Road Cycling

Soldato
Quite impressed by Mavic's customer service though maybe slightly less by the durability of their shoe ratchets.
That's good to hear! One of the guys I ride with has a problem with his freehub on his 3 month old Mavic wheels and I told him to contact them directly as the LBS said it'll take them 10 days to get a replacement. This is his 3rd problem with them - rim split at the join & couple of broken spokes. After those the LBS swapped them and they don't have any more in stock to swap again.

Told him not to go with Mavic :rolleyes:

Anyone got a Clug?
Always thought they looked a bit cheap and plasticy. Cycloc could also be worth a look if you actually want to hang a bike, kinda similar design.

I've got one of these on the wall in my garage for the other halfs bike, I've hung a heavy hybrid on it but was quite conscious of the weight (hybrid previously pulled this out of the wall). Her ~11-12kg road bike is fine.

I have a couple of these loose on the floor that get used for the frequently used bikes, just pop the front/rear wheel in. To be fair I've screwed a few of these into my rafters for hanging wheels/tyres on, but I have been known to hang a bike on them up out of the way while moving things around (usually followed by cutting my head open on chainrings, it's a tradition).

Soldato
I just use wallmount hangers - the ones that hold the front wheel - £6 a pop or whatever, key thing is to get the rawl plugs in super tight and into brickwork not mortar, otherwise yeah they're going to drop out at some point. All mine (I've got 6 around the walls in my garage, all in use) have stayed in nicely.

Soldato
Anyone got a Clug?

Need to store 3-4 bikes neater and it looks quite good.

https://www.thehornit.com/clug-roadie

I have one to store one of my bike by the back door alongside the fridge freezer. I don't have anything bad to say about it. Its small, and works! Perfect for the small space I have there. If you don't have much space, or don't want to take up a whole wall storing your bike parallel to it, then I'd recommend this

Soldato
I’ll be screwing into wood not brick, few inches thick solid stuff though. Maybe I’ll buy one and see what I think. 3-4 bikes to sit, I want them vertical to save space.

Soldato
haha!

@Roady - I've just had an email from a guy at Wattsboard saying that auto import has been set up for me, and I can now import all rides instead of having to wait!

I hope he doesn't expect me to subscribe, as I'm already signed up for TrainingPeaks!

Soldato
I had that and still only show 61 total. I'm sure it says at the bottom of the same email that importing is overloaded & delayed!?

I'm sure when doing the setup it was something like 7 days for the first 100 and then everything after 30 days? I'm kinda waiting for my 30 days to see what happens as I've not seen anywhere else to check the 'status' of importing.

Soldato
Went to replace some brake pads this evening and discovered the rim is pretty much done. Swapped it over for a spare wheel I had in the shed. Will recover the hub over the weekend, then it's wheelbuilding time!

Caporegime
2mph winds at the moment here. 2 MPH!!! Why can't it be like this everyday!!?!

I'm struggling to think of anything I hate more than headwinds
No wind here either, so we get fog. The joys.

I’m figuring out riding into Manchester again, now that I’ve changed jobs. I’ve got a 12 mile route which is 8 miles of road and 4 miles of old single track railway which has been paved. Going off-road allows me to avoid some nasty stretches around a busy motorway junction. It’s not lit but I’ve got a Chinese solar storm x2 which is stupidly bright and more than enough to see where you’re going. The off-road surfaces are good enough that it’s doable on my single speed bike and the climbing isn’t too severe, though I have dropped the gearing to 48*18. The last stretch into town is pretty rubbish, with non-stop traffic lights, so that’ll kill my average speeds, but hey ho.

Associate

I’m figuring out riding into Manchester again, now that I’ve changed jobs. I’ve got a 12 mile route which is 8 miles of road and 4 miles of old single track railway which has been paved. Going off-road allows me to avoid some nasty stretches around a busy motorway junction. It’s not lit but I’ve got a Chinese solar storm x2 which is stupidly bright and more than enough to see where you’re going. The off-road surfaces are good enough that it’s doable on my single speed bike and the climbing isn’t too severe, though I have dropped the gearing to 48*18. The last stretch into town is pretty rubbish, with non-stop traffic lights, so that’ll kill my average speeds, but hey ho.

How do you manage if you are at a client? I think I recall you've gone back to working at a professional services firm.

Permabanned

Are you riding on the Fallowfield Loop as part of your commute now?

I ride the loop from Fairfield to Sainbury's Fallowfield on my commute. On the way home last night the fog was insane, pointed my front light down a bit more than usual so I could at least see the floor and there was little point lighting up the fog. I love cycling the loop in the morning as it's slightly downhill on the way in, on the way back though whilst it's not hilly it just feels like a constant drag!!

Soldato
Went to replace some brake pads this evening and discovered the rim is pretty much done. Swapped it over for a spare wheel I had in the shed. Will recover the hub over the weekend, then it's wheelbuilding time!
Fun fun fun! What kinda mileage has that seen?

Really foggy here last night around 9pm with very little wind, bit more of a breeze here this morning and the fog had 99% cleared. Although I left home things where damp yet felt around 2-3 degrees, got to work (1.2 miles as the crow flies!) and things where frozen over with the tarmac like an ice rink. Really glad I noticed! Really strange but guess with the fog there were isolated frost 'pockets' where fog froze before the bit of early morning breeze cleared the fog but left the freeze.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom