Road Cycling

Soldato
So today my Garmin did the shut down lose data trick again :mad:

Searching around on the internet I found some information to recover the .FIT file and managed to retrieve the ride information, using this site : https://www.fitfiletools.com/#/top :) :)

Now you can throw it in the bin and buy an Elemnt :p ;)

I'm not denying physics but it's definitely less of a big deal on a 6-8% climb than it is on a 20-25% ramp.

The ride there (31m/3,000ft), heat and pacing will all have significant impact on such a long climb. I don't know any of your stats but sustaining power that you hold comfortably on a typical 8-10 minute climb in the UK for triple that duration isn't a small ask :)

Soldato
It's a long, constant gradient. Riding it is more like a time trial effort than any climb you'd find in this country. It's never steep enough to get out of the saddle, you just sit and ride at whatever pace you can sustain for the whole climb.
You'll probably need hold around 4 - 4.5 w/kg to do 35mins.

272w at 68kg got me 34:30 so that stacks up with your 4w/kg estimate. It will depend on wind and traffic too. I'd be down 10-20w at 30c but you might cope better in the heat.

Soldato
Speaking of climbs. We're off to Majorca on Saturday.

I see touch and OMS are topping my friends list on Sa Calobra.

How hard is it to do a sub-35min? It's going to over 30C when we're out there too.:eek:
Which segment? Sub 35 on the one I've always considered the 'offical' one would be impressive. You'd be quicker than several guys I know who I'd call great local climbers. Quicker than Paul! Although you'd still be several minutes off the best... But at least you'd beat this guy, not even sure why I'm following him anymore... :rolleyes:

Thanks - any recommendations on brand/online retailer etc?

Every time i think i've got everything i need, i find i am lacking something and the cost is starting to mount :(
If immediate cost is a large concern then just buy some flat pedals to get riding. You'll find it easier than going straight to clipless pedals (shoe 'fixed' to pedal!).

Lots of online eshops you can get deals from - Wiggle, PlanetX, ChainReactionCycles etc. Many actual bike shops also having a presence - Sigmasport, Wheelies, Tredz. Then there are your specific branded ones selling their own products like Rapha. All have deals all the time on various different things. I'm a big fan of Wiggle.

For quite personal fit items like shoes you're better trying them before you buy, so places like Evans, Halfords and Decathlon will be the recommended starting point as well as any local bike shops. Most cycling shoe sizing is done in EU sizing.

If you're after good starting/budget shoes then anything by Shimano is pretty good and you should find them in stock at Halfords & Evans' to try on and regularly in sales. I really like a pair of Giro Treble II's I bought a while ago (for £50) and use for commuting, they're a better fitting shoe than the £75 Shimano's I had previously and a steal at that reduced price on Wiggle! Mine are even SPD & SPD-SL compatible. Wiggle do a 'DHB' brand who do a set of road shoes for around £35/40 and are meant to be ok for a budget shoe but I've never worn them, although not currently in stock.

Soldato
I'm not denying physics but it's definitely less of a big deal on a 6-8% climb than it is on a 20-25% ramp.
I agree. I'm heavy but I can do fairly well on a climb like Sa Calobre. I've done sub 35mins at about 80kg. I dont fare as well once the gradient starts to get over 12-15%.

But at least you'd beat this guy, not even sure why I'm following him anymore... :rolleyes:
:(

Man of Honour
OP
I swear my quads feel heck of a lot worse today than yesterday, following my 53 and 63 mile pb rides towards the end of last week... I expected to feel like this yesterday!

DOMS tend to hit you much worse at around the 48 hour from exercise point. Try doing a very gentle short ride to loosen things up (and/or stretch and roll).

Man of Honour
I've looked at a couple of threads but they're quite old in terms of updates, so thought I'd ask quickly in here...

Looking at getting some of China's finest carbon wheels :p Wondered if someone could point me in the right direction in terms of where and what to buy (can trust me if not permitted on here to post the link)? I saw @FrenchTart had some over the weekend and after talking to him and Ben about how all the positive reviews they get, I figured they'd be perfect at the price point to put on my B'Twin to keep me going until I get a better bike after the winter.

Man of Honour
OP
I'd go for SoliD's recommendation. Seems to have served several people well. I ordered from AliExpress and though I've had no issues in future I think I'd go for the above instead :)

Edit: though I went for 23mm wide clinchers iirc. 50mm deep, novat.ech hubs.

Man of Honour
OP
My experience has been the hubs have been rock solid. I've had bearings last over 10,000 miles without requiring replacement.

However there are some stories online of people having issues with bearings needing replacing more quickly than you'd hope. It really depends on the quality of bearings used by the place you buy from. Worst case you will need to replace them sooner but if you do you can simply use better quality bearings and not have that problem going forward. Replacements are incredibly cheap, even high quality ones.

Back
Top Bottom