Road Cycling

Man of Honour
Had a nice ride out last night with some new cycling chums I've just recently discovered.
https://www.relive.cc/view/1049403279

Wasn't far or fast, but just a kind of bimble out at the slowest riders' pace - stopping every so often for people to catch up, mostly riding with the group but poncing off ahead when I felt like it... for example here:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1049403279/analysis/337/615

I'm quite annoyed I didn't start that segment a bit faster and get a PR on it - was just wafting along with the group, then decided to try and push myself on the climb - I say climb, it's just a bit of an incline... was doing about 15mph with very little effort and took it up to try and maintain 19-20mph all the way up to the top/end of segment. Mostly managed it.

Tomorrow I'm doing the Ripon Revolution standard route - 77 miles and 4000 something ft of climbing, which is more than I've done for probably the best part of a year. 9 months at least, I reckon. Not going to try and push myself around it, but will try and make a concerted effort on the climbs... will probably maim myself in the process, but should have enough of a recovery time in between the two biggest uphill bits to warrant it. Maybe.

Looking forward to it, though. Really enjoying riding at the moment... just need to do more of it.

Soldato
Mars, Snickers & Bounty recovery/protein bars. Omnomnom. Will probably try the Snickers as they're one of my favourites! :D

Yes it was a Cannondale Slate CX1 Gravel (Sram Force)
:cool:
Such fun looking bike, quite interested how you found it :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/1049455059

Gave Chain Hill a go, Ben had told me to try it recently and having come down it a few weeks a go, it certainly looked like something worth doing. I was surprised at how easy I found it, it certainly wasn't Streatley, it's not that steep (the two main bits are 10-11%) but it's long.
Good work, you're doing well! And you're faster than Ben up there! ;)

Climbing technique will change from rider to rider, I'll generally seat everything <8% and below 30s as I'm quite good at carrying speed. Just as things start to go up I generally drop to the gear I think I can finish it in, up the rpm to maintain power and then hold 90+rpm until at the top. I'm generally only stood when powering hard up a climb, pacing something steeper or tired.

I went for my second five cat4 hills fix of the week, but at a slightly brisker pace than Wednesday (~2hrs53mins vs ~4hrs3mins total time for the ~46.9 mile ride).

https://www.strava.com/activities/1050017806/segments/25815141615
<snip>

The scary thing is I've been back home ~4.5hrs, had my post-ride sandwich/malted drink/chicken slices, but who knows where the rest of the time went... I'm absolutely zombified, probably a combination of a lack of sleep last night and putting more effort into upping my average speed up in the South Downs.
Considering the riding you've done this week/recently that's quite a mega climbing session, well done! Putting me to shame now...

Know that zombiefied feeling, I'm looking forward to it on sunday! 50 miles so far this week, 20 or so tonight and 50 on sunday! ;)
Interesting... Did you find that the initial loss all came from your commuting or did that coincide with diet? I'm doing fairly well at the moment dropping from 112KG to 107 now and more crucially not putting any weight on during exam season.

I'm just worried that at some point I'm going to stop seeing losses. I haven't been this light for at least 4 years when I started dabbling in Stronglifts.
The initial loss was predominately over a 2 year period, during that period my diet probably got slightly better but I'm still not exactly a 'health freak' when it comes to food and consumption. My meals and portions haven't changed, but I snack/graze healthier now on dried fruits & nuts when previously I'd be eating mostly crisps and occasional biscuits. Before commuting I wasn't active in the slightest, I wasn't hugely overweight and I didn't have any health issues. Cycling gave me the opportunity to eat & drink what I wanted (within reason) guilt free, without it also going straight to my waist. I'd previously been quite active through my teens and early 20's but changes in profession (farm/forestry work to office based) and lifestyle (clubbing/raving/cars to sat at my PC/TV) had lead me to building up the pounds with an ever expanding waistline. I was mostly wearing 36" trousers and starting to find them tight and would get out of breath just climbing the stairs. I knew I had to do something and cycling my commute just seemed like a no brainer (saving me time & money).

Once I'd got the cycling bug I kinda stopped weighing myself, I was more obsessed with getting faster and more powerful to ride with the local clubs and social group rides. The weight loss continued as I 'trimmed' fitting into ever smaller trousers and eventually I was fitting back into old clothes I'd kept from my early 20's with 32" waists and having to buy new work wear... Even now I struggle to fit into 32" trousers, but it's not my waist, it's my thighs (and they're all muscle so don't get smaller!). I tend to wear 'slim fit' shirts now and I'm a medium in most general tshirt/jumper brands. Some I'm a small, before I was a Large in everything.

Cycling became a 'hobby' and filled a much needed void that had kinda developed in my 30's by settling down - all of my friends had done the same, we'd stopped going out every weekend and I'd ended up with gaming and watching tv as my only real 'hobbies'. Also with cycling came much better quality sleep, I hadn't struggled before but I sleep so much more soundly now it's amazing, my alarm goes off and I wake up rested and ready for the day, not sluggish and struggling to wake up properly. A work commute is also fantastic for that - built in morning 'rush' and evening 'wind down'. Keeping up my work commute a large part of my mileage was riding every day, rain or shine and building up stamina so I could still ride socially on the weekends and evenings (whenever I wanted) without being utterly spent. I guess I'm only really at that stage now - previously I'd have forced rest days where I knew riding would be a struggle - now I can pick and choose when these days are due to weather (or skip them altogether and just commute easy). The only usual determining factor on my commute riding intensity is what leisure rides I have coming up and the clearing of any saddle sores I've picked up (generally get them if riding 10+ days without a 'day off').

Excuse the ramble & hope it helps! Regularly riding made the biggest difference to me - even with just my previous 4.5 mile commute (9 miles a day, 4 times a week). :)

Associate
The initial loss was predominately over a 2 year period, during that period my diet probably got slightly better but I'm still not exactly a 'health freak' when it comes to food and consumption. My meals and portions haven't changed, but I snack/graze healthier now on dried fruits & nuts when previously I'd be eating mostly crisps and occasional biscuits. Before commuting I wasn't active in the slightest, I wasn't hugely overweight and I didn't have any health issues. Cycling gave me the opportunity to eat & drink what I wanted (within reason) guilt free, without it also going straight to my waist. I'd previously been quite active through my teens and early 20's but changes in profession (farm/forestry work to office based) and lifestyle (clubbing/raving/cars to sat at my PC/TV) had lead me to building up the pounds with an ever expanding waistline. I was mostly wearing 36" trousers and starting to find them tight and would get out of breath just climbing the stairs. I knew I had to do something and cycling my commute just seemed like a no brainer (saving me time & money).

Once I'd got the cycling bug I kinda stopped weighing myself, I was more obsessed with getting faster and more powerful to ride with the local clubs and social group rides. The weight loss continued as I 'trimmed' fitting into ever smaller trousers and eventually I was fitting back into old clothes I'd kept from my early 20's with 32" waists and having to buy new work wear... Even now I struggle to fit into 32" trousers, but it's not my waist, it's my thighs (and they're all muscle so don't get smaller!). I tend to wear 'slim fit' shirts now and I'm a medium in most general tshirt/jumper brands. Some I'm a small, before I was a Large in everything.

Cycling became a 'hobby' and filled a much needed void that had kinda developed in my 30's by settling down - all of my friends had done the same, we'd stopped going out every weekend and I'd ended up with gaming and watching tv as my only real 'hobbies'. Also with cycling came much better quality sleep, I hadn't struggled before but I sleep so much more soundly now it's amazing, my alarm goes off and I wake up rested and ready for the day, not sluggish and struggling to wake up properly. A work commute is also fantastic for that - built in morning 'rush' and evening 'wind down'. Keeping up my work commute a large part of my mileage was riding every day, rain or shine and building up stamina so I could still ride socially on the weekends and evenings (whenever I wanted) without being utterly spent. I guess I'm only really at that stage now - previously I'd have forced rest days where I knew riding would be a struggle - now I can pick and choose when these days are due to weather (or skip them altogether and just commute easy). The only usual determining factor on my commute riding intensity is what leisure rides I have coming up and the clearing of any saddle sores I've picked up (generally get them if riding 10+ days without a 'day off').

Excuse the ramble & hope it helps! Regularly riding made the biggest difference to me - even with just my previous 4.5 mile commute (9 miles a day, 4 times a week). :)

Absolutely helps!

Could have been describing me. 36 inch waist and large t shirts/shirts albeit a fair bit heavier than you was.

Just need to keep up getting miles under my belt and continuing to make smarter food choices.

Soldato
I took the afternoon off work today for a ride, but due to poor planning I had to ferry my laptop in which meant riding my single speed bike with rack so I could carry a pannier. I set off for a flattish metric but it was hellishly windy. I ended up heading north and hitting some hills which was interesting on the single speed. I had to head back to the office to fetch my bag again so it was basically 50odd miles followed by my normal commute. I did over 2500ft of climbing in 64 miles which isn't much, but you feel it when you've no gears! I could have gone further if I'd not needed to be home, to be honest. I was still feeling pretty good at the end of it. I might try an imperial on that bike some time.

Sorry about my poor recognition powers! I had no idea who it was when we passed each other!

Associate
Had a nice ride out last night with some new cycling chums I've just recently discovered.
https://www.relive.cc/view/1049403279

Wasn't far or fast, but just a kind of bimble out at the slowest riders' pace - stopping every so often for people to catch up, mostly riding with the group but poncing off ahead when I felt like it... for example here:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1049403279/analysis/337/615

I'm quite annoyed I didn't start that segment a bit faster and get a PR on it - was just wafting along with the group, then decided to try and push myself on the climb - I say climb, it's just a bit of an incline... was doing about 15mph with very little effort and took it up to try and maintain 19-20mph all the way up to the top/end of segment. Mostly managed it.

Tomorrow I'm doing the Ripon Revolution standard route - 77 miles and 4000 something ft of climbing, which is more than I've done for probably the best part of a year. 9 months at least, I reckon. Not going to try and push myself around it, but will try and make a concerted effort on the climbs... will probably maim myself in the process, but should have enough of a recovery time in between the two biggest uphill bits to warrant it. Maybe.

Looking forward to it, though. Really enjoying riding at the moment... just need to do more of it.

Soldato
Mars, Snickers & Bounty recovery/protein bars. Omnomnom. Will probably try the Snickers as they're one of my favourites! :D

Snickers is the only one worth trying tbh, had them all. Asda's own brand Chocolate Peanut protein bar is nicer and better value truth be told.

Good work, you're doing well! And you're faster than Ben up there! ;)

Not ridden it yet ;)

Climbing technique will change from rider to rider, I'll generally seat everything <8% and below 30s as I'm quite good at carrying speed. Just as things start to go up I generally drop to the gear I think I can finish it in, up the rpm to maintain power and then hold 90+rpm until at the top. I'm generally only stood when powering hard up a climb, pacing something steeper or tired.

400w+ 3 minute seated mash until your hamstrings are hanging off or go home :p

Associate
Welcome Wahooligan! Make sure you're aware of some of the 'features' of mapping/routing on the BOLT/ELEMNT before you use it - it's not quite as complete as some of the full featured Garmins as it cannot re-route. It literally follows (breadcrumb) a route from whatever map you've loaded, the turn-by-turn directions come from the route itself - using ridewithgps will put them in, routes from Strava won't. I'm not aware how much routing the Edge 25 has (any?), just noticed the difference coming from my 810.

It's not an issue, if you're aware of it.

Just made a route in RWGPS, will load it up and see how it goes tomorrow.

On the Wahoo app it has a, Take me To... button.
Could I just ride into the sunset then when I feel I'm lost enough, ask the app to route me home , then load it to the Bolt?
And if so would it save it all as one ride or would it split it into 2 because of the new route?

Soldato
Just made a route in RWGPS, will load it up and see how it goes tomorrow.

On the Wahoo app it has a, Take me To... button.
Could I just ride into the sunset then when I feel I'm lost enough, ask the app to route me home , then load it to the Bolt?
And if so would it save it all as one ride or would it split it into 2 because of the new route?

'Back to start' option does just that. You can do this from the unit itself within the route page.

You can use & end multiple routes within one ride, it'll tell you the activity will continue to record. Ending a route doesn't end the ride.

Caporegime
Bit of a meh weekend riding wise. I went for a run last night (just under 4 miles, managed 5k of it in under half an hour which I'm pleased with given it's like the fifth time I've ever been out running) and was planning to get up early for a ride this morning but was just too tired.

Fortunately a window opened up and I managed to get out this afternoon, though only for a short ride. I did 19 miles - hardly worth changing for! I did pack 1600 feet of climbing into that, so not bad on that front. It was dead windy, and felt quite unsafe on the exposed top of one of the climbs.

When I got home from that I switched bikes and shoes and took daughter 1 - 11 years old - out for a ride, mostly off-road. We did 6 miles, which is very good going for her. I think I could manage about that at her age, so I'd like to get her trying more in time.

Soldato
My weekend hasn't been so bad it started off yesterday with small ride, picked up a cracking 2 mile KOM so I was well chuffed. This morning I took my young children to track for a coaching session but there wasn't a coach so strangely I found myself playing the role of a coach, I had to freestyle it somewhat as I'd never coached my own kids let alone 12 random kids with parents onlooking. Got lots of thanks from kids and parents so can't have done too bad!

Back
Top Bottom