Road Cycling

Soldato
Grab one of the £25 ones from lidl/aldi for maintenance, does the same job for 1/3rd the price.
They're well regarded and recommended, but I know Aldi only stock them when they have all their cycling stuff in so you might struggle to find one.
If you can't get a Lidl/Aldi special, I've had one of these for probably 10 years now and still doing the job

https://www.merlincycles.com/bike-tools-workstand-49075.html
I have one of these, but it came from PX for £40 in a deal a couple of years ago, still going strong! :cool:
For workstands I spotted this the other day: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultrasport-331300000203-Work-Stand-Expert/dp/B00CJY8RL4/r

Looks fairly good for the price... similar to Aldi/LIDL stands?
Almost exactly the same! If you have amazon prime you might be able to get one on a saturday delivery?

An alternative to the expensive Park Tool stand (which I expect to be superb) is to 'mount' the bike another way. I've previously done maintenance on 'wheel stands' and even cobbled together a piece of wood holding a bike in the air from the bottom of the bottom bracket with the front wheel tied with string to a garden hose... I wouldn't recommend either! What I would recommend is something I saw on facebook - a guy had used the roof beams in his garage, looping ropes over them to tie the bike up in the air. Obviously you can only do this if you have a garage... Although you could loop around other things - just be careful nothing falls on you and is strong enough to support the bike with whatever efforts you're putting into spanners/screwdrivers! :cool:

Man of Honour
Last edited:
Soldato
Nice, how much did you pay?

I have two dhb tops however I can't seem to find any decent high viz ones and I fancy a couple for the winter.

It was £70 from £130 i think.

This is the 1st bit of rapha I own! Usually DHB/Castelli stuff for me. No stock left unless your XS or XXL!:D

Man of Honour
My Whyte Suffolk will turn into my commuter/Winter bike over Christmas, so next year I'll be on the lookout for a new bike for evening/weekend use with a £2200 or so budget. When do the new bikes come out each year?

Man of Honour
See if anywhere has 0% finance or whack on a credit card. If you're odd sized buying in January/February could net you some big savings though.

Not really an option, I'm in the middle of paying off debt at the minute and I don't want to add to it.

I'll be buying the bike through my company anyway, hence the £2200 mark so I get 20% back at the end of the tax quarter. :)

Soldato
Ribble doing the granfondo with 105 for £775 at the mo

That strikes me as rather good value.
Awesome value, 5800 crankset? If so that and the shifters are worth ~£300 alone!
My Whyte Suffolk will turn into my commuter/Winter bike over Christmas, so next year I'll be on the lookout for a new bike for evening/weekend use with a £2200 or so budget. When do the new bikes come out each year?
They tend to follow after the TdF and are released during the tour, or the autumn bike shows which tend to follow it.
Ideally you want to buy last years model now, you'll get some good bargains.
Like me picking up my Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon 2016 for £1875 (reduced from £2500 RRP, they were on sale prior to this for £2100-2200). Specialized did a Europe wide price drop around the middle of July to make way for the 2017 edition. The only difference from one year to the next (besides price) is the wheelset...

EDIT: Any news on FT's progress? Headwinds made the heavy drizzle into a horrific monsoon on my way back at lunch (first wet commute since moving house).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
For my budget, should I be looking for a carbon frame?

I could be tempted by a 0% BNPL deal, then pay it off after Christmas, not sure how that would sit with the accountant though.

Back
Top Bottom