Road Cycling

Soldato
Got a problem with my single-speed that I can't diagnose. I got a new wheelset in Feb (Mach1 rims with Miche track hubs) and at the same time fitted new chainring, freewheel (Halo clickster) and chain.

It may be my imagination but recently I've felt it's been harder to ride and put it down to tiredness/headwind etc.

What I noticed was if I lift the back wheel off the ground and spin the cranks, the wheel stops freewheeling nearly immediately, almost like there is brake rub (there isn't). What could this be? I have a hard time believing the Halo clickster or the Miche hubs are b0rked after less than 4 months but I don't know what else it could be.:confused:

Soldato
Got a problem with my single-speed that I can't diagnose. I got a new wheelset in Feb (Mach1 rims with Miche track hubs) and at the same time fitted new chainring, freewheel (Halo clickster) and chain.

It may be my imagination but recently I've felt it's been harder to ride and put it down to tiredness/headwind etc.

What I noticed was if I lift the back wheel off the ground and spin the cranks, the wheel stops freewheeling nearly immediately, almost like there is brake rub (there isn't). What could this be? I have a hard time believing the Halo clickster or the Miche hubs are b0rked after less than 4 months but I don't know what else it could be.:confused:

something is definitely dragging.

pop the chain off and spin the wheel both ways, see how long it takes to spin down. If it's smooth running in this scenario that isolates it to being the freewheel, if it's not, it isolates it to being the hub. Disconnect the brake to make absolutely sure....

Soldato
So riding on new chain and cassette this morning I notice a rub / some noise while in the small ring.. Generally at lower cadences though possible it's just less pronounced then. The chain doesn't appear to be rubbing the derailleur cage so I can't think what. I checked the powerlink is definitely pulled together properly.. not sure what else I could have done :/

Soldato
Very random question, more for possible compatibility purposes, but is a 5800 or 6800 crank arm compatible with any of the shimano XT offerings, looks like they are but would just like confirmation, potentially going to chuck on a crank based PM for my Shimano equipped equipment and free up some vectors and give me flexibility to record power off road.

Soldato
Did you route the new chain over the correct side of the tab between the 2 jockey wheels?
I am concerned it could be a stupid mistake like this... I'll check later.. hopefully is that simple. Though I have misplaced missing link pliers!

Wouldn't I likely hear similar in the big ring in that case though?

Soldato
Very random question, more for possible compatibility purposes, but is a 5800 or 6800 crank arm compatible with any of the shimano XT offerings, looks like they are but would just like confirmation, potentially going to chuck on a crank based PM for my Shimano equipped equipment and free up some vectors and give me flexibility to record power off road.

The MTB and road cranks have various difference, q factor, spindle length etc.

Soldato
I am concerned it could be a stupid mistake like this... I'll check later.. hopefully is that simple. Though I have misplaced missing link pliers!

Wouldn't I likely hear similar in the big ring in that case though?

it'd be really loud and unpleasant if you did that

Soldato
Axle lock nuts too tight so the pressure on the bearings doesn't allow it to spin freely? Try the wheel away from the bike and see if it spins freely when holding the axle (testing bearings) and then when holding the cassette/ring (testing freehub).

So riding on new chain and cassette this morning I notice a rub / some noise while in the small ring.. Generally at lower cadences though possible it's just less pronounced then. The chain doesn't appear to be rubbing the derailleur cage so I can't think what. I checked the powerlink is definitely pulled together properly.. not sure what else I could have done :/
You'd hear the cage 'tab' in either ring as it's the whole chainline not the small ring affected.

It's probably just something silly like cable rub/stretch and your limit screws not quite set correctly so now the 'loose' (small chainring) index of the shifter is now causing the chain to touch the inner/outer cage where it wasn't before.

Although you've not described the type of noise! ;)

Soldato
It's probably just something silly like cable rub/stretch and your limit screws not quite set correctly so now the 'loose' (small chainring) index of the shifter is now causing the chain to touch the inner/outer cage where it wasn't before.

Although you've not described the type of noise! ;)

When off the bike I couldn't seem to hear it from spinning. Seems to need some weight/pressure applied. Didn't look like it could be hitting the inner/outer cage as it was happening when there was clear space either side of the chain.

I'll have to investigate more in the stand later.

Edit: seems like this: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12579342

Last edited:
Soldato

Check your chain ring bolts? Take it you're not running a chain catcher, though if this were fouling in anyway it would probably do so in either ring.

Soldato
When off the bike I couldn't seem to hear it from spinning. Seems to need some weight/pressure applied.
Fitting the bike to the turbo can be one way of adding 'load' to the drivechain without actually being sat on it.

You mentioned a new cassette, is it the same gear ratio as the old? If it's not, you might find that the chain isn't tight and is slack in the smaller chainring? RD could also be slightly out of alignment and too far from the cassette, so the chain although it's shifting is rubbing the neighbouring cog.

Check chainring bolts too.

Soldato
Check your chain ring bolts? Take it you're not running a chain catcher, though if this were fouling in anyway it would probably do so in either ring.
Fitting the bike to the turbo can be one way of adding 'load' to the drivechain without actually being sat on it.

You mentioned a new cassette, is it the same gear ratio as the old? If it's not, you might find that the chain isn't tight and is slack in the smaller chainring? RD could also be slightly out of alignment and too far from the cassette, so the chain although it's shifting is rubbing the neighbouring cog.

Check chainring bolts too.

I did check the chainring for wobble while out this morning, no issues. Will give them a tighten up though. Same gear ratio.

I have no turbo :p

Soldato
Got myself in another one of those "should I, shouldn't I" situations regarding going for a ride...

Pushed my own limits towards the end of last week, my quads were not happy shoppers the last two days, limited myself to close to minimum cycle commute miles and very gentle rides home. The free Stravistix plug-in for Strava (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...strava/dhiaggccakkgdfcadnklkbljcgicpckn?hl=en) reckoned I had gone into training overload for the first time since around Feb and I agreed.

So my sensible head says don't ride today, have a rest day and let the legs recover a bit, especially as I forgot to wear my HRM for the last two days' commutes (which means the Strava Premium and Stravistix fitness charts don't include those four rides). Not to mention, it's damn warm out there at the mo, I might need multiple 2 litre bottles of water to stop me melting if I pushed it!

But it's the closest day to dead calm we have had in a while, almost no breeze at all. A good day to judge what I'm capable of without having to take account of what www.mywindsock.com says about head/cross/tailwinds, which can vastly skew segment times.

Back
Top Bottom