Road Cycling

Soldato
New Shoes
CmSUhwRWIAExWwI.jpg:medium

Soldato
Has anyone tried the Levi's 511 commuter jeans?

Also I need to get some new commuting spd's - any reccomendations, I'm currently wearing a battered set of shimano touring ones.

Soldato
Very nice new shoes oli!

Weather is looking very...changeable this weekend. Can't decide if it's weather for the light Gabba, or weather for the summer jersey and a light raincoat if the heavens open.

Really need to find a good lightweight raincoat-type-thing. Any suggestions?

Soldato
Very nice new shoes oli!

Weather is looking very...changeable this weekend. Can't decide if it's weather for the light Gabba, or weather for the summer jersey and a light raincoat if the heavens open.

Castelli Squadra?

Zip it right up and tuck the sleeves under your gloves it you want to stay warm / bake or leave it open at the top and let some air in up the sleeves :)

Haven't ridden in mine for prolonged periods or for any very hard efforts, only when caught out but I think whilst it does have some breathability under the arms it can probably get a bit clammy if worn for hours on end.

Good to keep the chill off when stationary and waiting for others or stopping for a short rest.

Soldato
Very nice new shoes oli!

I gave up waiting on the new Vaypor+ as wiggle were suggesting 6 months+, and they had the S on sale so thought why not :)

I'm not sure there is a decent waterproof jacket for heavy rain when the weather is like it is at the moment - I've got a gore oxygen active shell, it's good but when it's not as breathable as I would like. I've heard eVent jackets can be a bit more breathable and I think there is a DHB one that looked reasonable that might be worth checking out

Soldato
Coming out of work and there's an ambulance sitting on the grass next to the left turn of the roundabout.

Cyclist sitting up but with a big cut on his nose. Two witnesses. Rear wheel of the bike broken in two. No sign of a car. Either the car hit him and ****ed off or his wheel snapped. Inclined to believe it was the former. Thankfully he didn't look in too bad a shape. Police were there.

Soldato
If the police were there I'd guess it involved another vehicle. Good that they actually attended... hope the cyclist isn't too bad!

Work summer do this evening so putting on suit for first time in well over a year... eek it doesn't fit - kinda large. I blame cycling.

Soldato
If the police were there I'd guess it involved another vehicle. Good that they actually attended... hope the cyclist isn't too bad!

Work summer do this evening so putting on suit for first time in well over a year... eek it doesn't fit - kinda large. I blame cycling.

Yeah, the guy seemed ok. He was at least conscious and sitting up. I was fearing the worst as I got there to be honest. Bike was in a worse shape than he was! Interestingly enough, there was a paramedic car (and an ambulance) but no police car. So perhaps the police came with the paramedic.

I would blame the cycling too! Haha!

I'll take a look at that Squadra BennyC.

@ oli

The rain is so unpredictable, but insanely heavy, so I guess anything gets soaked. I might just wear the Perfetto (lightweight Gabba), it's what it's designed for.

Associate
That's good to hear. I assumed they'd come with some sort of cleat but turns out I was wrong haha. First noob fail of the endeavour :D

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
I know we have some more technically minded/engineers amongst us so hopefully someone can advise if it's possible and what would be needed...

The 10" desk fan I've used in the past on the turbo is still going strong but something with a much higher airflow would serve me well so a 14-18" high velocity floor fan is on the cards. Most will have a couple of speed settings but aren't remote controlled so would require getting off to crank it up/down.

Is there some sort of variable resistor I could plug 'in-line' with a control closer to the turbo/rollers that I could use? Or would it make more sense to just remove the fan assembly which effectively does this and run some longer cables to/from the fan?

Or just get a broom handle and angle it away as and when :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom