Road Cycling

Soldato
Feel everything for play. Rear wheel, free hub body, cassette and headset too.

I've got a start for a TT that I forgot to enter before the closing date. 9.36am start and I'm meant to be drinking at a house warming tonight :o.

On the subject of noise after my subject last week (thinking rear wheel/spokes).

I washed my bike today, then used it on the trainer, no noises.

Either something is happening different on the road or the rear wheel is the source of my noise. I’ll try and ride it again this week to confirm & can try a different rear wheel also.

Soldato
If buying a bike won't add to the enjoyment you get out of riding then why bother? I get a great sense of satisfaction from wearing parts out.

https://carlinthecyclist.com/epic-failure-ultegra-6800-11-speed-crank/
This is apparently quite common. I suspect they've fixed the issue in R8000 though based on how many reports there were of failures of 6800.

Maybe I've been lucky but my 6800 crank has done 34000 miles without snapping.
wow, did not think shimano had any issues, have ordered a r8000 chainset

now just need to workout how i am going to convert the BB to fit it
https://imgur.com/9lphG6k
closeup of the failed chainset, not happy

Last edited:
Soldato
I had never worked on a failed 6800 crank until last week but I did know how well documented it was.

Mine is fine after quite a few thousand miles though so I'm happy. I barely clean the bike so maybe that helps?

For BB30 to 24mm I fit https://wheelsmfg.com/products/new-...contact-bb-for-24mm-cranks-shimano-black.html as it has a press fit element to it and also the thread together so shouldn't creak. It won't fit certain frames that have full carbon BB shells, like the Felt F1.

Lots of bikes came with BB30 bearings installed and https://wheelsmfg.com/products/bb-c...-for-24mm-spindle-cranks-shimano-fsa-etc.html those to reduce the 30mm hole to 24mm but I don't like that setup as it doesn't do away with the pants BB30 bearings and introduces another part to the BB area.

Soldato
Had a good ride out on saturday. Amazing sunshine, but freezing cold strong wind from the east (unusual direction) made it quite interesting! Normal guys I ride with, 5 of us turned up (normally quite a good turnout!) but we'd had some discussions to ride with one of the other clubs (ELY) as the route was quite boring/plain. Being a race club their rides are a few mph quicker than our usual but also have enough riders for 'fast' and 'slow' groups. With almost 30 riders out it made our slow group a real good group experience with 18/19 of us. Such huge varied ability, rider types and the conditions it was just lots of wheel holding and surging. Combined with the different kind of route (a rough figure of 8) really did mix things up, but also featured some of the worst roads around (christ knows why, there's far better surfaced quiet roads!).

https://www.strava.com/activities/2286431951

Still great fun, did end up on the front a number of times, usually the climbs so didn't really experience the winds affect until this stint here where we had a mini pace-line start. Less than probably 2 minutes I was blown and pretty much dropped, from the front handful to right out the back. Really struggled to recover then as the slight drag, junction and corners really made it seem like surges. I did get a bit of a rest at a junction followed by a downhill - as the bunch was split by both, then also by an idiotic car driver who squeezed in between me and another rider before then brake checking me. Idiot. Stopping at the junction at the bottom right behind him, he did the same again which I almost fell for. Thankfully was pretty much stationary so in anger I gave him a 'friendly' nudge on his bumper probably harder than I should've done. Really made a bang and thought I'd damaged something. Thankfully (lol) he just drove away. Quick feel of my wheel (and my feet not covered in sealant) no damage my side. Did a good pull then into the headwind (adrenaline!) to try and close the gap to the front (4-5 of us behind) but they where long gone.

Really pleased how well my legs held up, it was only a few of the end kicks where I really hadn't got much left, until that stint in the wind on the front. With being unable to get out very often for club rides, I probably need to do more of these faster rides.

Have a Sportive coming up I'd totally forgotten about, they still have tickets available and the 'full pint' route is only 53 miles. Won't really need any training for that, but really down to if I can stomach paying £30 to ride 53 miles on open roads. Haha! :rolleyes:

Dethroned on the Sa Calobra segment!:(

265qF4x.png
Perfect excuse to go back?!

Pfft I’m 5kg lighter than when I last went to Mallorca, that’s going down next time. :p
Shots fired!

I'm sick of being sick this year, think it's ~8 weeks of the 16 so far!
/signed.

A few rides later and the knocking once per rev is back! :mad:
Check bearings... Especially if they've been changed.

I found the cause of my chain rub I couldn't quite solve over the last few weeks... Replacement bearings I ordered, although technically the right size, the one on the NDS was missing an additional 'lip' on the inner race. So the bearing cover that side had been crushed/compressed inwards so the whole spindle then would move 2-3mm towards the drive side. FFS! :o

Damn Praxis/Specialized. Selling it as a 'PF30' replacement. Branded M30 by Praxis. With the drive side being a 30mm bearing and the NDS being a 28mm. Glad I caught that, but then the damn bearings having the same damn model numbers on them so I totally missed the fact there's more of a difference than the size (additional lip). WTF!? :mad::confused:

All done 500k mostly into a headwind. Made a nice £4k for charity :cool::D
Mega riding, fantastic stuff! Gonna do a writeup of the experience? :D

anyone have any experience with bb30 to hollowtech adapters?
was looking at the praxis M30 converter
<snip>
Not experience of a hollowtech adaptor but I'm running a Praxis M30 in the OSBB of my Specialized Diverge.

Fairly good experience, although many known issues with them which if you do your own servicing of I think you'd be happy with. It's 'easy' to solve most by stripping and cleaning the Praxis collet occasionally (which takes a special Praxis tool to undo - but only cost £15). According to my LBS Specialized fit them dry so there are loads of complaints of creaking BB's. So many they remove them & refit with grease. With them dry moisture and grit can more easily get inbetween the interfaces causing noises. Easy to remove, clean & refit. Just did mine again when changing bearings as found it loads easier (& quieter) to remove BB bearings with it removed.

Although I did have a bit of a 'gotchya' where the NDS bearing (see above) is a slightly different size AND has an additional lip. Unsure if you'd have the same problem with HT. I know Praxis do various adaptor kits for the M30, so possibly (same bearing, same problem when replacing).

Last edited:
Soldato
Was it @Jonny ///M who said reliability rides are treated like races? I went out on another local CC RR on Sunday. This time I managed to hang on for maybe 3 km with the group I started with!

The pace was just nuts for me. I was pushing close to 45km/h on the flat (easily over my threshold) and the group was riding away from me :eek::mad: I did catch up with a few people riding the shorter route, so had a brief chat with a bloke in that group. He said whilst he's a member of the club, he doesn't do any club rides as he takes no pleasure in being dropped all the time.

Got back to the village hall which was the base to find the last person had just locked up and was going home. He did offer me a brew but I declined as I could be halfway home by the time he'd unlocked and a brew made. Not the best advert for the club IMO.

Anyway, the wind in the second half of the router was a killer - a real slog into the wind and a few :eek: moments with gusty crosswinds.

Tea Drinker
Don
Mega riding, fantastic stuff! Gonna do a writeup of the experience? :D

Not really :p, was gruelling mostly into a head wind and some sleet and at least four big climbs per day, admittedly not massive but long and painful. The support van we had was excellent so I stripped the bike of everything and down to one bottle stopping every 20 miles or so to stretch my back out and a warm drink. Freezing though, feet were kept toasty with silver foil and overshoes and taped up the vents a la GCN hints, and a half a dozen charcoal hand warmers in my jersey, thermal gloves a neck warmer and hooded jacket. Still cold though :eek:

Crux was excellent as usual, cruising fast and comfortable.

