Road Cycling

#Chri5#;30486086 said:
I follow Rob Hayles on Twitter and he re-tweets some of the work done by Re-carb

https://twitter.com/Re_carb

Looks like decent work but don't know much about them otherwise.

Cheers, have dropped them a mail cheekily asking for discount as I'm reading his book, good response saying he'll take off if I bought it but if I'm borrowing it he'll add on the cost :D

Lethal`;30484914 said:
Regarding charity. It's a bit hard to convince family/friends/workmates that 100 miles will be a challenge when they all know I cycle pretty regularly and the min sponsorship for most is £500+
Ah, but it's for charity, not for them paying you to do it! ;)
SoliD;30486733 said:
good response saying he'll take off if I bought it but if I'm borrowing it he'll add on the cost :D
Hahaha, don't play cheeky if you don't expect a cheeky response! ;)

Email correspondence with Powertap and I commented 'the numbers are a bit low' and the guy said I'd have to pay extra for them to recalibrate it with an offset outside of their +/- 1.5% spec! Lol :D

What's up with your 'dale? :(

Roady;30486916 said:
Ah, but it's for charity, not for them paying you to do it! ;)Hahaha, don't play cheeky if you don't expect a cheeky response! ;)

What's up with your 'dale? :(

True, was expecting it! :D

I will comment on the latter item once it is all confirmed.

SDK^;30487003 said:
Over 2 hours in a minus 2 wind chill today - One of the toughest rides I've ever done.
Miserable here too, around 2 degrees but with the windchill feels more like zero. No ice around thankfully!

Didn't enjoy my lunch commute in it, trying to keep it under 250W on the climbs but when I'm dropping below 13mph it feels too slow so I find myself pushing up to 300W a couple of times! :o :rolleyes:

EDIT: Going to abuse myself on these couple of loops when the weather permits: Dorstone, Urishay & Watery, Loop of pain.

Headwind was killing me this morning every lap of a short circuit.

Think some certain fatigue as yesterday's max heart rate was 201bpm... today 186bpm and even ~150 felt like hard work in the legs.

Roady;30487351 said:
Young whippernappers! :eek::rolleyes::p

I've seen it at 206 so yeah I'm 14 according to 220-age :p

So looks like I'm doing an 18km cycle of a relay (screw going full triantelope) triathlon with workmates in a month. How does one pace that off HR alone and what would be good training?

Our swimmer competed in the paralympics at Rio! :eek:

Lethal`;30487439 said:
I've seen it at 206 so yeah I'm 14 according to 220-age :p

So looks like I'm doing an 18km cycle of a relay (screw going full triantelope) triathlon with workmates in a month. How does one pace that off HR alone and what would be good training?

Our swimmer competed in the paralympics at Rio! :eek:

All out for all of it, only 11 miles, so 30 minutes riding :D

Lethal`;30487439 said:

It's just a TT since you don't have to swim before it or run after it! Surely you've done 1-lap and 3-lap TTs of RP? How are you pacing those?

You'll know you've paced it correctly if you collapse giving your runner the time chip.:D

So here's the route for anyone thats interested.

Tuesday 23rd May - Bury St Edmunds to Boston - 86.40 miles
Wednesday 24th May - Boston to Beverley - 78.22 miles
Thursday 25th May - Beverley to Kettlesing (Via York) - 73.43 miles
Friday 26th May - Kettlesing (near Harrogate) to Gateshead/Newcastle - 80.28 miles
Saturday 27th May - Gateshead to Berwick-on-Tweed - 94.14 miles
Sunday 28th May - Berwick-upon-Tweed to Edinburgh - 85.03 miles
Monday 29th May - Edinburgh to Loch Lomond - 61.04 miles.

Giving a grand total of 558.54 miles :eek:.

Lethal`;30487439 said:

THR or LTHR and then blow up for the final/few KM :cool:

platypus;30488164 said:
So here's the route for anyone thats interested.

