Road Cycling

Soldato
I start my commute at just after 6am which is roughly the same time as the sun rises atm. I'm happy enough that I can see where I'm going in the semi-darkness, but I'm not confident that others can see me. I've already got a rear light and I'm thinking of getting a front 'be seen' light, but I was wondering if there's much point - I'm not keen on riding in the dark, and there's probably not many days left between now and it being properly dark at that time of day. Thoughts?

I would always advise yes, always do your best to be seen. I only ride in daylight because I ride for fun / exercise and I always have my flashing lights on during daylight. There are too many morons out there not paying attention so anything that catches their eye is a bonus.

Soldato
Got about 2/3rd of the way and started to go down again so pumped it up a few times to get me close enough to walk home and change to some new tubes.
Tubes? On a road bike? You're so 2012! ;)

I start my commute at just after 6am which is roughly the same time as the sun rises atm. I'm happy enough that I can see where I'm going in the semi-darkness, but I'm not confident that others can see me. I've already got a rear light and I'm thinking of getting a front 'be seen' light, but I was wondering if there's much point - I'm not keen on riding in the dark, and there's probably not many days left between now and it being properly dark at that time of day. Thoughts?
YES! A flashing front really catches the eye. Any time of year there's gloom, or even low sun I'd highly recommend one. I run a bright flashing rear even in the blazing summer midday sunshine. For what it takes to run one 'just in case' it catches a drivers eye half a second before they see me, so have more time to react/plan/be aware, it's worth it 100 times over.

There are too many morons out there not paying attention so anything that catches their eye is a bonus.
This.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a cycling back pack which can cope with the daily commute?
I currently have a dakine nomad from approx 2012 - one of the straps is on the way out. It has two compartments, an 18l main one which can hold a laptop and my clothes, a secondary compartment which I keep my pump / spare tubes etc and then a strapped helmet pouch on the exterior which I mainly use for shoes.
Does anyone know of anything similar?

I got a Vaude Splash 20+5 which I really like, very comfortable as it has a mesh back with a fixed back to the backpack itself to separate it and mvoe it away from your back. would fit all that stuff easily.

Soldato
Tubes? On a road bike? You're so 2012! ;)

YES! A flashing front really catches the eye. Any time of year there's gloom, or even low sun I'd highly recommend one. I run a bright flashing rear even in the blazing summer midday sunshine. For what it takes to run one 'just in case' it catches a drivers eye half a second before they see me, so have more time to react/plan/be aware, it's worth it 100 times over.

This.

You were sucking your thumb when I went tubeless on my other bikes :D

Soldato
Love his attitude but most bikes will be pretty much the same!

Carbon is hard to make precise, at the cost of a bike frame at least.

I'm all for fully machined metal inserts bonded into the frame which means bearings line up.

Had a Boardman today that the press fit cup just fell into the frame :confused::confused::confused:

Soldato
backpacks
Deuter Bike One 20L pack here.

Great pack, have used it a number of years (since September '14) so had my moneys worth (cost me £65!). Multiple useful pockets, good straps, good features. Solid and dependable. No damage/wear other than fade and a couple of tears on the 'rain cover' (which I have on all the time as it's high-viz). My only 'gripe' would be the rear being kept flat by a piece of foam which has.had no strength, so the 'air contours' on the rear to keep it away from my back only half work. Taking it out the pack goes all floppy so would have to swap it for something firm and cut to size. Doesn't bother me too much as I'm not riding more than 20-30 mins tops (and any pack is going to give me a sweaty back to some degree)...

You were sucking your thumb when I went tubeless on my other bikes :D
Ouch, burned haha! I'm probably not as young as you think! ;)

What reservations do you have? I can only speak for myself of course, but the only road tubeless issues I've had were in the initial setup and totally my fault!:o
Pretty much the same experience as me (so far)... Have not even bought any worms yet and probably should...!

Lunchtime viewing from Hambini - BB removal and checking on a Tifosi carbon frame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtsos05Bf3U

BB alignment on the frame is a dogs dinner - he states that the life of the BB would be reduced by 75%!
Thanks. Really like his write-ups but its been a few weeks since I caught up. Does he do much on YT?

We're sure he can be trusted to be unbiased aren't we? He certainly seems quite honest in what he's demonstrated and the GCN video I saw of him he was very instructive (about bearings and how they're sized and labelled I think?), without being too cycling specific. Well worth a look if you can find it.

EDIT: https://youtu.be/hRLbamNQa_0

Carbon is hard to make precise, at the cost of a bike frame at least.

I'm all for fully machined metal inserts bonded into the frame which means bearings line up.
Yup totally agree. Metal is much easier to machine very precisely, but then you've still gotta have that insert correctly aligned in the frame. If that's a manual 'build' process of layering carbon in a mould holding the insert in place then it's never going to be perfect in a 'handbuilt' type frame. Then again it's the misalignment of the two sides of the BB which is the problem, the whole insert being slightly out isn't a huge issue, providing there's not two sides of it which are then out of alignment. Those with machines laying/building/injecting carbon frames really should have no excuse! :cool:

The pain I had identifying my Specialized sizing 'type' in the frame to identify the correct BB I imagine is only part of the battle bike shops encounter (other brands have that information readily available). Thankfully for me mine had a machined metal insert in the frame (great) but there did appear to be one each side with a gap between them... Obviously I'm unable to see if there's additional supports between them keeping them aligned. I sure hope so! If there isn't, then they solve nothing with any bearing alignment! :rolleyes:

My Wheelsmfg BB30-OUT pushed straight in the DS. Bit tight. There's a rubber O ring around the BB and that really was tight, but was able to push it in by hand. Would've pressed/rubber malleted it in if any tighter (and the little man wasn't in bed almost above me). NDS screwed in perfectly, again quite tight. 'Tighten to 35-50nM'. My torque doesn't go that high and I got the spanner not the socket/adaptor anyway, so that was man tight + 3 grunts.

