Road Cycling

Soldato
On weightweenies they seem to really rate lightbicycle wheels and they seem to still make carbon wheels for rim brakes

my mate had them and was happy
light and well priced.
Zed wheels were good, and thre are some nice well priced wheels from pandmodioum.cc ?
will see them in action in girona as mate got them for his pinio. under 1300gram for 50/60 or something like that

Soldato

Had a good ride on Saturday. Left a bit late so good race down to meet point. Out on a longer club ride on a bit of a mystery route, Linda the lead saying to "the Tumble but not up it" 6 of us ended up some random back road up the 'Blorenge'. After missing the turn, then Linda getting a puncture at the base of the climb we all started it semi-cold. It should have been an Omen to turn around as it was HORRENDOUS hitting 25% very early on and steep either side of it. Random gravel and high hedgerows/trees so you couldn't see very well, or where the top was. At least it was dry. Me and another guy up front (I'd come from the rear after making sure a clubmate had clipped in as she struggles to set off uphill!) he eased after the steep - thankfully my BOLTv2 had switched to 'Climb' screen when it detects ascents and I was able to shout "another 350ft to go!" at Clive to keep him riding. Counting down the feet left to ascend was the only thing that kept us going all the way...! Closest I've come to walking for a while... :eek:

https://www.strava.com/activities/11547554866/analysis/8082/8850 - will not ever ride that again, through choice! ;)

We stopped at the 'top' for the others. Laughing about how that's the last time we "follow Linda on a mystery climb" again, only to take a right turn and hit ANOTHER climb of 750+ft (my BOLT again helping me tell the others it was a long one so to pace it). I'd soon left the others behind as somehow my legs had recovered - I was pacing it well and it was a far better climb than the first. Climbing through the trees with glimpses of radio masts and the various hills as the road snaked up through the treeline and opened onto glorious open moor with the 'main' Tumble road (we'd descend shortly) in the distance, a much more consistent and enjoyable climb than the first. https://www.strava.com/activities/11547554866/analysis/8930/9865

After a quick descent down the 'usual' way up The Tumble we stopped for a coffee/cake/bacon bap in Abergavenny. Tanya and Linda both admitting then, they where not looking forward to the hilly route home. As there was a block headwind from the North 3 of the rest of us said we'd 'chaingang' the main road back so they could have an easier ride home. My legs where superb so really it was 10+ miles of (mostly) me sat on the front trying to do as slow as 19mph (seriously the SL7 likes to ride at 21-22mph and anything lower on smooth flat roads is hard!) while trying to keep everyone on my wheel. Rode off the front too many times lol. Considering the almost constant headwind back, fairly pleased with that. Even had good legs, fatigued but not empty for some good speed even at tempo on the way back home.

Can't wait to get my power meter fitted... After missing out on a couple of 4iiii on 'bay to snipers around £230 I bit the bullet and bought a new one for around 300. Figuring it being a Precision 3+ and new gave me enough of a reason. I'd hoped to pickup a Stages for an amazing price after all the news about them, but if anything the prices have gone up! Guess that's also the sunny weather...

Looking back through emails, i bought a Garmin HRM Tri in Feb 2020 from Amazon. It failed in October 2020 and Amazon replaced it. That then failed in Feb 2022. This time i went to Garmin and they replaced it with a HRM Pro and said not to return it, and it looks like i also went via Amazon who refunded me. So it's actually cost me nothing!

Going to change the battery and see if it helps, if not then given how often it's failed, i'm not sure i want to trust Garmin again so might just go Wahoo/Magene.
Reminds me of my first 1.5-2 years of hassle with Garmin straps. Got sick of returning them/unreliable and went budget 'Wahoo TICKR Blue' option (before Wahoo really became big) just to tide me over while one was away... Ended up getting a refund on the Garmin as the Wahoo just worked. It survived 7-8 years, starting to get a bit more unreliable in the last year. I replaced it with a TICKRv2 and although I then had one fail at 1.5 years old (moisture ingress) they sent me a free replacement (arrived within 48h of reporting - insanely good support!) and that one has ben fine since Nov '23. I find it hard to recommend anything else - even with getting a failure/fault they're not that expensive considering 3 units in 11 years...

Now at home feeling sorry for myself, bandaged up and a very stiff/painful shoulder. Bike is fine I think, need to take a closer look when I'm strong enough to get it out my girlfriend's car. London to Brighton in a couple of weeks might be a bit ambitious..
Rubbish! Glad you're largely 'ok' and nothing more serious. Hope the bike isn't too bad either - hopefully at that speed end over end it just bounced...!

Tubeless sealant: What's everyones go-to? I've been using Stans but wondering if there is something better/more cost effective.
Mucoff 'Tubeless Easy'. Cheap enough in 1L bottles to keep a stock of it and all the messing around I've done with tyres the last few years. Leaves a lot less 'gunk' than Stans like I was using before. Smells nicer. Looks crazy pink. Washes off/up easier. Maybe not quite the 'fit & forget' performance I had with Stans (I've had more holes which didn't seal) but that could be my luck & tyres more than anything else. Also get it next day/weeks on Prime when cut short matters quite a bit. It seems to last longer than Stans in the winter weather too, although I'm still keeping a 6-8 month rotation/replacement policy on mine.

Sooon in the market for a decent set of wheels, but been out of the buying market for a while. I’ve just been given an 11 speed ultegra frame set (with rim brakes) which is pretty decent so keen to match it with wheels.

Appreciate it’s a bit of “how longs a piece of string” question, and I’m after all round wheels leaning towards long distances but that won’t embarrass themselves in an Ironman (certainly not as much as I will!), with a budget of around £1000.
Hunts well regarded, Scribe too - several others selling the 'chinese carbon' but branded and UK built for the backup/warranty. Think Rolf are the same? Farsports too but not UK. If not after bargain carbon, then some FFWD's or DT so you have a quality hub - as mentioned you should find lots of choice second hand with rim brake wheels. I always loved the Campagnolo Zondas but alloy...

Can't offer much advice on nice wheels for rim bikes but I would steer clear of Zipp 303s. The hubs have serious issues that myself and plenty of others have had and the warranty is tied to the complete wheel.
Define 'serious issues'??? :eek:

I've 3 Zipp wheelsets with similar hubs. 176D & 177D. Zero issues on any of them, changed bearings and freehubs a couple of times. The 30 Course are 7 & 5 years old. My 303 S are nearly 4 years old. I love them and no serious problems (other than me smashing a hole in one on a pothole!) Amazing wheels for the money. Similar weight and faster than many other wheels even twice the price. Yes warranty might be 'tied to the whole wheel' - but same is to almost any wheel easily bought retail/off the shelf so struggling to see that as a reason not to buy?!?! If you broke something wouldn't you want the whole wheel replaced? I did with one of my 30 Course after a pulled spoke. They didn't even want the freehub swapped over. Bargain!

6EdYSqZ.jpeg

New shoes! Forgot how much I missed having tan walled tyres. The regular black ones on my bike looked really boring so it's nice to have a splash of colour back on it

:eek: She is looking fantastic mate. The 404F decals really pop (far more than my 303 S as they're more a matt dark slate against black). Crazy to think the headset isn't internally routed with all that space there!?

Go SRAM so you can hide more, although saying that the front end of my Diverge looked very different even just going to di2. You have the hydraulic hoses either way, but a single di2 is easily tucked alongside one of them. At least yours being Canyon they probably do rubber grommets to cover the spare hole you'll have. Gave up trying to plug mine with something, but thankfully it doesn't whistle in the wind like some do...!

Last edited:
Soldato
Sooon in the market for a decent set of wheels, but been out of the buying market for a while. I’ve just been given an 11 speed ultegra frame set (with rim brakes) which is pretty decent so keen to match it with wheels.

Appreciate it’s a bit of “how longs a piece of string” question, and I’m after all round wheels leaning towards long distances but that won’t embarrass themselves in an Ironman (certainly not as much as I will!), with a budget of around £1000.

There’s a set of 303s on Sigma for 900£ which seems reasonable but they’re for discs.

I'd speak to David at DCR Wheels to see what he would suggest in your budget. My wheelset from him has been faultless since purchased in late 2018.

Soldato
Fortunately we're both quite boring and she hates the idea of a big diamond ring so it'll be a cheap event for me
Haha same with mine. She's never been big about jewellery & stopped wearing rings many years ago. Also she doesn't want a wedding. We've been together 15 years now so it's probably time... But both already being 'Jones' would only be for tax/insurance reasons :cry:

If my 'midlife-crisis' is me buying this SL7 then so be it. My 40th was a non-event in the middle of Covid. :rolleyes:

spot the odd one
The person on a white alloy frame in the background on rim brakes behind the guy in orange! ;)

Was mainly just a dig at someone on here with a black bike
Kinda regret being part of this now too - my only 'regret' of the SL7 - as all the way through my 'cycling career' I've liked and ridden loud & bright decals/frames :(

I'd speak to David at DCR Wheels to see what he would suggest in your budget. My wheelset from him has been faultless since purchased in late 2018.
Can easily recommend him - a while back I went through over a year discussing wheel/hub options and although never got around to getting a quote together, he was helpful and always happy to reply with lots of information to emails.

Last edited:
Soldato
:eek: She is looking fantastic mate. The 404F decals really pop (far more than my 303 S as they're more a matt dark slate against black). Crazy to think the headset isn't internally routed with all that space there!?

Go SRAM so you can hide more, although saying that the front end of my Diverge looked very different even just going to di2. You have the hydraulic hoses either way, but a single di2 is easily tucked alongside one of them. At least yours being Canyon they probably do rubber grommets to cover the spare hole you'll have. Gave up trying to plug mine with something, but thankfully it doesn't whistle in the wind like some do...!

Thanks man! I do actually wish the decals popped a bit more in real life. I wouldn't have been angry if they were in white but I do still love them! My luck being 2 years later the front of the ultimate was fully integrated!

I did think about going SRAM but I'm someone who doesn't deal well with change and I also don't like the big chunky batteries even though I appreciate they're probably more user friendly when it comes to charging up/when you forget to charge.

There was someone on Etsy selling some holographic Canyon Decals that I was tempted to put on my bike but I never got around to doing it. Should make it a little less bland.

Funnily enough the SL8 frameset I like could almost pass for black under some lights but then also green/purple under others!

fez

fez

Caporegime
Define 'serious issues'??? :eek:

I've 3 Zipp wheelsets with similar hubs. 176D & 177D. Zero issues on any of them, changed bearings and freehubs a couple of times. The 30 Course are 7 & 5 years old. My 303 S are nearly 4 years old. I love them and no serious problems (other than me smashing a hole in one on a pothole!) Amazing wheels for the money. Similar weight and faster than many other wheels even twice the price. Yes warranty might be 'tied to the whole wheel' - but same is to almost any wheel easily bought retail/off the shelf so struggling to see that as a reason not to buy?!?! If you broke something wouldn't you want the whole wheel replaced? I did with one of my 30 Course after a pulled spoke. They didn't even want the freehub swapped over. Bargain!

Myself (and seemingly a fair few others online) have had serious issues with the hub bearings and general hub seals. Mine were toast after 13 months use, 99% of that in the dry with the most water they ever saw being standing water on the road and the occasional clean with a low pressure hose. The bearing had failed so badly it had seized on the axle and both had to be replaced. Zipp didn't want to know because as far as they were concerned, bearings are a consumable (despite the low use of ~1500km) and their explanation of the poor quality seals? Race wheels so less sealing for faster running. Utter rubbish as the hubs are quite draggy compared to all of the other hubs I own. Perhaps I just got a lemon but I certainly won't be buying another set again.

I've heard their warranty is good when it comes to broken wheels but poor performance/design issues? Nope. They are going on a gravel bike I am building up and I will hopefully break them and get a replacement pair that doesn't have the same issues!

Soldato
Ok, ordered some more Lakes. Hoping they fit or i'm giving up! Gone for the CX201 which look perfect and are a new last called "Comfort Plus", seem to be a really wide toe box which should be awesome. They're a mesh front too so should be nice and cool.

Backup being the CX242 for the extra Boa

Soldato
Thanks man! I do actually wish the decals popped a bit more in real life. I wouldn't have been angry if they were in white but I do still love them! My luck being 2 years later the front of the ultimate was fully integrated!

I did think about going SRAM but I'm someone who doesn't deal well with change and I also don't like the big chunky batteries even though I appreciate they're probably more user friendly when it comes to charging up/when you forget to charge.

There was someone on Etsy selling some holographic Canyon Decals that I was tempted to put on my bike but I never got around to doing it. Should make it a little less bland.

Funnily enough the SL8 frameset I like could almost pass for black under some lights but then also green/purple under others!
Yeah I like the 'changeable' / easily portable idea of SRAM. For someone that rides Di2 I've actually only got caught out once with it and that was all my own doing for not sensibly checking the battery (new head unit & bike not paired to it). If anything I'd look at making a more portable version of the di2 charger/cable as it easily charges quickly from a battery pack, just has ridiculously long cables for convenience so not that portable to carry on a multi-day adventure/holiday. I don't know how long SRAM batteries last. I'll happily run my 'daily' Di2 (old style) down to 10% charge and ride it all week (2-3 hours) commuting before plugging it in.

Wheel decals are an easy thing, I know certainly for Zipp they're very easy to get hold of in loads of different (aftermarket) colours. Probably the same for Enve (Pogi's pink for example). I know @randomshenans (how you doing mate, long time since we saw you in here!) stuck some on his Zipps. No idea how well they last, I imagine there's different qualities depending where you get them from.

Some of the paints used on modern frames is amazing. But can almost be bespoke so you struggle to match it with anything else! I've gone through 3 different shades of nailvarnish to match mine and it's still not that close. Ok for small touch ups in hidden areas only :rolleyes:

Myself (and seemingly a fair few others online) have had serious issues with the hub bearings and general hub seals. Mine were toast after 13 months use, 99% of that in the dry with the most water they ever saw being standing water on the road and the occasional clean with a low pressure hose. The bearing had failed so badly it had seized on the axle and both had to be replaced. Zipp didn't want to know because as far as they were concerned, bearings are a consumable (despite the low use of ~1500km) and their explanation of the poor quality seals? Race wheels so less sealing for faster running. Utter rubbish as the hubs are quite draggy compared to all of the other hubs I own. Perhaps I just got a lemon but I certainly won't be buying another set again.

I've heard their warranty is good when it comes to broken wheels but poor performance/design issues? Nope. They are going on a gravel bike I am building up and I will hopefully break them and get a replacement pair that doesn't have the same issues!

Ahh ok, thanks for explaining where you where coming from! :)

'Average' bearings on a good wheelset at a very competitive price I wouldn't call a 'serious issue'. Yes, they could be better, but certainly for a 'retail' type off the shelf wheelset running with their own branded hubs (I'm including Firecrest 'race' wheels in this broad category!) with cartridge bearings you'll find it common practice across much of the industry... They're almost made for 'good weather' with not much consideration of the bad.

Yes that's not the best for the UK and the sealing could be better - but equally it is exactly the same 'sealing' as almost any other wheelset with changeable 'push-in' endcaps which most of them seem to use these days. It's almost a design fault. Bearings ARE a consumable and running 'race' wheels in all weathers (some water) without doing some preventative maintenance will lead to issues. Zipp also do the same as others - they use very low drag bearings (non-contact seals) and assemble them with barely any grease. You'll barely get a smudge on your finger if you pull an endcap off and rub the bearing seal. So when there's water around (even cleaning your bike!) it easily gets into the bearing - there is hardly any barrier to stop it.

If that's a serious design flaw then take it up with the industry as it's not a Zipp/SRAM things. Roval/Specialized, DT Swiss, Mavic, Knot/Cannondale, Giant, Bontrager/Trek and many others do it - using cheap cartridge bearings with barely any grease behind a push in endcap on a wheelset. Nearly any bike shop doing maintenance or a wheelbuilder will grease things more and look to protect those bearings - do it yourself! The endcaps pulling off easily (especially on my Zipp...) make it part of my 'home maintanance' jobs done every few months...

So (as everyone loves an opinion from me!) I'd say if you're riding Zipps all weathers (like I always have) and want to maintain them yourself - when the time comes replace the bearings with some half/full contact sealed and coat the seals behind the endcap with a good layer of 'waterproof' grease to prolong them (I like Morgan blue 'aquaproof' but it is quite draggy so only use it for sealing my winter wheels, so I use a Finishline on my summer wheels and internally in hubs/bb's). It really is a marginal rotational difference when fitting premium bearings to them (hint NTN/SKF) and you'll get massively longer life. Interestingly Zipp don't consider replacing bearings in their freehubs as maintenance, they say to replace the whole freehub. Stupid and wasteful! I've always changed the bearings in them with no issues! ;)

I am this > < close to putting you on my mute list!

At least it doesn't look *that* sunny and warm... ;)

I've got this coming up on Sunday, need to decide if I'm actually doing it or not... Going to decide Thursday as may need to ride out to the start (+24 miles) :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know how long SRAM batteries last. I'll happily run my 'daily' Di2 (old style) down to 10% charge and ride it all week (2-3 hours) commuting before plugging it in.

I generally never remember how often i charge my batteries, but i guess that suggests they last a long time. Sram suggest around 60hrs and i definitely don't think that's too surprising based on my use.

What's decent is they're interchangeable, so if the read ever does die, you can use the front one to the back which should still have plenty juice considering how rarely it's used vs the rear.

Soldato
Also, never knew that i could Broadcast the HR from my Fenix watch to my Edge.

Had ordered a Magene HR strap from Amazon as nowhere local stocks the Wahoo annoyingly without charging €10 for postage!. Now unsure whether to use that (i know a strap is usually more accurate and easy). However not having to mess around with something else does appeal

Soldato
At least it doesn't look *that* sunny and warm... ;)
The weather forecast here seems a little pointless. Today and yesterday the forecast was pretty drearly looking... the day starts, not giving any clue, so we head out with all gear... and then by 11am, the sun is out and we're running out of pockets to put the extra clothing into!

I am this > < close to putting you on my mute list!
Erm.... look away now! (I'll use spoiler tags :p)
AP1GczPBvexQQMGdYh14GOP0zpjXbno6CZZBTZrQcVmGzx-XTEUNqo6c9EE0oGd0JB3jvQdrF1arbq1sVW5gt6-6TycFfB_tY8XmWBMJrzoEfaT57OdGHOWNshYwdMTMT7y5qF09MMde7Sc3u-9CztDZZXomNB12G-apy4qq95rkQCL4FHCpkAOk5IdLUGbSCop2-G_LQduokCOJhhjCtIB2hKaGrxE32Xtuz3RTLNmlYBBgyfi5ARKDoeYovgMw93r9lH5gnL5xb5nzuHeLeEL_Sq8VQPhaP74Zd9Pv-FLjxMgB7EdoZYKY4ZGehOZVf4nTEqt319yiPsXRQc9COH6aEGQkGs5NKc_Q125wcbZ-PBzZESezSNqYRTYm8og3bQRX87NOY6HrJ-WR6u8ifFSGT8-PQz9GBHC13pAKLnjR8tbHeikPivMIoD6WWphH79Biqil146S7MhNKq84EF0zccMqQ4runpnzG_zz7fB5rot2H9EvCKruMvanmMBcxBB5st29Ltb8qfftQS9ID3-aSlFuCNk-HH55lWFShpupRrWXM6uBHUUtFrxzsd8ZJYpUXNh4kxi2wz8XwBftPlYSBLqtwsZT1LdxSJzuXa7e7yceZcrrAtoVUll_gYdLpaxy9-_c2V6kUCTphMbWyEE0Aknc4J1-w9oc5YPoEHAPluhyWUvp4uYAJQVIq7XigYQKc4JPBeczLUBM5EoRfuDpi-snVpIOSPy7uffN01ZbpfGsafYokY1gZ5ZXLabc0c3xSYy12Jdfat_EF8aDg_FcNrG1vzArerARlKX2PSUY7k8qbokMny-y9ytTh07nRVFensJx4ezzf0Lo4eKgcfGnMClMfxkBKs94odoySgkW4tuir35uxy1mZ3gbAhnDDMpTD6m3d10dJt8NUe3AMl_O_3E4u8Pix=w1553-h2063-s-no-gm

fez

fez

Caporegime
Ahh ok, thanks for explaining where you where coming from! :)

Snip to avoid copying your whole reply. I understand that you need to keep on top of these things but I haven't had any other hubs/bearings suffer these issues. I have a set of DT swiss 240s on a set of MTB wheels that spin much more freely and haven't suffered from a few years of proper MTB abuse. Soaking wet, washing after every ride, ridden in awful conditions. I used the utter crap wheels that came with the TCR for months and they are fine as well.

There is light sealing and there is bad sealing and my Zipps almost certainly fall into the awful. I can't believe that everyone has this issue either as I am pretty fastidious with my bike maintenance which is why I was so shocked at how quickly these had failed. I assume that I have received a bit of a duff set because there is no way that this is normal or everyone would be complaining. The average rider barely looks at their bike until it starts screaming at them for some reason.

At any rate, they are going on a new specialized crux I have just ordered so they will be getting wetter than ever unfortunately. As you say, I will have to keep a real close eye on them to make sure they don't suffer the same fate again. :p

Soldato
Haha yeah, that's gonna be tough to spend the day cycling around!

Managed to get up early this morning. Had intended to do it yesterday but the cat was being annoying and didn't come back till 1am and my wife doesn't like leaving a window open for him (cat flap soon!). So decided getting up at 6am wasn't fun. Was nice to not be limited to lunch time rides, although i did feel a bit achey and slow. Hopefully if i can get into it regularly i can start to adjust to it. I remember being similar with running where it took a few weeks for my body to be happy waking up and immediately doing stuff.

Was bloody cold though before the sun popped up from behind the mountains. Might need a base layer for next time. Nice to then get home and jump in the pool and generally walk around the pool stretching with a coffee in hand. I don't get time for that at lunch :D

Soldato
There is something really nice about doing a ride first thing in the morning. I should've done an endurance ride this morning but last week has knocked me out of routine. Will try and do a nice endurance ride outdoors before work tomorrow.

Funny how having kids changes things. My friend who I ride with has 2. He used to ask if I wanted to go out for a ride at 8am and I used to feel offended when he'd ask that. Now if we can get out at 7/7:30am it feels like a massive bonus.

Back
Top Bottom