Road Cycling

Soldato
I wonder if it was your friendly club that rode past me when I was broken down on the side of the road on the Tring high street this morning :(

Ooo-errr. We didn't go through Tring today. I don't think any of the routes did. What time? I rode through & back at about 7:20 and 11:20 :/

Blue & Yellow jerseys?

Ah I was just on about tube patches http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-puncture-repair-kit-super-patch/ Pretty much just peel off the patch and apply it.

I think Roady had linked something else for tyres.

Ahh okay, think there are 'tyre patches' too, same principle I guess. If you've got some distance to go and need to save tubes &/or know where the puncture is they could be preferable.

Soldato
Ooo-errr. We didn't go through Tring today. I don't think any of the routes did. What time? I rode through & back at about 7:20 and 11:20 :/

Blue & Yellow jerseys?

About 7am ish I was in a blue jersey. It doesn't matter, I was just in a bad mood as three groups passed by in space of about 10 mins and not one offered any assistance, not that anyone is obliged to but it would have been a nice and kindly act even if they couldn't help.

Soldato
About 7am ish I was in a blue jersey. It doesn't matter, I was just in a bad mood as three groups passed by in space of about 10 mins and not one offered any assistance, not that anyone is obliged to but it would have been a nice and kindly act even if they couldn't help.

I'd have even done it for you if I were passing ;) You're local then?

Did have 2 guys ask if I was alright in the week when I was actually just waiting for a colleague who was running late :p

Soldato
Well I finished giving my dads old bike a brief service to get it back up and running.

It is an old Olmo frame from late 90's with some salvaged Campag stuff on it. I did a minor service (my first time servicing a bike) and did the following :

• Removed threaded headset/fork and cleaned/re-greased the bearings.
  • Removed cranks (square taper Campag cranks) and cleaned.
  • Removed Campag 8 speed cassette and cleaned each sprocket then replaced.
  • Replaced 8 speed chain.
  • Cleaned both derailleurs.
  • Replaced the gear cables/outers.
  • Re-indexed the gears.
  • Replaced bar tape.
  • Replaced inner tubes.
  • Removed and replaced SPDs with my old ones from my road bike.

I came across a couple of stumbling blocks. First one I over tightened the campag lock ring when re-attaching the cassette, I sheared the locknut in two!
The rear mech barrel adjuster was snapped in two when I removed the cables, had to source a new one.

I think both these small pieces of metal ended up costing about £15 :(

Quite happy with it all. The wheels need a bit if a service as well. The bearings need cleaning/checking and the wheels need checking.

Annoying though as I had to buy or think about buying some campag specific tools :( so I didn't do as thorough a job as I wanted.

Edit - Picture added.

uip1Vdo.jpg.png

Last edited:
Associate
I'm looking for some thoughts on powermeters, in particular pedals, single sided vs double sided.

I've never trained with power before so I thought one sided would be sufficient to get me going (probably Garmin Vector), for those that are using double sided - would I be missing anything significant by not having double sided or can single still be used as a great training tool?

Soldato
I'm looking for some thoughts on powermeters, in particular pedals, single sided vs double sided.

I've never trained with power before so I thought one sided would be sufficient to get me going (probably Garmin Vector), for those that are using double sided - would I be missing anything significant by not having double sided or can single still be used as a great training tool?

Single sided PM's are perfectly fine as a training tool. If you were really trying to optimise power output with a perfect balance, recovering from injury or addressing historic imbalance then some L/R metrics would be useful but at double the cost for someone looking to start out with power it quite an extra expense unless you're feeling flush...

For example in a sprinter particularly I could see L/R data being quite useful. For the average joe/recreational rider/occasional racer single sided would be fine I should think.

Single sided PM's just double whichever side they are reading to establish total power so doing any single leg drills or isolation work would be fruitless. A dual sided PM would also be more accurate overall (for power, calories and subsequently TSS & IF) particularly if you did have a significant power imbalance.

When I was setting up mine the other week I had a quick play with some intervals and short sprints, a little more spread can be seen when sprinting. Yesterdays 66m shows 50% which is spot on over the 4 hours odd riding :)

l3FCynI.png

Soldato
That looks like a minor left bias to me :confused: Something in the region of 53L/47R

That was, I was fiddling about on the turbo trying some sprints so not particularly focused.

My ride at the weekend shows 50% :)

O59r8NY.png

Frustratingly the Elemnt file doesn't seem to show any balance metrics on Garmin Connect but when using my 500 did, will have a fiddle and see if I can find a solution.

Soldato
Ah got you. How are you finding the Wahoo?

Really good, definitely no regrets this far. Changing screens can be a little sluggish on longer rides but I used to get this with my 500 too. There are loads of updates past/future so any bugs are being promptly ironed out.

So easy to customise screens and zooming data is really handy too. Would definitely recommend people consider it if looking to upgrade.

It's priced well too considering the 820 is £300+. Actually managed to get my Elemnt for £200 in the end. Platinum discount on Wiggle makes it £220 and Quidco will get another 3% back on that and I twisted an arm for a price match on top.

Associate
Thanks for that reply BennyC, seems to fit exactly my train of thought!

I'd love to crunch through the data of a dual sided but I think for half the price the single will do me, my left leg may be stronger/weaker but as long as the data is consistent it should be a great training tool for solo rides.

I think I'll keep an eye out see if I can catch a bargain from somewhere!

Back
Top Bottom