Tuesday 23rd May - Bury St Edmunds to Boston - 86.40 miles
Wednesday 24th May - Boston to Beverley - 78.22 miles
Thursday 25th May - Beverley to Kettlesing (Via York) - 73.43 miles
Friday 26th May - Kettlesing (near Harrogate) to Gateshead/Newcastle - 80.28 miles
Saturday 27th May - Gateshead to Berwick-on-Tweed - 94.14 miles
Sunday 28th May - Berwick-upon-Tweed to Edinburgh - 85.03 miles
Monday 29th May - Edinburgh to Loch Lomond - 61.04 miles.

Cheers, I was debating taking the North Sea cycle route when I buy my touring bike to trial it out but the other way, Edinburgh to home in Bucks as I work in Edinburgh.

Bear;30488365 said:
Cheers, I was debating taking the North Sea cycle route when I buy my touring bike to trial it out but the other way, Edinburgh to home in Bucks as I work in Edinburgh.

Its not quite the most direct route, but I do think its a nice route.

Shamrock;30487803 said:
It's just a TT since you don't have to swim before it or run after it! Surely you've done 1-lap and 3-lap TTs of RP? How are you pacing those?

You'll know you've paced it correctly if you collapse giving your runner the time chip.:D

Done some 3/4-hearted 1-lap efforts at RP with no real pacing strategy. I usually found that I have more gas in the tank for the final leg up Sawyers from Roe gate and kill myself going up that! :D

I think I generally take the start (Richmond->Kingston) a bit too easy. Hate that bumpy surface from Ham!

Think I need to try some flat circuit somewhere for a proper test. Considered driving out to the real circuit but it's got a traffic light that won't be active on the day so not ideal.

With cold weather and miserable winds forecast the next 5 days I moved my turbo inside to hit some of the Sufferfest (before my free 7 days is up). Really enjoyed it and didn't melt like I thought I would (even though the other half had the heating on!). Loved having a big 36" TV! :D
20170209_195338.jpg

This is our 'second lounge'/home office (with 2 PC's in the corner). Oh and my coach. He soon got bored of my huffing and puffing though! :rolleyes::p

https://www.strava.com/activities/860931834

Lethal`;30487439 said:
10 mile TT training! Your fitness is fine, you know what your threshold is and you're fit enough to be able to ride at it for 30 minutes. If you know the route look up the elevation profile and usual speeds/wind conditions (if it's been ridden by others before) to determine what kind of local similar route you could use for training. Go out and ride it as hard as possible in some different conditions/wind directions to figure out what your time is going to be like (maybe even tell how competative you are!) and then figure out if you want to do more specific training for parts of it! :)

How good is your runner? Could be on to a winning team with you and the swimmer! :D
platypus;30488164 said:
Looks ace! Amazing way to see some of the country! :D
hornetstinger;30488469 said:
Unless triathlon cycle on the sea bed with a snorkel, they're cheating.
xrKOSq4.gif

Roady;30489604 said:
https://www.strava.com/activities/860931834

10 mile TT training! Your fitness is fine, you know what your threshold is and you're fit enough to be able to ride at it for 30 minutes. If you know the route look up the elevation profile and usual speeds/wind conditions (if it's been ridden by others before) to determine what kind of local similar route you could use for training. Go out and ride it as hard as possible in some different conditions/wind directions to figure out what your time is going to be like (maybe even tell how competative you are!) and then figure out if you want to do more specific training for parts of it! :)

How good is your runner? Could be on to a winning team with you and the swimmer! :D

Aha. I don't think I'll be super fast though... Runner isn't anything special as far as I know. Just runs now and again. More doing it for fun/charity Red Nose Day event.

The course effectively laps of this - https://www.strava.com/segments/10765512

A whopping total of 19ft elevation gain over 10.5 miles. That'll be the speed bumps! :D

I should work out my threshold heart rate. I've never done a proper test but I was reading the TrainingPeaks instruction of doing 30 mins all out and taking average of last 20 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom