Road Cycling

IndigoGorilla;30481090 said:
On the food note I meant I will be eating more but wondered how much more I should be eating rather than asking if I should, I didn't word that one in the best way at all!

Ahh right, I'm with you now. Well you could just quintuple what you eat for your 2m commute :p

How long is a piece of string? Assuming a 150w avg = 540cals/hr, 200w=720cals/hr. I'd also consider not just the amount of calories but reflect on the profile of your ride, if it's pretty flat and steady state and your HR stays mostly in your aerobic zone then you're not going to need 150g+ of carbs. Vs up and down steep rolling hills.

Equally it might be uphill on the way in and mostly flat on the way home. Or you might find a head/tail wind on some days. Or you draft a bus for 5 miles. This is why everyone should buy allllll the PM's ;)

A safe bet would be 4-500cals extra each way assuming the amount of effort or work is similar on both stints. If you find you're slowly losing weight or not recovering then increase this. I wouldn't worry about gaining weight as being on the bike 2 hours every day it'll be easy enough to quickly create a deficit and shift any short term gain while you find the right balance.

I'd also not forget to address mobility & stretching work either as another 5-6 hours cycling a week will warrant it.

I will be having Thursday and Sundays off too so thankfully that splits my week up quite well too.

'Don't stand when you can sit, don't sit when you can lay, don't lay when you can sleep' :p Try not to be overly active on rest & recovery days either :)

Knee is ****ed at the moment, inside of the leg. Don't know if it's riding or something else. Kneed (see what I did there) to find somewhere for a decent setup either way to rule it out of the equation as I've only ridden once this week :(

BennyC;30479984 said:
To be honest the reason it's more taxing is because you're hitting (probably) 90%+ of MHR without likely being thoroughly warmed. Generally going that 'deep' will take it out you regardless of how long in to a ride you are.

Without realising on Saturday around 15 mins in I peaked at 96%, legs felt fine, strong etc but CV wise I was deeper than I realised and have paid for it slightly in the days that followed :)
I'm definitely doing that, at least at lunchtime when I'd riding solo, the morning and evenings (with the +1 in tow) I'm not. A warmup would seriously eat into my lunchtime but reducing the HR/intensity is certainly possible. I think I'm subconsciously doing it later in the week anyway, as I'm more tired but I'm usually pacing myself more in preparation for weekend riding. Need to get TP sorted now I've got the PWM, it'll make things like TSS and CV much easier to log/understand! :)
ShiWarrior;30480140 said:
looks good Roady, do you have one ?

little bit concerned as you need to inflate partially to get the inner tube rounded out before you wack up the pressure, can you do a little by little with the co2 on that Lezyne?
I've the combo one but not used the co2 side of it yet, I've not needed to inflate a tyre with a big group waiting! Sure that'll soon come in the summer! Have used the hand-pump side of it 5-6 times and it works well. Obviously as it's a hand pump you can use that side of it until the tyres seated, then switch to co2 - not really requiring a shutoff! :)
IndigoGorilla;30480983 said:
Speaking of commuting how do those of you who do manage it and still keep fresh for cycling in your leisure time as well?
I ride easier Thurs/Fri to try and freshen up, Thursday usually coincides with our weekly shop directly after work, so I've been driving it in any stinky weather (as an excuse to have a rest day). Summertime before a Sportive/etc I'll be really low intensity all week and possibly even drive 2 days.
17 miles there, 16.5 on the way back. Managed it in 1.15 today including traffic stops, moving times were otherwise 1.07 there and 1.09 back.

Feel ok so far this evening but at the same time doing this 5 days a week will no doubt start to set some fatigue in, anything I can do to safeguard against it?
Volume. What's your weekly volume like now? As you'll be potentially doing an additional ~200 miles a week. If your current/average volume is under 100 it'll knock you for six, even just riding 3-4 days will load you with so much fatigue if you're continuing with weekend riding you'll find it hard. If your volume is currently over 100 your body should adapt quite quickly to the increase if starting at 3-4 days and decreasing the leisure miles slightly.

Basically if you're going from 50 mile weeks to 200 miles it'll hurt! 100 mile weeks to 160-200 will be much easier adaption. Von would be a good one to offer his experiences as he switched his commute last year to quite a long one.

Regardless, you'll sleep like a baby! Just make sure you factor in all the extra rest you'll now need. No point getting up 2 hours earlier to commute, if you're not going to bed at least 1 hour earlier! :eek:

I sleep 7-7.5 hours a night during the week, I do need a 8/9 hour night over the weekend to feel fresher. But I am old (36)! When younger, very unfit but with a slightly more active job I'd sleep 5-6 hours a night.
And how much more should I be eating if I'd usually be 2 miles to work, I'm thinking an increase in food would be a good idea but don't want to be overeating either.
Will totally depend on you! Larger quality portions in the evening should help with the energy in the mornings (as will eating soon after you're home in the evenings). Protein shakes are probably the way to go, one after every ride will help immensely with your recovery. I'm using powder from TPW which Benny recommended for quality:value and I'm enjoying it (Banana chocolate fudge!). Holla him for a referral ;) Although that's only after turbo/leisure rides, not my short commutes.
#Chri5#;30481142 said:
What sort of facilities do you have at work? I love a milkshake post ride or long-run (goes down easily with minimal mess). High5 and SiS powders make a decent shake (with fresh milk), though the Elivar sample I tried was utterly minging.
I found the tastes of High5/DHB branded very 'meh' (even though I like their gels), SiS/Ettix I found great but taste very strong and a little expensive. Really enjoyed the Powerbar ones (Lion flavour is amazing!) but again expensive.

With a Tesco that close, chocolate milk would be a good shake substitute/lunchtime. Things like Pasta and fish (eg sandwich fillers) also good/easy protein & carbs.

randomshenans;30481771 said:
Knee is ****ed at the moment, inside of the leg. Don't know if it's riding or something else. Kneed (see what I did there) to find somewhere for a decent setup either way to rule it out of the equation as I've only ridden once this week :(

Find a local physio - I had a sudden knee pain and it lasted about 3 weeks before I went to see a Physio. Turned out to be a torn muscle in my upper leg (Vmo, vastus medialis oblique) which was giving me knee pain.

A good physio session (man it hurt at the time), some kinesio tape and it was sorted. No issues since.

randomshenans;30481890 said:
Yea, I need to tell my agency that I've had an accident so I can get them to sort it :p

It'll take no more than one session with any half decent physio, they'll instantly know what you've done and tell you what you need to do to fix it. Private in the UK is usually around £40 a session but often the first session costs more because of getting forms filled out etc before they'll go anywhere near you.

randomshenans;30481771 said:
Changed anything with shoes/cleats/saddle height?

I've got a slight niggle after my turbo last monday but it was the first real long sesh after a saddle change. Going to check height positioning later (checked fore:aft & distance to bars when I fitted it)! I've had no foot pain (my usual gripe when saddle is high) so it might be saddle is a touch low. Swapped from the very flat Arione, to the Phenom which dips more in the middle and the nose. :rolleyes:
merlin;30481967 said:
Private in the UK is usually around £40 a session but often the first session costs more because of getting forms filled out etc before they'll go anywhere near you.
He's in France. They'll just say "too beaucoup grande pain au chocolate!" and whatever the French for 'MTFU' is.

Ok I'm starting to investigate luggage options for my 400 mile ride in May. Its over 6 days.

I don't really want to fit a pannier rack but I can do. I've seen some pretty cool seatpost attached bags that take a reasonable amount, anyone know one that would hold enough stuff? I reckon I'd need two pairs of shorts, the usual cycling kit, I want to take some tools, and a set of clothes or two for the evenings.

platypus;30482979 said:
Ok I'm starting to investigate luggage options for my 400 mile ride in May. Its over 6 days.

