Road Cycling

Soldato
Having managed just over 6,300 miles last year, I originally set myself a 7,000 mile target for this year, but early on I was well ahead of pace and decided to stretch that to 8,000. Through some parts of the year, Strava would tell me I was 4 to 500 miles ahead of this, but in the last couple of months that has started to erode, to the point I was a bit behind for the last few weeks.

A week ago, I was at 6,992 with 6 and a little bit weeks to go... but this week I've had a week off, so trying to get it back on track. I've managed around 230 miles in the last 7 days and hope to get out the next three days too. Right now Strava has me 8 miles ahead of pace... so it's going to be a close one!

Does anyone else set targets and how are you fairing against them?

Soldato
Having managed just over 6,300 miles last year, I originally set myself a 7,000 mile target for this year, but early on I was well ahead of pace and decided to stretch that to 8,000. Through some parts of the year, Strava would tell me I was 4 to 500 miles ahead of this, but in the last couple of months that has started to erode, to the point I was a bit behind for the last few weeks.

A week ago, I was at 6,992 with 6 and a little bit weeks to go... but this week I've had a week off, so trying to get it back on track. I've managed around 230 miles in the last 7 days and hope to get out the next three days too. Right now Strava has me 8 miles ahead of pace... so it's going to be a close one!

I found mine buried in my general notes, haven't put any concious effort into meeting them. I'm rather jealous of your ability to get 7/8000 miles in.

>100k endurance every month Failed, not attempted
1x alpe de zwift a month and get a sub 1 hour Failed, not attempted
3000 miles total cycled Done 3226 so far
150 active days Done 252 activities
Cycle 3x week with 1x 40k Would have failed the 40km, definitely done 3x activities every week.

Garmin HRV has been unbalanced/low since having the covid+flu jab last Wednesday and have regularly failed to start (and in the case of yesterday, complete) the planned workout. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Edge 530 for 159 Black Friday deal. I guess it will likely be replaced by the 540 in the next 12 months, but a great price anyway.
I'm considering a 530 myself after losing my Lezyne Mega XL a couple of months ago.

https://startfitness.co.uk/ have a SAVE10 code for BF stuff, it made the 530 ~£144... But just checked and the 530 appears to be now OOS.

Mega XL is a decent GPS, improved firmware over it's lifetime, amazing battery. The only thing that tempted me to the 530 was the "Climb Pro" feature, but you need to tell the 530 your route to use it, you can't just divert off route and get the feature to work when you spontaneously decide to do a climb.

Associate
I'm considering a 530 myself after losing my Lezyne Mega XL a couple of months ago.

https://startfitness.co.uk/ have a SAVE10 code for BF stuff, it made the 530 ~£144... But just checked and the 530 appears to be now OOS.

Mega XL is a decent GPS, improved firmware over it's lifetime, amazing battery. The only thing that tempted me to the 530 was the "Climb Pro" feature, but you need to tell the 530 your route to use it, you can't just divert off route and get the feature to work when you spontaneously decide to do a climb.
Yea the climb pro feature sounds really useful. I heard the wahoo new bolt and roam will get a similar screen with an update, but until it’s out it’s not clear how good it will be or how it will work. The Karoo2 looks a good aswell, but with the price I’d be tempted to get the new Garmins instead.

Soldato
I don't think the extra features of the 1040 are worth the extra

If you can get a student or company portal discount for Garmin direct on the 1040 it can be had for £468
Tempted to agree, think I head that the 1040 has lots of teething issues anyway?! Crazy for a Garmin head unit that far into their life cycles/generations to come out half baked... But this is Garmin we're talking about so can't say I'm surprised.

Also for that cost, crazy! Still a proud Wahooligan and seeing the nonsense around Garmin head units again just reinforces that. I'd probably go for the ROAM if I changed now, but realistically would be happy with a BOLTv2. I'm still on the ELEMNTv1 and happy with it. It's been totally abused and had a hard life, but 'just works' so really can't justify changing it yet.

Good effort and target 'increase' mate, well done. Perfect number if you're considering it such a close one!

My target was 5000 miles (indoor and outdoor combined). It has been for the last couple of years, when I've not even been close - 4k would've been more accurate if I wanted to beat it! Last time I hit it was in 2017 - funnily enough my son being born at the end of September '17 is likely to blame, so feels good to get back to it!

I ticked over it last Thursday so have done well this year... But have done a fair bit more regular Zwifting than other years. Maybe will even set it to 6k for next year...!

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/acce...o-elemnt-bolt-v2-gps-bike-computer/WFCC5.html £218 - just for a comparative

Probably more deals around, really not had/having time to look myself...!

Last edited:
Soldato
I heard the wahoo new bolt and roam will get a similar screen with an update, but until it’s out it’s not clear how good it will be or how it will work.
It's had it for 3 or 4 weeks now. I've been looking forward to it for a while and really like it.
you need to tell the 530 your route to use it, you can't just divert off route and get the feature to work when you spontaneously decide to do a climb.
I did wonder about this myself, but it kind of makes sense for it to need your route. If you've not set a route, how does it know where you're going and what climb you're going up? They aren't pre-programmed climbs, they are parts of your route that match certain criteria (at least 500m at an average of 3% for example) If it doesn't have a route, how can it check it against the criteria? I think it's a whole different ask if you want them to manually add all the climbs in the world and let you know when you're on one.

Soldato
Climb Pro could coordinate with your favourite Strava live segments.

There's a few climbs I often do where I have route options from the base, usually I star the the most likely shortest option in live segments, so at least I have some sort of personal best reference most of the time.

Soldato
Finally got the radar on black Friday. Only been out for it on one ride along a mix of some country roads and regular roads...

First thoughts are; it's not revolutionary but my word is it useful. I'm an irresponsible idiot who cycles with earphones in and it was really nice being alerted well before I would normally do a check behind. Really nice being able to cycle in the middle of the road and only move over to the side when I know something is approaching.

Soldato
Yeah I've had that page open for weeks/months waiting for a 50/34 or 52/36 to go below £100 like the 54/39 occasionally is! One day my time will come! £110 and £115 are quite common prices on there.

To be honest the abuse my groupset has had the last couple of weeks/month in the filthy wet weather my plans to switch over to di2 during the Xmas break I'm considering delaying. Actually ended up with some bars with a bit of a late night minimum bid (£8!), so going to put the cockpit together as I've planned to make it detachable at the stem/headset point anyway. Original plan was to use the Xmas break for the whole thing. Can stick that on the Zwift setup to do alignment & get them comfortable ahead of time. Fitting derailleurs is quick, dropping wires through the frame is too, just the hydraulic hoses are the only bit which could take time. Fingers crossed just switch straight over to the current ones. I've not cut hoses or used olives & barbs before! :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just had an R7000 derailleur fail after just 5 months. The arm won't spring back (or if it does it's very stiff). Noticed when I pulled the bike off the trainer and the chain was super slack. Had a little play around but nothing obvious. Going to try a return to Merlin... hope they're good about it.

For now popped on an old R7000 derailleur which has some pretty rough jockey wheels.

I don't really set targets but I guess the last 4 years or so I've generally hit around ~10k miles. This year I'm at just over 8k at this point so not going to happen. I'm not too fussed. Cycling has definitely taken a back burner this year and I haven't done any week long trips which usually bump the mileage a lot. It would have been nice to have completed more longer rides though. I'd imagine my Eddington number for the year is pretty low now.

Soldato
Finally got the radar on black Friday. Only been out for it on one ride along a mix of some country roads and regular roads...

First thoughts are; it's not revolutionary but my word is it useful. I'm an irresponsible idiot who cycles with earphones in and it was really nice being alerted well before I would normally do a check behind. Really nice being able to cycle in the middle of the road and only move over to the side when I know something is approaching.

I picked up the Varia RTL515 in the sales as well. I couldn't justify it at £160 but at £100 it was worth a punt. I also picked up a 1030 Plus for £299 as well. I was using a Wahoo Element Roam and I was struggling to see bloody anything on it (old eyes). After the first ride out with the Varia I was debating if I would keep it or not but I went out tonight on some much quieter country roads and it really showed it use. Nice early notification of cars was really handy, as was showing where there was more than one tear arsing past. Cant really comment on the 1030 plus yet as I've figured out how to start and stop it, but that's about it :D. At least I can see a bit more on the screen which is a bonus.

Soldato
I've just had an R7000 derailleur fail after just 5 months. The arm won't spring back (or if it does it's very stiff). Noticed when I pulled the bike off the trainer and the chain was super slack. Had a little play around but nothing obvious. Going to try a return to Merlin... hope they're good about it.

For now popped on an old R7000 derailleur which has some pretty rough jockey wheels.

I don't really set targets but I guess the last 4 years or so I've generally hit around ~10k miles. This year I'm at just over 8k at this point so not going to happen. I'm not too fussed. Cycling has definitely taken a back burner this year and I haven't done any week long trips which usually bump the mileage a lot. It would have been nice to have completed more longer rides though. I'd imagine my Eddington number for the year is pretty low now.
Sounds like the spring has come out of the guides inside. The DA di2 one on my road bike needs resetting every month or so but it was second hand.

Soldato
Sounds like the spring has come out of the guides inside. The DA di2 one on my road bike needs resetting every month or so but it was second hand.
Not really sure. I wasn't going to take it apart much since it's under warranty (in theory)... but so far Merlin Cycles are not responding.

Soldato

Goodluck with Merlin.

Is it sprung at all, or totally dead/floppy? The springs inside can break, but usually the amount of crud inside them just generally gums/gunks them up so the spring itself is ok and it's just a seized mechanism. They come apart and quite easy to do with a hex, all Shimano are mainly the same, I've taken 5800, 6800, R8000 and 6870 apart. So 3 mechanical & 1 di2, they all looked the same and fitted the same. Unsure if the springs are exactly the same size/tension (didn't have them apart at the same times) but fundamentally the same - to take apart, clean and reassemble.

Good work on the mileage - but you always do! Even with other things on that is big mileage. I've broken my 5k miles target this year and might even reach 6k. My biggest year to date, but that includes Zwift/Virtual miles. As mebntioned before I'd be nowhere without it - distance and fitness wise! My Eddington is at 54 I'm quite surprised about! :D

Just finished a Zwift Stage race - FRR - Tour Britannia. Did 352km across 8 stages in 9 days, although I skipped 1 stage so technically did 7 stages of it, on the 'rest day' I raced ZRL. With 4359m of climbing and not including my actual commuting outside for work (very minor I know!) my legs are pretty tired. A 195 mile week is a big one for me and about double normal week mileage (with far more than double the climbing!).

It keeps popping out? The internals seem to be plastic so guess it's just worn inside. No idea if replaceable or swappable? I sprayed GT85 in the last couple I did as I recall an early one I did and put a bunch of grease in, I packed it in and it seemed to make it 'sluggish' until some had leaked/washed out. Lighter oil/chainlube in there probably better than grease.

Actually bought a Di2 6870 derailleur on the 'bay listed as broken spring and it 'weakly springing the wrong way'. Figured it had a broken spring so could salvage one from a mechanical, or get another with a broken motor/cage and salvage it. Nope, just someone had taken it apart and not tensioned the spring when putting it back together - recalled doing that myself the first few times! So perfectly working second hand di2 RD for £26 instead of near £90. Bargain! :cry:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom