Road Cycling

Soldato
lol you keep bringing me back here.. just to remind me how fit I used to be and how the fat life took over ;(
We miss you fatty! :p

Miss Asprilla too, nobody actually knows what happened to him do they? Wasn't he the guy with a racing Brompton?

Speaking of Audax, a local club just released these new events: http://kingstonwheelers.co.uk/ride/audax

Question is can I motivate myself to pedal over to @Roady land and back? 600km is long!
Haha that's quite a trek! Doesn't look like it goes over Gospel pass so don't worry! You do have the long A road drag up towards Cwmdu though. It's a nice road and gradual but damn it's a busy road! I could ride out to Hay to say ello & give you a wheel for a few miles etc :)

There was a bit of snow around but I was off-road on the mountainbike so not much of a problem. I struggled a lot more than expected - I think just due to a lack of training. Getting back into it now though.
I hadn't fully appreciated it was all on the MTB! Extra kudos! 71 miles off road, that's really gotta get your fitness back on track! Mostly trails or some real off road madness too?!

but seriously, moved out of london and took a break from commuting having covered nearly 20k miles cycling in london! now to be fair I cba getting on the bike, might do in the summer again just for pleasure.
Got any local friends/clubs there? Just do it for the social aspect. I've made load of local friends I've got through cycling (as I'm ~25 miles away from where I grew up so none of my old lot are 'local', doing anything always turns into a logistical PITA).

Soldato
I hadn't fully appreciated it was all on the MTB! Extra kudos! 71 miles off road, that's really gotta get your fitness back on track! Mostly trails or some real off road madness too?!

Nothing super exciting. Mostly gravel roads, some gentle singletrack. I was so much slower than expected that I skipped back onto the road at the halfway point so I could get back before dark. Hopefully it wont take long to get the fitness back - it feels like a long way off at the moment though :eek:

Caporegime
Asprilla is active on Bikeradar forum and still commutes on my Strava. I guess he just doesn't like us!:(

He has taken up Tri as well.:o
He was off the bike for ages as he didn’t need to commute on it for a while. That probably tied in with him dropping off here. I seem to recall he said he’d lost access to his account here so maybe he just couldn’t be arsed signing up again.

Soldato
Asprilla is active on Bikeradar forum and still commutes on my Strava. I guess he just doesn't like us!:(

He has taken up Tri as well.:o
Ah, really pleased to hear he's still alive & riding! Give him a holla from us here when you have time please :)

As you're now in West Sussex, @grudas ... please go try this and report back :)

http://veloviewer.com/segment/7731749

I've had it on my starred segments for a year or two now but can't really be bothered with the 100 mile return trip.
That looks meaty! Not even sure grudas' car could get up there. He's eaten too many pies to cycle up it. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Bah, British Cycling don't have any discount codes for the London Bike Show @ The Excel, useless! :p Should have nabbed an earlybird ticket.

Soldato
Is it worth it? I went to the motorcycle show last year and it was on at the same time but by the middle of the afternoon I couldn't really be bothered to hang around the Excel any longer.

Soldato
My opinion is the shows at Excel aren't really worth it unless you are in the market for something specific. There is very little in the way of meaningful swag, it's crowded and nothing is really any cheaper than online.

I only went to it because I got free entry, was competing in a bouldering competition and getting some swimming lessons (it was the Bike show, Tri show and Outdoor show all at once).

Soldato
We can now watch Froome on Strava again...

https://www.strava.com/pros/7491815

Pretty big first week!
I'd expect no less! :rolleyes:

His elevation data looks screwy though, I'm fairly sure there isn't a minor mountain in Johannesburg. He climbs 700+ feet & has an hour stop. This segment covers much of it and is less than 200ft.

Shame there's no power data.

His avg HR is pretty nuts! Mine barely goes that low even on a long downhill section with no pedalling!!
Don't see any HR data either now?! :(

Soldato
Quite impressed by Mavic's customer service though maybe slightly less by the durability of their shoe ratchets.

The ratchet lever on one of my MTB shoes snapped last year and I didn't think much of it as there was the odd bit of grit and mud in there at the time. It happened again last month, this time with my road shoes, so I concluded the levers get brittle over time and eventually snap. I contacted Wiggle and they initially tried to close the case claiming it was not a fault then they accepted it but requested I send them in for investigation and it could take 30+ days.

I decided to contact Mavic directly and after a short email exchange, proof of purchase and some photos they sent me out two sets of ratchet kits. I can now fix both pairs of shoes and have two spare ratchets.

Always worth a try to go direct to the manufacturer :)

Soldato
Is it worth it? I went to the motorcycle show last year and it was on at the same time but by the middle of the afternoon I couldn't really be bothered to hang around the Excel any longer.

I just go for a peruse tbh though last year I did get 10% (I think) + freebies on my Canyon order that was a LBS special. As Lethal says if Runing/Tri etc is also up your street there are other areas to explore.

I prefer it to the NEC Cycle Show purely because it's the same travel time for me but I can pop in to Assos & Rapha and numerous other bike shops en route and make a full day of it. Where as the NEC, is, well, Birmingham and motorways :p

Back
Top Bottom