The Praxis M30 BB it replaced had a collet type system, where the DS pressed into the frame (around as tight as the Wheelsmfg but no rubber O ring), then the NDS screwed in expanding the BB to grip the insert. It bottomed out, so relied on sizing rather than relying on torque to hold it in place. It worked quite well, but with a slight gap there muck/dirt/water would get in there. I think it then sat there and worked its way between the insert and BB, eventually causing a bit of a creak and groan. Quite easy to take apart and clean out (bought the £20 Praxis tool for removing the BB). Got quite bored of doing it every 3-4 months and tried various ways to stop the ingress to little avail. The soft alloy of the bearing covers made sealing the bearings a PITA and mine eventually got damaged with all the removal & refitting making things worse. The rubber covers on the Wheelsmfg should cope better than those alloy, along with the torque/0 oring of the BB fitting keeping water/dirt/grit out of the interface. That's my hope anyway. Also going for standard bearings so no 'mare' changing them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty much the same experience as me (so far)... Have not even bought any worms yet and probably should...!

I bought worms and had a nightmare trying to get it to stay in after some glass slashed my tyre. In hindsight maybe if I had kept rolling the puncture would have sealed. Not sure. Eventually I got a worm to stay in and plodded home at 60psi, then I got woken up at 4am when the pressure burst the worm out of the tyre! :D

In the end tried various more worms and eventually settled on trying a patch. I thought it held up but after a few days the patch worked its way lose as well. Fed up, I just chucked a proper tyre and tube on the wheel.

Soldato
then I got woken up at 4am when the pressure burst the worm out of the tyre! :D
I thought we'd talked about you sleeping with your Cube... :D

In the end tried various more worms and eventually settled on trying a patch. I thought it held up but after a few days the patch worked its way lose as well. Fed up, I just chucked a proper tyre and tube on the wheel.
Hurts me to hear that... What patch was it and what glue? Might be worth investigating. Possibly cleaning the hole of sealant/worm-ness with something, then using some better glue (stronger rubber cement?) may be the answer.

To be fair I'm not even running my 32's as high as 60 PSI. Currently front 45psi and rear 50psi. Still feels hard, used to be 40/45 but had to top up air every week and minimum recommended for the tyre is 45psi. Would regularly find them as low as 30psi but no problems, just feeling slow and a bit squishy feeling. Running them minimum + above they keep air a little better and my arse will just have to build up some better resilience. :o

Bank holiday approaching and the weather is forecast to be a return to 'the heatwave' over the weekend. Superb! I'm going to venture out to Gospel pass and actually ride it this time. May give some of the usual suspects a shout and see if anyone else is up for it. If we get a few I'll push them to do The Tumble instead & make a day of it! :D

Soldato
It wasn't the Cube :)
Hint: there's only one mainstream brand that seems to ship tubeless with many of their bikes. Maybe the tyres are crap but to be honest I can't be bothered to try with new tyres.

This patch kit.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/velox-tubeless-repair-kit/

I actually put super glue in through the top of the hole as well in the hope it would help but no luck.

I'm going to venture out to Gospel pass and actually ride it this time.
How many times have you said that this year? I'll believe it when I see it.

Soldato
Anyone doing the Mad Summer Hare next week?

I've completely lost my bearings of what week it is and thought it was Sunday 8th, whereas it's Sunday 1st. I think it's probably been a good 6 months since I last did 70 miles, my road rides have all been quick 35 or 40 ish mile squirts. Slight bit of panic kicking in that my legs might actually detach and fall off around the 50 mile point :p :eek:

Soldato
It wasn't the Cube :)
Hint: there's only one mainstream brand that seems to ship tubeless with many of their bikes. Maybe the tyres are crap but to be honest I can't be bothered to try with new tyres.
Giant? Didn't realise you had one...!
I actually put super glue in through the top of the hole as well in the hope it would help but no luck.

How many times have you said that this year? I'll believe it when I see it.
Rubbish luck, quite a long cut from glass, rather than a hole I'm guessing.

And this will be the 3rd time. :rolleyes::p

Come ride it with me, could do with a leadout! :D

To be fair, I could tell last weekend that even before I got to the turn I took that I hadn't got the legs for the top of Gospel. Even after stopping for ~4 minutes to put on a rain jacket. So probably only around ~300 ft of climbing. That's only a 4th or 5th of the full climb! :o

Anyone doing the Mad Summer Hare next week?
Hadn't spotted it so won't be. Are there spaces for the March one still? Really should...! Your legs will be fine, it's only a Sportive remember and Not a Race(tm). :D:D:D

Associate
Not the summer hare but doing the Velo north ride that has been re jigged on 1st. Looking forward to it tbh. Will be my first non Zwift imperial this year with a fair bit of climbing.

Also can only get out Monday this weekend so planning a route in the Peaks incorporating a few of the ‘top 200 climbs’ SE of Bakewell.

Soldato
Giant? Didn't realise you had one...!
Got tempted by a bargain and snapped up a Propel in June. Barely ridden it actually with the terrible weather we've had, I think the Cube has seen more use still... approaching 40k miles.

Also can only get out Monday this weekend so planning a route in the Peaks incorporating a few of the ‘top 200 climbs’ SE of Bakewell.
Which are they / where do I find this list?

Back
Top Bottom