Road Cycling

Soldato
Was talking to a guy at work today about bikes and conversation led to talk of bikes being stolen, had a little check of my insurance docs and realised I'd not been locking my bikes in a way that would have been covered when out and about. So ordered myself one of the Krypto New York locks. Managed to pick it up from Tredz for £39 after discounts, some £20 less than Wiggle.

Man of Honour
OP
That sounds perfectly fine to be honest. There's no immediate need to eat post exercise unless it's savagely intense and/or you've not eaten well prior.

I don't think I'd advocate such long rides fasted, though to some extent effort/exertion will come in to play but sooner or later you will hypo. Around 2-2.5 hours of a moderate intensity is ideal I find. A tough start with some steady progress in the middle and then ramp it up again towards the end so you're not a million miles from home if you do start to flag. I'd always take some food with me even on a fasted ride, so I hope you did the same :)

Regardless of if I plan to stop somewhere along the way you never know what could happen so having something can be a god send. On this basis I always keep some water and snacks in the car.

I cycle door to door but yeah...I did have several gels on me and was cycling a mostly familiar route so I had a good idea of where the shops were and such :)

This was very much a "stop myself from pushing too hard" ride, as evidenced by the power. I tried to stay at 160-200W (max) for the whole way...which really isn't much. I could tell when I was being lax about holding myself back as within 5 minutes or so I felt pretty dodgy. Quite interesting anyhow, reminded me of how I felt when I'd bonked before and towards the end of the 200 mile ride (constantly on the edge of bonking, finding the road moving past weirdly hypnotic and having to really put effort in to concentrate, etc).

Anyhow, fun ride...not one I'll repeat any time soon ;) The fasted riding to work and such will be enough for me to dip my toes for a bit. I want to make sure I get some simple carbs in in the evenings and at the weekends so I can push myself a bit more too. I'm not sure how pointless fasted work rides are if I'm also loading up on carbs for my more intense rides but I'm assuming that there's still some benefit.

It has world maps :eek: on it from the off :eek: (bar Russia & China which download once it recognises you're in the country).

I'll do some more reading. Madindehead, has/is turn-by-turn arrived/coming soon. (There's a sentence :p)

You can just use OSM maps with the Garmin (and I presume the Element?) so I wouldn't let maps make your decision for you. I'm not saying that the Element isn't a good choice for other reasons though.

Soldato
You can just use OSM maps with the Garmin (and I presume the Element?) so I wouldn't let maps make your decision for you. I'm not saying that the Element isn't a good choice for other reasons though.

The Elemnt has maps pre-loaded. You can't actually access the map section other than to delete maps, or add areas you want. They are specially compressed to fit on the device. I think they are based on some form of OSM mapping though. But you can't add any maps you want.

http://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/217285397-ELEMNT-Software-Updates The list of firmware updates.

A piece from DCRainmaker on the turn-by-turn, and also the next steps for the unit: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/06/turn-by-turn-navigation-rolls-out-to-wahoo-elemnt.html

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Ah, that's kind of a shame /re maps. Probably not a big deal but as I've mentioned before, I feel a bit burned (on behalf of the friends I recommend it to) by the Mio debacle. It sounds like Wahoo are a million miles ahead of Mio though.

Associate
I have just got a Garmin 520 through our work fitness scheme, I already had a 1000 (got that last year through the scheme :) )

Battery is equally grim on both once all the sensors are switched on, the only thing that has helped is using GPS only (turning off GLONASS)

The Vivoactive, again through work scheme, beats them both for battery life and is good if you dont require maps, I always take the Vivo to the US so I can record my rides.

Man of Honour
OP
I have just got a Garmin 520 through our work fitness scheme, I already had a 1000 (got that last year through the scheme :) )

Battery is equally grim on both once all the sensors are switched on, the only thing that has helped is using GPS only (turning off GLONASS)

The Vivoactive, again through work scheme, beats them both for battery life and is good if you dont require maps, I always take the Vivo to the US so I can record my rides.

That seems a little OTT in terms of GPS devices :p

Soldato

Ta, will have a read.

One thing that annoys me about the 500 is that when in Map View you can't see any other metrics like speed, cadence, HR, Power, time etc.

'Added support for up to 6 data fields on map workout page' presumably that's what this is but I'll read those links and see if I can answer my own questions :)

Soldato
Benny, if you want, I can sort some photos tomorrow of the map and cycling page, with some different metrics on there.

If it's not too much trouble that would be good thanks, babe. Err wot. :p

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't quite interested, it does seem quite big but by comparison with the 810/1000 it seems by a negligible amount and is on par weight wise. All the updates (and how promptly they've materialised) as a result of consumer feedback is quite encouraging too.

July is going to be an expensive month :o

Soldato
Will get some more detailed thoughts down on these later in the week. Just had a quick 30 min spin to setup & position cleats for an FTP test on Wednesday but so far: "Thumbs up & running in less than 10 minutes" :cool:

xZZy0cal.jpg

Soldato
Just saw your Strava ride...was about to ask what your FTP was but bah... :p

I need to do an FTP test with a proper PM soon.

TrainerRoad from last year was saying 330w odd... but I think this is a little far fetched. The data was consistent last year so still beneficial, if inaccurate.

I felt fairly well warmed up by the 3rd sprint and that holding around the 300w mark is probably within reach. It's quite warm in there though & I'll have lifted albeit mindfully the day before & excuses & excuses :p

Will update the power thread once I have some new figures :)

Back
Top Bottom