Road Cycling

Soldato
To cheer you all up, after the rain and wind yesterday it's now sunny and blue skies (albeit only 12c)

I think that's one of the nicest things. It can rain for a day and you don't care as you know it's only a blip rather than being set in for life.

Not sure if any of you have been watching (@Junglist i assume you have) the Cade Media bikepacking trip to Malaysia, but watching yesterdays episode and how much they struggled in the heat does make me concerned about summer!

Soldato
theres always social cycle groups and seems like you have options in Bristol
I've looked at them near where I live but riding 10-20miles to a pub /cafe or super expensive farmshop doesn't really appeal to me.

apart from introducing yourself you can probably get away with being quiet I'd imagine, its probably a small section of the group that do all the talking at any rest stop
Good pointers. Being social is a good part of cycling with a group, but don't feel like you have to. We've all been there when you have 'new guy' along who is pretty quiet. But don't expect some people to not want to chat to you! It's good to be around people with the same interests so generally everyone wants to get to know anyone new - even more so if they've got a nice bike/riding well/cool kit/something different! :D

@Junglist where abouts in Bristol are you? Which 'side' etc?

@Junglist a good bunch of cyclists will wait for you and not moan ;)
Remember, you can only get faster cycling with faster bunch :)
Yeah definately, also one good thing with quite a 'mixed' social group you can ride it different ways on how you're feeling (even to how much you wanna talk) - chat in the bunch, doing semi intervals at the back to close gaps/pace others, sit on the front dragging everyone around. I'll generally do a mixture of everything, on how my legs are feeling, what roads we're on, but also how cold it is - I'm generally well wrapped (commuting habits) so generally ride harder while things are colder to stay warm! If it's wet/dirty I'm more likely to be on the front as I've got good guards and others don't... Etc! ;)

Thanks. Yes. No. :cool:

Up to 40 miles, no. Between 40 and about 55, one stop. Usually it is then a 100km/62mil ride and I'd probably stop twice. When we get to 90 and 100 miles it's probably 3 stops. Kind of take the miles, divide by 30 and round down. For me, psychologically it's quite important to have a break ever couple of hours.
Quick & concise answers. Like it! :D

Yeah I get the stopping side of things, certainly if you're riding regularly over 3 or 4 hours it should be a 'thing' as you'll be missing a mealtime. But I also get if you're going out for a 'social' generally in a morning slot with a plan to be home at lunchtime (like mine) then get why riders also skip them... I'd love to have the time to have a 5-6 hour ride with a stop more regularly! :)

I'm not convinced any of these are really real arguments and not grasping at straws.

I could counter them all but seems like nit-picking or personal opinion.
See I get where you're coming from. I could totally could go back to riding mechanical without an issue, it works well. But riding di2 to me is progress. Just like riding clipless pedals, hookless rims, tubeless tyres, wide carbon rims, disc brakes, hydraulic disc brakes, more than 6 gears, wider tyres, carbon frames, aero kit, STI indexed shifters, helmets, lycra rather than wool, the safety bicycle itself! ;)

The 'bike industry' will always push new technologies they can sell new things for. Most of it is progress. You don't have to keep up, but most of the time you are 'forced' to. We'll shortly be at the point where rim brake wheelsets are harder and harder to get hold of, soon after that electronic shifting will be 'normal' even on midrange bikes so frames compatible with mechanical and the components will begin getting harder and harder to source at the top end. Even now there are frames made 'electronic only'. Sales will always drive inventory and supply. Like 1080p monitors now 24" being the 'preferred' - a 22" costs the same, maybe a fraction less. A 19" costs more! :o

Last edited:
Soldato
@Roady - I'm in BS16 (Fishponds if you're familiar with the area). About 5 minutes from the Bristol - Bath cycle path.

I have someone on my road who does Audax rides for fun. I keep saying I'll join him for a ride when I feel like I can do 160km without worrying too much! Planning a solo 100km ride in a few weeks when the weather picks up.

Soldato
@Roady - I'm in BS16 (Fishponds if you're familiar with the area). About 5 minutes from the Bristol - Bath cycle path.

I have someone on my road who does Audax rides for fun. I keep saying I'll join him for a ride when I feel like I can do 160km without worrying too much! Planning a solo 100km ride in a few weeks when the weather picks up.

This is my next big step i think.

My plan for easter is to try and hit all 4 days for 1.5-2hrs rather than aiming for one big ride and then suffering the next day. Although hoping the wind dies down. Just been out and the wind was brutal. When you're going downhil and it's a struggle you know it's an issue :(

Soldato
I've only done 2 100km+ rides. One with friends which one suffered quite a bit on so the pace was fairly slow. The other was on Zwift.

I'm more worried about not getting too excited and just pacing myself more than anything.

Caporegime
fter that electronic shifting will be 'normal' even on midrange bikes so frames compatible with mechanical and the components will begin getting harder and harder to source at the top end. Even now there are frames made 'electronic only'
I'm not convinced frames that aren't compatible with mechanical will be a thing.
Derailleurs are always going to need a hanger like UDH or whatever standard, and the SRAM groupset I looked at just needed a UDH hanger which is pretty common on any modern bike.

Gotta wonder if electronic gears will ever be cheap enough for the masses, they can't even be that complicated. whats inside a servo, battery and tiny electronic controller

Last edited:
Associate
If anyone is interested, i'm going to be riding this route on 2nd June if you want to join? https://ridewithgps.com/routes/2072981

Treating it like a very specific training day, before my event starts on 22nd June.

For fundraising, i'm asking people if they are joining to try and get some sponsorship themselves, which I can count towards my total, via their work etc.

All ends up going to the same cause, just helps me out with my target.

Soldato
If anyone is interested, i'm going to be riding this route on 2nd June if you want to join? https://ridewithgps.com/routes/2072981

Treating it like a very specific training day, before my event starts on 22nd June.

For fundraising, i'm asking people if they are joining to try and get some sponsorship themselves, which I can count towards my total, via their work etc.

All ends up going to the same cause, just helps me out with my target.
Did that in 2014 just over a month before the tour. It rained all day..... Don't underestimate the climbing required. Hell of a day.

Soldato
There's no such thing. It's either a headwind or you're having a good day!

So I got my whoop the other day. I can see why people say they get anxiety with it! My HRV is 49 which makes it look like I have the heart health of someone in their 50s lol.

Also, I can just tell tonight is going to be a bad nights sleep with our daughter. That'll be fun to review in the morning. Was quite impressed how it detected both my start and end of my time on the turbo this morning

Soldato
My HRV is 49 which makes it look like I have the heart health of someone in their 50s
Hmm, how have you interpreted it like that? For one thing, I don't believe you can take a one-day HRV rating to suggest how fit you are, it doesn't really work like that. You wear it for time and build some history, giving you a baseline. Then you know when it's higher than normal and lower than normal. You can't tell that without knowing what your normal is. My average last month was 70, but the last few days I've been above 80, so I should be ready for these lumpy Devon rides I'm about to try!

Soldato
@AndyCr15 - ah, I’ll see what it’s like in a few weeks. It’s only day 2 but I quite like it already.

Though last night my HRV was 46 lol. I expect waking up at nighttime isn’t doing me any favours. I had <2 hours of REM and Deep sleep combined. Oh dear.

Soldato
@AndyCr15 - ah, I’ll see what it’s like in a few weeks. It’s only day 2 but I quite like it already.

Though last night my HRV was 46 lol. I expect waking up at nighttime isn’t doing me any favours. I had <2 hours of REM and Deep sleep combined. Oh dear.

I wouldn't look too closely into the rem/deep/light sleep patterns from a watch. HRV is very personal so look at it relative to your own history.

Back
Top Bottom