I don't really want to fit a pannier rack but I can do. I've seen some pretty cool seatpost attached bags that take a reasonable amount, anyone know one that would hold enough stuff? I reckon I'd need two pairs of shorts, the usual cycling kit, I want to take some tools, and a set of clothes or two for the evenings.

Go for panniers it's the sensible choice. Two bags plus top bag should be plenty.

I guess if you're travelling that plus more you could look a trailer.

Lethal`;30483089 said:

I have an alpkit framebag for my MTB. It's nicely made.
lTNg5oZ.jpg

The saddle bag in that image is one I made myself but it's also worth looking at Wildcat gear and UralTour.
The uraltour website is terrible but I got a set of poggies made by them and didnt have any problems.

I've also done this sort of thing on the road with panniers. They are good for holding a large amount of stuff but they are heavy and put all the weight over the rear wheel which effects handling badly. I much prefer lightweight bags spread across saddle, frame and handlebar to distribute the weight evenly.

platypus;30482979 said:

Mate of mine got some Apidura and was very impressed. They look good for quick on and off usage but obviously bit more expensive.

touch;30483155 said:
I have an alpkit framebag for my MTB. It's nicely made.
lTNg5oZ.jpg

I've used a fair bit of Alpkit's stuff for hiking but never any of the bike stuff - just heard good things.

On another note is that aero bars on your MTB?

Lethal`;30483285 said:
On another note is that aero bars on your MTB?
Lots of the audax guys have 'aero' bars - just another place to rest your hands during long miles for some variation. Saw one guy with wide set bar extensions on so he could rest a map on them! :eek::cool:

EDIT: Lunchtime fail at 'easy' riding. Tried to keep power below 250W on the flatter/downhill and found it hard lol? 103% intensity! :o

Is it just my mindset of maintaining cadence and carrying any speed rather than really easing off? I can ease off on hills but on the flat/downhill I can't seem to do it!? :(

Roady;30483404 said:
Lots of the audax guys have 'aero' bars - just another place to rest your hands during long miles for some variation. Saw one guy with wide set bar extensions on so he could rest a map on them! :eek::cool:

EDIT: Lunchtime fail at 'easy' riding. Tried to keep power below 250W on the flatter/downhill and found it hard lol? 103% intensity! :o

Is it just my mindset of maintaining cadence and carrying any speed rather than really easing off?

Yeah I wasn't slating it. More interested for the reason but makes sense as extra mounting point. I can't imagine going aero too much on many mtb courses unless mostly fire road.

Failed at getting a RideLondon place again. 3rd time unlucky.

Roady;30483404 said:
Is it just my mindset of maintaining cadence and carrying any speed rather than really easing off? I can ease off on hills but on the flat/downhill I can't seem to do it!? :(

You're not training, you're commuting ;) ride conservatively. 10-15 revolutions and coast for a 10-15 seconds, should bring your average down even if your actual output under load is the same.

You really must be trying far harder than you realise or let on as your max HR & power are far outside the believable zones of 'I wasn't aware' :o

Lethal`;30483641 said:
Yeah I wasn't slating it. More interested for the reason but makes sense as extra mounting point. I can't imagine going aero too much on many mtb courses unless mostly fire road.

Failed at getting a RideLondon place again. 3rd time unlucky.
Doh! Get a Charity place?

Unsure if it'd interest you (or platypus), but a couple of years back I came across James F's travel blog linked from these very forums. He rode from London to Shanghai, there's quite a few tidbits in there over gear, most of it camping related, but I'm sure there are several bits of bike/bars/mounting bags etc. He certainly mentioned kit which didn't work well! ;)
BennyC;30483654 said:
You really must be trying far harder than you realise or let on as your max HR & power are far outside the believable zones of 'I wasn't aware' :o
Definitely! Need to teach myself to take it easy! I find the morning/evening slow commutes (with the +1) really 'hard' riding at that low intensity! I quite regularly zone out in the mornings and am concentrating so much on holding 15/16mph she complains I'm 'in a mood' and ignoring her lol :o :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom