Road Cycling

Soldato
Yeah, I agree. It really does depend on how serious you are/willing to be and where you want to take your cycling.
Having the power meter is one expense but then WKO4 purchase and the time investment in learning is very high on both counts, or also, a coach can be an expense outlay as well to have that expertise without learning yourself.

You could easily have your TTE calculated though from turbo and outdoor rides. It is a model so will use the data you do have to estimate all of these metrics. Like any decent metric based system though, the more data you have and the more accurate this is factors greatly on how useful and accurate the modeled figures are (and you need WKO4 for it, did I mention it's expensive? :p )

Certainly interested to learn more, although I do think once you get into the WKO4 metrics you're overcomplicating things for most amateurs. I think it's alimportant to remember that increasing FTP/mFTP should be a "side effect" of your training rather than the goal itself. I think where mFTP can be a good metric is that a lot of training doesn't increase FTP itself but does increase the % of FTP you can sustain. It can be really hard to track that progress with FTP alone as a metric.

Soldato
Something in those mod cookies...as due to his 'spwan' boost and a claimed turbo derp... he came flying past me at about 80mph on Zwift yesterday, his avatar was actually struggling to stay on the bike with one foot unclipped and leg flailling about :eek::p
Single leg drills?! :rolleyes:;)
Yeah, I agree. It really does depend on how serious you are/willing to be and where you want to take your cycling.
Totally agree, to be honest a good/average coach @£30 a month is going to benefit most riders more than a PWM, but as most don't 'get' something physical from coaching, they'd choose the PWM. Although I admit I would too, so would most here, as we like the data side of it and figuring much of it out ourselves. Then again we're mostly a different breed to your weekend club rider.
It can be really hard to track that progress with FTP alone as a metric.
Totally agree, FTP (to me) is little more than a calculation of just above your sweetspot efforts. You can 'easily' increase FTP by continuous sweetspot sessions but it won't make you a particularly good real world racer - you'd lack the power peaks for breakaway/sprints and would probably struggle with technique on twisty climbs with ramps on them. Much the same way that good TT'ers are not really well known as great racers. Dowsett is a prime example, he set the world alight with his TT'ing as a neo-pro but has been pretty average so far in the peloton.

All these Zwift 'CAT A/B' racers. Most would probably struggle in real CAT 3/4. Real racing is generally crit sprints and breakaways, not holding X w/kg for 45 minutes.

Soldato
All very interesting and have to say I agree from a coaching perspective and from your view, it's a better metric. FTP should not be as important as most seem to be placing it.

The FTP test still has it's place, but I think only really for amateur's as a fairly 'easy' measure of performance benchmarking around other training. Those 'professional' enough moving forwards with more enthusiast training, looking at coaching and racing should be looking to using more involved/informative structures and measures of power/endurance.

If you're just racing crits/circuits, intervals and FTP have their place. If you're looking at road racing then it should be more endurance and sweetspot (like TTE). I imagine it's pretty hard to measure TTE on your own in your garage on the turbo one evening after work. ;)

FTP is important as its part of the puzzle, just as TTE is. Its part of the same thing devised by the same bloke to improve performance. It isn't one thing or the other but a combination, if I'm not mistaken so that depending on your chosen discipline, you train to specific plans to improve the areas you want to improve on your power graph.

Last edited:
Soldato
A question on Shimano Di2 Ultegra

I'm interested in synchro shift - Can I just buy the new Dura Ace junction box to make it work on Di2 Ultegra ?

Soldato
A question on Shimano Di2 Ultegra

I'm interested in synchro shift - Can I just buy the new Dura Ace junction box to make it work on Di2 Ultegra ?

My understanding is all you need is the BT-DN110-1 battery and then update the firmware on all the devices.

R9120, R9170 - syncroshift enabled with firmware 3.2.0 or newer
6870, 9070 - syncroshift enabled with firmware 3.2.1 or newer
6770 - no syncroshift

needed: new battery/mount
not needed: wireless unit
old junction EW90 is ok
new junction RS910/RS911 is optional

shimano rep:

Road Synchro requires the new BT-DN110 battery as well as Synchro-capable firmware written to all the other components. The updated EW90 with firmware v 3.0.4 (or newer) controls Road Synchro function provided that the rest of the system has the Synchro-capable firmware too. Last week's E-Tube Project app version 3.2.0 does not support Road Synchro from 6870 or 9070...The next version release will bring Road Synchro to 6870 / 9070. We're expecting it shortly after the new year.

Soldato
Hmmm, what difference does the battery add?

It holds the controller for the system, you also need the later battery (along with the ANT+/Bluetooth module EW-WU101) if you want to be able to connect with the iPad app.

The ANT+ module also allows battery levels/gear status/trim adjustment on your Garmin cycle computer.

Soldato
Is is easy to swap the old battery for new?
Can the EW-WU101 module just be used for app access to adjust the settings then unplugged ?

Soldato
Battery is a very easy swap, you can connect a computer with USB via the junction box so unless you want to connect your cycle computer no need to get the EW-WU101.

Ive looked at this and the PC interface (SM-PCE1) is about £130 and the new module is £63. It also looks easier to update the settings via the iOS App.

Thanks for your help on this :)

Soldato
Ive looked at this and the PC interface (SM-PCE1) is about £130 and the new module is £63. It also looks easier to update the settings via the iOS App.

Thanks for your help on this :)

You should get the Dura Ace/Ultegra Di2 Internal Battery Charger with your bike this allows you to connect a computer via USB.

The SM-PCE1 is more for bike shops where you can directly connect each component.

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah - I'm booked for it with about 5 or 6 other cycling mates. Making a weekend of it. Got 2 nights B&B booked so can go out after it!

Get yourself booked for it - if you fancy it let me know and I'll send you a email with our "group" code to make sure your in the same wave as us if you want.

I'm going for it. Likely going through a media entry so not sure if I can do the group signup thing but I'll find out.

What sort of time / speed are you guys likely to complete it at? I was thinking a max of putting down ~3.5 hours moving time.

I'll likely be coming up on the Saturday and back down on the Sunday (from London).

Man of Honour
OP
My attempts to do a load of local hills last year were less than 100ft/mile. Though really it was more like 0ft/mile for 30 miles and 140ft/mile for the rest.

https://www.strava.com/activities/658758546
https://www.strava.com/activities/606052633

Finally ordered all (hopefully) the kit I need to turn my turbo bike into a CXy off-road machine. Hopefully I can build that up over the course of next week and get out on some mud in Feb.

Back
Top Bottom