to plan... Made bad navigation calls winging it several times.

Was a bit of a shock using the turbo back home on Saturday and having to use far more power to keep up with others!

Definitely hiring one next time if I'm still struggling, highly recommended for the experience, was £66 for the stay.

Last edited:
Going to Longleat Centre Parcs with a few friends for our usual friends Xmas get away. It's only ~40ish miles from my house so if the weather isn't trash I'm tempted to cycle there
I kind of did the reverse in November '17, when I was ~74Kg, on my fatbike fitted with 29er wheels rolling 2.35" G One Speeds...

On first day of CP stay, got train to Warminster and then cycled to the Mendips to climb Old Bristol Rd; Ebbor Gorge; descend "Draycott steep" (as running behind schedule) before climbing Cheddar Gorge and riding back to our villa with frozen feet and hands.

Yeah, your ride looked a good one. We were at Vrynwy on Friday. It was just still a little wet where the roads were covered.
It was a really good ride/route. Very lucky with the weather - some damp roads descending to Vrynwy about the only sign we saw (of runoff/the Welsh weather which returned for you on the sunday!). Ride was Epic in so many ways - not to mention it being an audax, so lots of friendly people, well organised & run and a big bowl of chilli & a coffee included at the finish. All for £8.50! But the skies being clear made for amazing views all day, some cold descents - the gusty winds down the main road to Trawsfyndd probably the worst part. Had to really kill off speed for safety (my 404's really not helping things - but our 55kg rider also really struggled there!)

I created a couple of segments (although not traditionally an audax thing to compare rides/times/speeds) but wanted to see how we compared as we set off later than most due to sorting a friends rear brake (very glad we did). Felt like we where flying out (segments prove we where fastest to first CP). Me really pacing the first few climbs slowed our group but our speeds very similar to others across the mid parts. The last flat run in towards Shrewsbury we where also faster than most. So really our more elapsed time than most of the other riders due to spending longer at stops, chatting & taking pictures. But that's what made it so enjoyable - I'm fairly sure we where the only ones singing Diana Ross songs across the top of Bwlch-y-Groes (started from my various kit changes), riding through Bala making 'D1ckhead' jokes (someone leaning out of a window was shouting it), discussing pizza toppings for most of the route next to Vrynwy and singing Yellow Submarine over the dam part... :cry:

Over 10 hours in the saddle, with 8.5 moving time, so we stopped (very roughly) for 1.5 hours. This guy solo did just under 7 hours moving time and was stopped a total of 0.5! Flying!

Bit annoyed with myself I didn't zero my 4iiii after it was obviously reading low earlier in the day. Pulling our group for a large section on the run back was certainly more than 120W - although I was focussed on maintaining speed at that point - 32-36kph (and HR for much of the day) to pace things and not go too deep/hard and then end up empty later in the day.

@Roady amazing effort and one I will not live up to.

I’ve actually dropped to the 80m and 1700m version, although at the moment I’m not even sure I’ll make that.
Trying to focus on steady recovery and not rushing back. Dared have a beer today and was wiped out!
Keep listening to your body - health should always come first! But mindset and willpower can be pretty powerful (lets not call my ride stubbornness but there was probably a large amount of that too)!

Hell, I was pretty silly going in for a ride I knew above my ability and far in excess of any of my recent riding - but knowing I was healthy and in a fairly good place fitness wise (just building back up) with no signs of any of my injuries I wanted to do it... If anything to prove to myself I was capable, while also wanting a 'big ride' as I'd missed a few opportunities earlier in the year (pre-accident and post). I did start to get some 'ache' almost like the start of cramp in my right knee, but doing some floor/hamstring type stretching on the ground at the top of a few climbs helped it and seemed to clear it. Certainly no adverse effects now - even with the inner knee tender to the touch. But it has been a few times when riding hard doing other (more-sensible) things... :confused:

Last edited:
Giant really do have **** customer service. I chased them about the frame a few weeks back because it was coming up to the week they said they would be back in stock and basically he said "yeah, no change, should be back in week 38". Foolishly I expected that they would have one on order for me any when they were back in stock I would have one. Nope. Messaged them again this week to say "they are back in stock on the website, when can I expect to be able to pick up the frame". They don't know. By all accounts they haven't done anything. I could buy one and have it tomorrow but the warranty replacement, who knows? All I got as usual was "I will send them an email to try and get an update".

Its been over 5 months and the only part of their customer service that has been remotely acceptable is the offer of an updated version of the frameset. Every other aspect of it has been ****. Slow to communicate, require constant prodding to get any updates and take ages to do anything.

I'm going to call them today to see if I can get some sort of update on what the hold up is and why it wasn't on order already.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom