Road Cycling

Soldato
Anyone who's not yet registered on www.wattsboard.com and was intending to can you do me a favour please, when you do part of the initial setup it talks about the number of rides it imports from Strava and the timeline/timescale. Could you grab a screenshot of it for me please?

I can't get mine to update,add new or older rides and they've not responded to my support question yet.

10000 miles to a set of brake pads? Nice :p
Haha yeah, 10000 miles to a set of pads but wore 3 rims... Might need to rethink those pads made of borosilicate (or whatever it was they coated the space shuttles with)! ;)

not sure how many pads but the tyre I took off was the fourth or fifth (i'm not sure because I occasionally put front tyres on the back after a while.)
I've swapped my winter tyres front & rear the last couple of times. Didn't seem to make much difference with the GP 4Seasons as the previous rear (fitted to the front) wore through pretty quickly. The harder Spesh Roubaix Pro I'm using now it's worked well so far (about to complete their second winter and still tons of wear left!).

23 sets of lights on my normal 5 mile commute route
Ewwww! Quicker to walk! :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Roady, you swap tyres from the rear to the front?

I'd imagine it's more likely people do that as rears wear quicker but I'd strongly advise against it. Worn tyres are better suited to the rear where a loss of traction matters less :)

Associate
Sure I've asked before but what gear/brake cable inner and outers are people using? I need to replace on my 105 and ultegra bikes - I've previously used jagwire but not convinced £60 for two cable sets represents value for money. Similarly the lifeline stuff from wiggle is just burning money - it doesn't work.

Soldato
Roady, you swap tyres from the rear to the front?

I'd imagine it's more likely people do that as rears wear quicker but I'd strongly advise against it. Worn tyres are better suited to the rear where a loss of traction matters less :)
Yeah but only to even out the wear so I could change them both at the same time rather than running odd tyres. Although looking at them they'll probably easily do another winter!

When I say 'even out', the front tyre was still showing the little fine line through the centre from production/moulding, but it'd worn away on the rear. Neither where really showing much 'wear'. They seem very tough (well half designed as a gravel/cobbles tyre you'd expect that!).

Sure I've asked before but what gear/brake cable inner and outers are people using? I need to replace on my 105 and ultegra bikes - I've previously used jagwire but not convinced £60 for two cable sets represents value for money. Similarly the lifeline stuff from wiggle is just burning money - it doesn't work.
Jagwire. Last time I bought 10m lengths from 'STARCYLES' on Ebay. They're branded and perfect! Came shipped from somewhere in the midlands and IIRC with some bike shop kinda packaging. Unsure how they're able to sell it as cheap as they do.

Failing that the Shimano branded stuff is good too.

the 13 mile "long way round" doesn't have any at all between mile one and mile 9, and only about 8 possible stops in total. As a result it's considerably less than twice as much time even though it's well over twice as long
:rolleyes:

The roads would be perfect, if it wasn't for all the vehicles! :D

Had some builder van numpty overtake me this lunchtime towards an oncoming car which had to swerve, stop and sound it's horn. He then immediately turned left across me, if I hadn't scrubbed speed to let him in (he'd left me plenty of room during the overtake) he'd have left hooked me. He gained maybe half a second. Imbecile. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone who's not yet registered on www.wattsboard.com and was intending to can you do me a favour please, when you do part of the initial setup it talks about the number of rides it imports from Strava and the timeline/timescale. Could you grab a screenshot of it for me please?

I can't get mine to update,add new or older rides and they've not responded to my support question yet.
NVM, found it. Still reads as if I need to wait to see more than 193 of my rides. Le sigh.

Please allow up to 24 hours for all of your rides to be imported and processed.

Due to the current user load, we are limiting the number of rides that you can import. The following tiered import limits are in place:

Within the first 24 hours after signing up, you can import 50 rides. After 24 hours, you can import 125 rides. After 3 days, you can import 350 rides. After 1 week, the import limit is lifted.

You can currently import 151 rides from Strava. Go Pro to access unlimited and priority imports.
I'm at 6 days.

Soldato
Just did a bulk upload for mine.

My ego is very satisfied with knowing I'm apparently a Cat 1 category for 20 min power!! :) (I doubt it!!)
Yeah but the 'bulk upload' is only 50 rides which it takes 15 minutes to process after you 'select all' and click 'Process'. After 24 hours it's 125 rides (which will take ~37 minutes to process), but you still need to select them and click process for them to appear, etc etc.

Lol wut. I'm only CAT3 (288W). I know I'm barely a CAT 4 if I even raced! ;)

Soldato
Does anyone else feel like their brakes are rubbing this week? I feel generally ok but am 1-2mph average slower on my commute this week. It’s probably just the first big mileage week after the Xmas break (and I have also been squatting 100kg every day, which is more likely the issue!)

Permabanned
I started cycling again for the first time in what's probably 8 weeks and it's been a struggle a little bit. I did a taster session at the Velodrome on Sunday and probably didn't recover well from that and then cycled Tuesday and Wednesday and legs are done in, feel like a complete lack of power which as you say feels like your brakes are rubbing.

Have a few freinds who are doing RED Jaunuary (Run Every Day) so I've decided I'll give it a go myself and but I'll either run/ride. Should get me back into the swing of things on the bike hopefully. It's 8 runs and 3 rides so far for the month.

Soldato
I've allowed myself a little lull in training over Xmas and new year - some effort is going to be required to sharpen up for March as I've booked a sportive. Then possibly I could be trying a few races in April. :eek:

Soldato

Inners bulk buy from eBay. Usually get 20 at a time. Go in a drawer and then just re order when next required. Go through enough over the course of a year! Jag wire outers as Roady states.

Soldato

I use transfil gear inners from Wiggle with Shimano outers. Lifeline Inner & Outer kits for brakes, also Wiggle. Cheap and no performance issues at all, and I have exposed cabling ;)

My short time intervals are pretty pants, I need to work on sprint power. I'm much better at longer power intervals, hence why I want to get into time trailing.

See how you fare holding your roadie power crunched up in to a ball on the extensions :p Solid numbers though so it's also all about the aero, and the pacing :)

Back
Top Bottom