Road Cycling

Caporegime
Leaving work yesterday I found a business card attached to my stem with an elastic band. It had a note saying I'd won the monthly cycle pod prize draw. It's news to me that there even is a prize draw. I went to the business park manager's office today to collect my prize - a £5 voucher for the restaurant. I'm rich!

Associate
Leaving work yesterday I found a business card attached to my stem with an elastic band. It had a note saying I'd won the monthly cycle pod prize draw. It's news to me that there even is a prize draw. I went to the business park manager's office today to collect my prize - a £5 voucher for the restaurant. I'm rich!

I was fully expecting this to be some form of elaborate scam that I wasn't picking up on. Nice!

Associate
Hello, does physichull still frequent this forum. I know he is very involved with a local cycling club and was hoping for more information.

Thanks

Soldato
I did check the chainring for wobble while out this morning, no issues. Will give them a tighten up though. Same gear ratio.

I have no turbo :p

The mystery lives on. Had a good go at it making sure everything is clean etc tonight. I can only seem to feel it while on the bike and then only when I pedal slowly (with back brake on) at least on the flat. I noticed it earlier on a hill.

It seems to occur twice per pedal revolution. One fairly pronounced feel as the crank is at 270 degrees then a more subtle when it reaches 90 degrees. I don't have a spare chainring to test unfortunately! Is it likely to be the chainring though based on that? Strange that the old chain had no issue with it though perhaps it wore to deal with it?

Soldato
The mystery lives on. Had a good go at it making sure everything is clean etc tonight. I can only seem to feel it while on the bike and then only when I pedal slowly (with back brake on) at least on the flat. I noticed it earlier on a hill.

It seems to occur twice per pedal revolution. One fairly pronounced feel as the crank is at 270 degrees then a more subtle when it reaches 90 degrees. I don't have a spare chainring to test unfortunately! Is it likely to be the chainring though based on that? Strange that the old chain had no issue with it though perhaps it wore to deal with it?

Chain contacting front mech? As the bb and crank/rings flex under load

Soldato
Chain contacting front mech? As the bb and crank/rings flex under load
Looks like there is plenty of room either side of the chain before it would touch the mech cage as it even happens when half way up the cassette.

Looking down at it while riding too doesn't seem like it is hitting though obviously kinda hard to see.

Also, I tried a different rear wheel with same ratio cassette. Same issue still occurring.

Last edited:
Soldato
Trying to download openstreetmaps UK section for my 820.

Being quoted 7 days for a download link! Looks like its true to its word too!
I downloaded the Florida maps a couple of weeks ago. I was quoted 10 days queue but I got the e-mail link within about 1.5 days.

Soldato
https://www.strava.com/activities/1003951625

I'm away friday till monday (Lillé) so quite conscious of not hitting my mileage target for the week (100) again and losing some of the form I'm starting to rediscover. In mind of this I did a big 10m TT effort on monday and followed it last night with a loop I've been meaning to do for a while. There's a long segment for it and after the first time I rode it (social group ride) I'd set what I thought was a realistic 1 hour 10 minute target, maybe pushing on below that to give me the KOM. Pushing on last night I achieved 1 hour 13, setting a PR but missing my goal. My first (group) time was 1 hour 15 and I rode it twice last year only getting below 1 hour 20 on one occasion. Glad I beat my PR for the effort I put in, I can only think of a couple of places I can make that time up, depending on wind conditions. I think I was still tired from mondays effort so did start to fade for the latter half. Good fun but my legs are feeling it today! But 4 rest days incoming! :D

TLDR; I'm getting quicker!

Tried to push myself most of the way round

https://www.strava.com/activities/1003789422

Generally a good 1.5mph above my normal average and 230W weighted power.
Good work! :D

Did very similar, utterly abused myself on a local loop/segment I'd set a pretty unrealistic goal on - always good for digging deep! ;)

Hope you also bought a lottery ticket!

Hello, does physichull still frequent this forum. I know he is very involved with a local cycling club and was hoping for more information.
Might be easiest/quickest to Strava-stalk him, he's not posted in here for ~10 days. Although there's a couple of NCC's frequent here so I'm sure they could provide some info?

Bottom bracket bearings or pedal spindle lack of grease/needs cleaning as has grit between it and the bearings. Now you've described the noise that's my bet! :)

Soldato

This sounded to me like it might be your rear wheel flexing under load and contacting the pads but if it's happening with a different wheel too.

Soldato
Bottom bracket bearings or pedal spindle lack of grease/needs cleaning as has grit between it and the bearings. Now you've described the noise that's my bet! :)

This sounded to me like it might be your rear wheel flexing under load and contacting the pads but if it's happening with a different wheel too.

Don't think it could be pedal spindle otherwise it would happen in the outer chainring too? Would have thought similar for bottom bracket though maybe slightly different load area.

Rear wheel yeah seems unlikely... the key thing to note here is I just changed the cassette and chain the night before. The only things changed and the problem occurs. It seems to be pointing towards a worn chainring where old chain was happy enough with it?

The chainrings have done 14000 miles so possible though most time is spent in the big ring!

Soldato
Drive? In this weather?! Madness! :D

Know the feeling though - this week has hurt me but knowing I've got 4 days 'off' coming (normally very unusual for me to even have 2 days off due to commuting) so I've hammered myself! ;) :D

So, Lillé. Anyone been? Was the other half's choice as she found a lastminute mega deal. Quite near to Roubaix so I imagine some classic riding around there (not that I'll have time/be allowed). We're normally very good at exploring new places (always used to do winter 'city breaks') but with the other half at 24 weeks I'm going to restrict our wanderings a little. Will save my feet a little too! ;)

Caporegime
Baking hot here, like 25 degrees. I've taken the afternoon off to do a metric on my single speed.

Just spent my cafe voucher on sausage, chips and beans. Fine cycling fuel! Complete with English mustard which is opening my sinuses up so much I should probably have a TUE for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
#marginalgains

At least you splashed out with your winnings!

Have a good ride, slightly more gusty winds here (than yesterday) with a few more passing clouds. Toasty warm still! Forecast here has turned to rain for the weekend, but 30 degrees & sunny where I'm heading! ;)

Soldato
I'm in Florida - night time lows are 24c, day time temps reaching 35c [feels like temp 40c+ And humidity 98%]
During the ride I did yesterday I was dripping sweat, getting through 3 large water bottles over 38 miles.

Back
Top Bottom