Road Cycling

Soldato
Changed my handlebars as to not give everyone here eye aids :D Also what was giving me eye aids was the scratched up parts of the 6800 shifters, and found I could just order those parts for a 5er on ebay, so those on the way. Got a KMC chain coming, just need to get the crankset now. With my aim to keep this bike as cheap as possible, I have my eye on one on ebay but the paints a bit worn on the right side... I might just accept it but feel the need to try and tart it up a bit. Anyone painted their worn cranks?

Soldato
Possibly one for @Roady - SRAM have purchased PowerTap from Saris.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04...t-it-means-for-both-brands-and-consumers.html

Don't know if that influences any decisions for you.

Not particularly as I've already got my unit, although really does mean the C1 is now a totally dead product line (as DCR mentions). With Quarq now rounding out their product line with pedals, hubs and crank based power meters.

Still means my thinking around a Quarq spider in the medium/far future is a fairly safe bet!

So I'm riding Specialized with Zipp wheels, Quarq/Powertap PWM and a Wahoo headunit. American much?! Haha :o ;)

Soldato
First ride out of the year yesterday. Only covered 40 miles, with (i think) my previous ride being 102 miles back in July/august last year! Nevertheless my ass is s.ill hurting a bit :( Bought some bib tights from Decathlon on the way home from work so i'll have to give those a go soon. Looking forward to getting back into it, it's just a shame that to get to any decent roads I need to get trains to somewhere. Yesterday I got the train out to Ashurst New Forest which was fine to be honest; 50 minutes each way although I had to carry a small rucksack holding a jumper, bit of food, shoes for while on the train and stuff.

Where do you guys find your cycling clubs? I'd like to get more involved and I think joining a club would give me more reasons to get out more regularly

Soldato
First ride out of the year yesterday. Only covered 40 miles, with (i think) my previous ride being 102 miles back in July/august last year! Nevertheless my ass is s.ill hurting a bit :( Bought some bib tights from Decathlon on the way home from work so i'll have to give those a go soon. Looking forward to getting back into it, it's just a shame that to get to any decent roads I need to get trains to somewhere. Yesterday I got the train out to Ashurst New Forest which was fine to be honest; 50 minutes each way although I had to carry a small rucksack holding a jumper, bit of food, shoes for while on the train and stuff.

Where do you guys find your cycling clubs? I'd like to get more involved and I think joining a club would give me more reasons to get out more regularly

What postcode are you riding from? I'm based in SO18 and can be climbing my first cat4 hill in the South Downs comfortably within an hour.

Having said that, my spring has not got off to the start I wanted, since we got back from Longleat Center Parcs. Caught some mild lurgy in mid March, having recovered and set a new 20min power PB the week or so before despite having another lurgy mid Jan to mid Feb that stalled my encouraging progress from early Nov on the turbo, still yet to go out for my first South Downs ride this month. Thought I was becoming lurgy-free on Monday just gone, did the full RGT Ventoux course on the turbo that afternoon, but then threw my guts up from late afternoon Tuesday and woke with lurgy feeling on Wednesday... I'm sick of being sick this year, think it's ~8 weeks of the 16 so far!

Soldato
What postcode are you riding from? I'm based in SO18 and can be climbing my first cat4 hill in the South Downs comfortably within an hour.

PO14. I could be heading out towards Alton within half hour of being on the bike, if not less, but getting out of Fareham is absolute carnage/simply dangerous.

Just had a quick look and South Downs and I'm comfortably closer than you; I'll have a look at planning some routes. What roads do you mainly use, and can you suggest good places to stop for rests/lunch?

Found a few past and future sportives so i've got a few routes that I can throw together on strava :) Hows the surface out there?

Last edited:
Soldato
PO14. I could be heading out towards Alton within half hour of being on the bike, if not less, but getting out of Fareham is absolute carnage/simply dangerous.

Just had a quick look and South Downs and I'm comfortably closer than you; I'll have a look at planning some routes. What roads do you mainly use, and good places to stop for rests/lunch?

I mostly ride between Kilmeston, Hambledon, South Harting and Hawkley... Linking up a few cat3/4 hills. Besides the A roads around there, you get very few motorists, I have to briefly (no more than ~1min) use the A32 to get from Wheely Down to Hayden Lane, while I have to be a bit more selective on when I run the gauntlet to use the A472 from Stroud to get to the base of Bell Hill just north of Petersfield.

I don't do cafe stops, but there are benches with lovely views near Butser Hill and Old Winchester Hill summits.

Probably the best simple guide of roads I use can be taken from this century ride last year https://www.strava.com/activities/1595555040

I've only ridden around Fareham once and that was by accident, two years ago, when I tried to get home without using Google Maps... Went through Hambledon by accident, took a wrong turn and ended up on the A27 just after rush hour, not pleasant!

Soldato
Feel everything for play. Rear wheel, free hub body, cassette and headset too.

I've got a start for a TT that I forgot to enter before the closing date. 9.36am start and I'm meant to be drinking at a house warming tonight :o.

Soldato
I mostly ride between Kilmeston, Hambledon, South Harting and Hawkley... Linking up a few cat3/4 hills. Besides the A roads around there, you get very few motorists, I have to briefly (no more than ~1min) use the A32 to get from Wheely Down to Hayden Lane, while I have to be a bit more selective on when I run the gauntlet to use the A472 from Stroud to get to the base of Bell Hill just north of Petersfield.

I don't do cafe stops, but there are benches with lovely views near Butser Hill and Old Winchester Hill summits.

Probably the best simple guide of roads I use can be taken from this century ride last year https://www.strava.com/activities/1595555040

I've only ridden around Fareham once and that was by accident, two years ago, when I tried to get home without using Google Maps... Went through Hambledon by accident, took a wrong turn and ended up on the A27 just after rush hour, not pleasant!

Thanks I'll look around those places :) I've also got a back-up plan in that there's regular trains between Fareham and Havant, 18minutes each way, no changes, and the sum of £4 return :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Think there must be something wrong with me, my wife asked me the other day if I'd like a new bike for my 50th birthday the end of this year......I said no I'm happy with the one I've got & wouldn't make best use of a new one. :eek:

Before my accident I'd been contemplating either a new Canyon or evan a Bianchi with Di2 & internal cable routing (my 2014 Felt F5 has neither) but just don't think I would get the best out of one .

I'm now back on the turbo trainer, hip still has a way to go before its fully healed & flexible again but hopefully I'll be back on the road in the next 6 weeks or so.

Do I just need a good slap & start researching what I'd like or am I being sensible? :D

Soldato
Heh. I feel similar with getting a new bike. My bike right now (Cube Agree GTC with a mix of 105/Ultegra, mismatched wheels and various other peculiarities) is pretty worn at ~35000 miles and a few crashes. It certainly shows but I don't feel like plunging money into a new bike will make me much faster or feel that much better. This bike still works fine and is comfortable. The only time I've thought "Damn. I need another bike" is when mine is out of service. A spare would be useful...

I do however want something disc-equipped with wide tyre clearances that could be useful for off-roading and touring/bikepacking duty. Something like a Cannondale Topstone / Pinnacle Arkose. For now though I don't really have the space to keep another bike.

Back
Top Bottom