Road Cycling

Soldato
So after saying I won't be doing any Sportives this year I just booked one for 8th April which sounded a little different -
The Southwold Sportive ‘Roubaix‘ is our tribute to the famous Paris-Roubaix, a gruelling road race renowned for its cobbles, crashes, broken bikes and exhausted riders caked in mud and muck. Held on the same day as the famed race, our tribute to this classic will be gentler than the Arenberg Forest, but will still feature several sections of rough, unmade paths or cobbles.

The 8th is my birthday too so had to be done really if only to prove there is some life in the old dog when I'm over half way to 70 ;)

Not sure what this entails but I'll sure as hell be tacking it on at the end :D

an optional 3 mile tough hero lap for the brave and foolhardy

:eek: :D

Soldato
Agreed. Now road bikes are having more and more clearance. Just chuck the right tyres on it and away you go. Flat bars on an adventure bike would take away the flexibility of road riding and also sitting on the hoods is the most comfortable position (especially as everything is within reach) for longer distance which you don't get on flat bar bikes unless you chuck on some bull horns.

Roady's notion of a bullhorn type arrangement is probably optimal for an offroad-biased gravel machine I reckon. a bit wider than a standard road bar, maybe 550 or so width with a curved up section at the ends to replicate the hood position

Soldato
Help! I the needle that enables you to attach a pump on the rear tyre snapped as soon as i finished pumping the tyres

Do I just need to buy a new inner tube ?

Would the tyre lose air fast because the needle bit you screw a bit to attach your pump is gone? Or can it hold its pressure ok ?

Soldato
11 speed chains. Cheapest place to source a 105 level one, not fussed what make really just need a few for commuter and backups. I wish Ihad got more of the cheap FSA ones last year.

Soldato
Still hanging about wheels!

Emailed 5 people, had two replies, one wasn’t what I was hoping and waiting for a come back on the second!

Wouldn’t have thought it was so difficult to spend £500!

FFWD F2A looking more promising since a week has gone by nearly.... even if they grenade the rims the hubs are £300 to buy... id like something by the bank holiday weekend so I can try and get some time in ahead of the Rapha ride.

https://www.evanscycles.com/fast-forward-f2a-alloy-dt240s-shimano-wheelset-EV212792

Soldato
11 speed chains. Cheapest place to source a 105 level one, not fussed what make really just need a few for commuter and backups. I wish Ihad got more of the cheap FSA ones last year.

Merlin Cycles have the HG-601 for £16.00 when buying two. Tbh I'd pop to my local Halfords, have them price match and then use BC 10% on top if the cashier isn't that savvy. Did this a few weeks back with another retailer and paid about £14.

Edit: Spoke too soon, PlanetX - £12.50 - delivery at £4 burns a bit though.

Some good sale offers on there currently.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been emailing round trying to get wheel recommendations/costs... see what the collective on here think.
Can't really comment on actual DCR build quality but he was very active replying to emails and had a long email conversation with him a couple of years back. Very down to earth and will advise you on what is best for your situation and long term wheelset life/use rather than just trying to sell you the most expensive components. He's not the cheapest and generally has a long waiting list but there's a reason for that.

DT240 are kinda the benchmark, many of the DT hubs are for these kind of premium/race builds. The 350 hasn't really taken over the 240 as a cheaper hub to build with as so many people have gone the Hope RS4 route instead. Speaking to my LBS there's very little to choose between them, both fantastic hubs, good bearings and life.

Shimano hubs are quite well regarded by wheelbuilders but most go for them as cheaper options (tiagra etc) rather than ultegra/dura ace kinda level. Not sure why (price/alternatives?).

Hplusson without a doubt when it comes to rims. Almost every builder rates them, even more so than DT rims (which are still good, the R460 is becoming a bit of a benchmark for handbuilt disc brake road wheels). Hplus look awesome too!

FFWD F2A looking more promising since a week has gone by nearly.... even if they grenade the rims the hubs are £300 to buy... id like something by the bank holiday weekend so I can try and get some time in ahead of the Rapha ride.

https://www.evanscycles.com/fast-forward-f2a-alloy-dt240s-shimano-wheelset-EV212792
Glorious wheels and that's a damn good price. Just a shame they don't have the F4R with a similar reduction! :(

Cheapest I've seen a DT240s rear for is £230 and not even that recently. Usually at least £250.

I really rate the SRAM PC1130. I've got consistently higher mileage from them than KMC. You all know how hard I am on chains and how frequently I change them (while regularly cross-chaining)! ;)

Wiggle currently £16 but I've generally only paid £14 for them most of the time previously from there or CRC. Tweeks and Ribble at a quick glance have them for £14.

Last edited:
Soldato
#winning

I bought 4 of them in a Black Friday deal, forgetting I'd already got 2. Sorted for a while now! At least a few months! ;)

Anyone seen any snow yet? Blazing sunshine, bright and clear here. One of the warmest days of the year so far yet the forecast is dreadful tomorrow & sunday! :o :(

Soldato
Been quite mild here today, but once again, I've been fighting extreme fatigue all day... Another frustratingly unconstructive day off, including no cycling, besides getting the commuter ready with the studded tyres and a bit of lube on the chain.:(

Tomorrow morning's cycle and then a shift at work in "feels like" sub zero temps is going to be an eye-opener after wearing shorts earlier this week!

Soldato
Can't really comment on actual DCR build quality but he was very active replying to emails and had a long email conversation with him a couple of years back. Very down to earth and will advise you on what is best for your situation and long term wheelset life/use rather than just trying to sell you the most expensive components. He's not the cheapest and generally has a long waiting list but there's a reason for that.

DT240 are kinda the benchmark, many of the DT hubs are for these kind of premium/race builds. The 350 hasn't really taken over the 240 as a cheaper hub to build with as so many people have gone the Hope RS4 route instead. Speaking to my LBS there's very little to choose between them, both fantastic hubs, good bearings and life.

Shimano hubs are quite well regarded by wheelbuilders but most go for them as cheaper options (tiagra etc) rather than ultegra/dura ace kinda level. Not sure why (price/alternatives?).

Hplusson without a doubt when it comes to rims. Almost every builder rates them, even more so than DT rims (which are still good, the R460 is becoming a bit of a benchmark for handbuilt disc brake road wheels). Hplus look awesome too!

Glorious wheels and that's a damn good price. Just a shame they don't have the F4R with a similar reduction! :(

Cheapest I've seen a DT240s rear for is £230 and not even that recently. Usually at least £250.

I’d go for them just the 20/24H is holding me back a little bit. Don’t want to Pringle a rim given the state of the roads.

The max weight is quoted as being 110kg though so I am well inside that at maybe 85 at the moment!

Still another day has gone by and no email replies. Sure I could call but most websites say they prefer email, and want to email you price/confirmation details! With an expected build time of 2-3 weeks I’m middle of April then too!

Which websites are best for used gear? Everyone loves feeling like they are getting a bargain.

Associate
So brakes mostly replaced. Not convinced old brake (that is now in bits and beyond repair) was actually broke. Oh well, upgrade should be worth it

Back
Top Bottom