Road Cycling

Soldato
On rear lights. Don't bother with Moon. My Nebula failed after 1 year and all they could do was offer to send me a replacement but I pay shipping of $60. You can get a new one for £35-45.

It was a great light when it worked though...

Caporegime
MY exposure experiences have been rubbish, rear light just turns off and has woeful battery life.
Should have sent it back.

I've had excellent returns service for two lights that failed after 5 and 6 years of 30 miles/day commuting all year round (obviously only used them for ~7-8 months of the year), subjected to the worst of the British weather. Had so many new parts installed that the lights were basically replaced for free well out of warranty.

Soldato
Some bloke won a race today on a bike with disc brakes.
Sprint and all.
In the roasting hot desert on the flattest/most boring course known to man where such brakes would be super useful.

Just thought I'd let you lot get at least 1 point in your wrong argument. In the interest of neutrality etc.

:p

Soldato
Some bloke won a race today on a bike with disc brakes.
Sprint and all.
In the roasting hot desert on the flattest/most boring course known to man where such brakes would be super useful.

Just thought I'd let you lot get at least 1 point in your wrong argument. In the interest of neutrality etc.

:p

The extra weight and aero negatives must have really cost him too

Soldato
The Flare is a nightmare, avoid.
Thanks for mentioning, I'd half considered one as a backup!
MY exposure experiences have been rubbish
Which Exposure and which Cateye? I'm still running a Cateye front but lost my rear (RC Mini) during my house move. Had battery life like you mention - never needed charging! :cool:
Had so many new parts installed that the lights were basically replaced for free well out of warranty.
That's amazing to hear. I've had no issues with any of my 3 Exposure Trace's (1 front 2 Rear). My 'main' one has probably had 16 months of 40 minutes daily commuting use and hasn't skipped a beat. They seem very robust (aluminium shell) and incredible power considering their size.
On rear lights. Don't bother with Moon. My Nebula failed after 1 year and all they could do was offer to send me a replacement but I pay shipping of $60. You can get a new one for £35-45.

It was a great light when it worked though...
Yeah I remember your bad experience. Rubbish really! Glad mine is still going strong... Snagged it in an Evans 'open box' sale/deal for £24. When it dies I'll just bin it! ;)
Sorry I'm just crap at explaining myself. From my understanding, FTP isnt something to train towards, its a baseline of power that determines your zones at your given fitness level, its a rough equivalent to your lactic threshold for people that dont train in labs i.e. normal people. Its good to train and improve your threshold power but as you say, that doesn't win races if you are so inclined unless you are perhaps a TTer.

TTE is an extension to FTP, which is the point at where you fail to hold your FTP through fatigue. You use TTE to understand where your fatigue level is in time and use training plans to extend that time, I doubt many people can genuinely hold their 20min flat out FTP for an hour unless you TT a lot, so your power will probably drop off say 40mins in, so you train to make sure you can hold that power longer which improves your TTE.
All good info and you did explain it ok, I think if I was regularly doing FTP tests to monitor training progress I think I'd be doing the longer 1 hour 'pure' test to remove much of the variation and see more real progress, at least once a month anyway.
Well that's me done for January - 503 miles and 29k feet up :)
Good work! Over double my mileage and over 3x the elevation! :o

I did have a rubbish period of ~18 days with only 3 days commuting either end of it due to a week away on holiday. Loved it but should've done more turbo work either side! :(

Anyone Zwifting tonight? Think I'm going to, more to enjoy riding in the dry than anything else. Got soaked 4 times already today and a 5th is incoming when I ride home. Bleh! Might do some mountain reps as we're back on Wattopia and I want to get an idea of how my power thresholds are on the trainer to draw some comparisons when PWM turns up (which won't be on trainer bike).

Last edited:
Associate
The Flare is a nightmare, avoid. I've had loads of issues with both of mine turning themselves off randomly. TraceR on the other hand seems great so far.

Which Flare?

I have the Flare R, as do a lot of riders around here, and no one has had an issue.

The Flare 3 on the other hand... :rolleyes:

Soldato
The Flare is the one with a removable battery - I'm not aware there are different models? The screw on top (which is also the on/off switch) seems to give intermittent connection issues. I've had two manufactured a couple of years apart and neither are reliable. Exposure have been great in terms of warranty/repair but the fixes haven't been permanent.

Soldato
mate of mine just order a Canyon ENDURACE CF SL DISC 8.0.

In stock - delivered in 6 days!

he's only just started cycling and been bitten by the bug already!

Soldato
As stated - it's 5900 ft ;) Enough to warm the legs up :p
They state 5900ft on their page, but the Garmin history of the ride with elevation correction turned on shows 4500ft. That's nearly flat over 100 miles :p
Well that's me done for January - 503 miles and 29k feet up :)
I should be at just over 300miles with 35000ft for January after today :p

Associate
The Flare is the one with a removable battery - I'm not aware there are different models? The screw on top (which is also the on/off switch) seems to give intermittent connection issues. I've had two manufactured a couple of years apart and neither are reliable. Exposure have been great in terms of warranty/repair but the fixes haven't been permanent.

Ah, wrong make LOL

Flare R is Bontrager, Sorry thought it was strange as I haven't heard anyone mention issues with the flare r.

Soldato
mate of mine just order a Canyon ENDURACE CF SL DISC 8.0.

In stock - delivered in 6 days!

he's only just started cycling and been bitten by the bug already!

Dribbling over a Speedmax for TT's currently. Will be at the Excel in 3 weeks time for the London Bike Show. Should probably leave my credit cards at home...

Soldato
managed to punt myself into the back of a car today, while braking, going up a hill (derp)

snapped my right-hand ergo clean in two. I may repair it as it's one of the last ultrashift 10 speed ones. Small hole in my (planet x) tights

the reason i'm telling you all this? I want you to go and check your brake pads. Mine were shagged, and i'm certain it contributed - last time I checked a couple of weeks ago they were a-ok as well.

Back
Top Bottom