Road Cycling

Soldato
For my budget, should I be looking for a carbon frame?

I could be tempted by a 0% BNPL deal, then pay it off after Christmas, not sure how that would sit with the accountant though.

Depends...

With your budget if you didn't mind what you rode geometry/brand wise then you could get a good carbon setup, something Cannondale, Giant, Canyon with 105. Or more 'no-name' brands like Verenti, PX, Eastway etc you'd get lighter carbon and probably Ultegra.

If you were more conscious about the name/brand/geometry/aero then you may struggle to get a decent groupset and carbon.

Although saying that there's nothing wrong with quality aluminium, my Giant Defy 1 2015 was lighter than many carbon bikes for less than £900.

Soldato
Genesis and Kinesis are quite a well known and respected British brands but they don't exactly carry a huge range. You're paying a bit of a premium (even more for smaller British brands) due to the limited numbers they sell, you're not likely to see them doing huge sales with great deals on either, I don't tend to follow many other British brands so can't comment. Maybe some others will!

I did look at the Kinesis Racelight 4S Disc before getting my Diverge.

Soldato
Worth noting that kinesis frames have a pretty aggressive setup too.

Coming up to 3 years with a T2 as my daily and it's a superb bike

Man of Honour
I'm gonna go look at a Synapse Hi-Mod Red Disc tomorrow. Doesn't have Etap but I've decided I'm not all that bothered. Not really used Sram stuff though. OH's bike has Rival(? 105 equivalent) and it seems pretty good. Had a sit on something at PX with Force on it and that shifted really nicely on a turbo anyway.

Soldato
Spotted that my Diverge Comp Carbon is listed as having a 52/36 crankset, whereas my Giant Defy 1 had a 50/34. Will investigate this later. I have noticed I occasionally ride more 'rolling' terrain in my lower chainring, whereas I only really used it on the Giant when climbing... :o

Edit: Have a great weekend all! Pictures will follow on monday of my mudguard fettling over the weekend...!

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally got my cycle scheme bike through:

9VznXc5.jpg

Just ridden it home and fallen in love with it already. It's a nice change of pace from darting around on my Scott Foil the whole time! Not sure I'll ride it for too long without a brake however!

Associate
Quick question for those with power meters: I went out the other day to see what my FTP was out on the road, my garmin 520 is saying one number but I'm getting notifications off training peaks with another number that is totally different - which one should I use?

Edit: actually I've done something wrong on training peaks my IF scores are around 1.6 and the TSS is in the thousands :s

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well I've finished the indexing and adjusting, seems to go well on the stand. Pretty happy so far. The vids were very helpful!

Also changed the front tyre and tube, just enough time spare to put it all away and grab a beer for the football.

Have a good weekend all and thanks for the help.

Soldato
Don't know if it's been mentioned but as there are a few on here with Kurt Kinetic road machine turbos, they are releasing a smart control power unit so it now has variable controlled resistance. https://kurtkinetic.com/products/smart-control-resistance-unit/. I think I will upgrade mine for zwift when it gets grim this winter.

I was thinking that sounds good - then saw the price. Hopefully DCRainmaker will be doing a review (he say he's got one)

Caporegime
Back from a week's holiday and no riding. Went out for 17 super windy miles this morning. I pulled some guy along for a mile or so into a headwind, absolutely dying to keep ahead of him. He drew alongside me and said he was only out for a slow one! He dropped me soon after, as I was knackered after that, but fortunately I turned and had the wind behind me soon after.

This'll be my first week since March or maybe even February when I've not done 100 miles. I'm on course to beat last year's total of just under 3900 miles by the end of this month.

Soldato
Went out on the TT bike to test some position tweaks, that was very very sketchy! Wind was huge and occasionally caught the front wheel. Glad I'm not due to ride today. Hopefully die down tomorrow!

Few more bits from Rapha turned up, but only going to keep the green Brevet jersey, it is lovely. Merino full arms are just so soft :D

Back
Top Bottom