Soldato
Was it @Jonny ///M who said reliability rides are treated like races? I went out on another local CC RR on Sunday. This time I managed to hang on for maybe 3 km with the group I started with!
Haha sounds brutal! I'm not quite sure why they're treated like races? Then again most of the UK seems to treat even sportives as races!? :rolleyes:

Not really :p, was gruelling mostly into a head wind and some sleet and at least four big climbs per day, admittedly not massive but long and painful. The support van we had was excellent so I stripped the bike of everything and down to one bottle stopping every 20 miles or so to stretch my back out and a warm drink. Freezing though, feet were kept toasty with silver foil and overshoes and taped up the vents a la GCN hints, and a half a dozen charcoal hand warmers in my jersey, thermal gloves a neck warmer and hooded jacket. Still cold though :eek:

Crux was excellent as usual, cruising fast and comfortable.
Good summary! Really miserable winds, certainly felt like from a slightly different direction here during that week, typical! Good to hear the crux was great! I'm not sure breaks and warm drinks that regularly would work for me - think I would find it too disruptive. I'd ride much easier without the interruptions! ;) :D

Was this done as part of a large group - sharing the work on the front? Can't tell much from your (huge) screenshots, linking the Strava activities is the usual trick, rather than screens ;)

New carbon wheels - ok to continue to use current carbon specific brake pads (Swiss stop) once cleaned, or should I be using new pads? They aren't that worn.
As Saytan mentioned. In theory there is no physical reason why you can't use the same pads (providing they're suitable for the rims!), but I think most people change pads when they change to new rims.

Just from a mindset side of things - new wheels = new pads etc. Also consider if the pads have already worn into a groove in the old brake track, yet the new rims brake track doesn't have a groove, or doesn't exactly line up, your already worn braking surface is probably going to give you some pretty uneven braking feelings until it wears in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Then again most of the UK seems to treat even sportives as races!? :rolleyes:

Ha. Definitely seems to be the case. It was quite refreshing to ride a German sportive last year - it didn't feel like a race. That's even despite pretty much every amateur club rider having hundreds of sponsor logos over their club kit.

Tea Drinker
Don
Good summary! Really miserable winds, certainly felt like from a slightly different direction here during that week, typical! Good to hear the crux was great! I'm not sure breaks and warm drinks that regularly would work for me - think I would find it too disruptive. I'd ride much easier without the interruptions! ;) :D

Was this done as part of a large group - sharing the work on the front? Can't tell much from your (huge) screenshots, linking the Strava activities is the usual trick, rather than screens ;)

Tried to keep together as a group of four but there was many different abilities and speeds, it was too much hard work keeping behind slower riders. TBH I just ground it out on my own trying to keep as aero as possible :(

Soldato
Came down sick on Monday and been feeling crap all week, no improvement.

Marshalling at TT tonight since I can’t really ride. Hoping I feel better tomorrow to at least get something in!

Soldato
So many passing things around, I see xdcx is still ill too. Good on you putting something back though, need guys like you to have these events. Get out this weekend in the epic heat we should be getting :cool:

I went for a haircut and a wee guy was sitting near me and decided to sneeze :confused: I'm an athlete wee man come on!

After going absolutely pish on Tuesday I decided to increase my saddle height by about 20mm, I think it fell doing that TT to be honest. Also made sure to eat more than a Subway all day - didn't really make tonight easier. Ended up having a steak bake, cheese and chutney toasty, some sort of oval bite and 4 boiled eggs for breakfast so maybe not the right sort of food :D

Felt better from the start tonight and went went with everything that got off the front and up the proper climb this time. All good until I went in to a dodgy corner right on the wheel of a Cat 2 rider, full out of saddle sprint to get over a small drag and I went to the front of another Cat 2 rider sitting on the white line as the wind was from the right.

Next thing I know both of them are in the gutter and riding away like pros, went sooooooo deep :o

Managed to get round in the bunch and was within 1s of a PR on the full route so not too shabby.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2300256410/segments/58114883236

Back
Top Bottom