Road Cycling

Soldato
Rode the Tarmac to work as a bit of a shakedown ride. Got a jangle noise somewhere at the rear, guess it's the cassette needs a tighten. Bars far too low for the longer club ride I've got planned tomorrow and rear brake a bit spongy. But so far so good... It feels fast considering how steady I was going! It's going to be weird not riding with a powermeter but will soon rectify that when I can nab one for the right price after next pay day... (SH Stages/4iiii crank)

Sounds like she makes about what she would make from a job if she spends that much time on socials to win those competitions and then you could spend that money on whatever you want! :p . She needs to reach out to Skratch and hook us all up!

Would be interesting to see how much more time women spend on social media than men. My partner is on mat leave at the moment and I reckon she spends about 6+ hours a day in some way on social media. Some of it is useful, a lot of it is just doom scrolling.
Oh she almost certainly does spend a lot more time online than me... Even before this! I'd rather be on my bike, or gaming (but don't really get any time for that anymore), I'm more practical task/job/chore driven. Target+reward. I don't mind, gives her something to do. She drives herself mad to keep busy as has always been a hard worker & quite driven/organised (one of the appeals for me was how determined and independent she is!), so when she dropped to half a week when she changed jobs (it made things loads easier with kids+holidays+ageing parents/grand-parents etc) without some 'void filling' downtime she'd be worn out or very bored. She doesn't really have any other hobbies so the dog has always been a 'mummys boy' and barely listens to me! Same with the^child!

For me its not the extra 20% I am after, its just the recovery. If I don't fuel enough on my rides I feel it for days longer than I should. That being said, I doubt the branded ones would make that much difference over my homemade one.
Pretty much it. People pay for convenience. I get it. But they'll also pay for over the odds massively for it without realising - or even caring! Might be my welsh roots, but I can't justify spending £2 per energy bar to go out riding.

a lot of those comments are probably PR bots working for advertising agencies and people given it for free
Pretty much it. We got so many kids toys (proper branded stuff - like most of the big Lego Harry Potter Hogwarts castle sets) from her being in the right 'groups' for it. Then you commit to photos, videos and positive reviews on things and they just send you stuff... She mostly did it for kids toys.

Current one is an 'Influenster' app where you review products you do normally buy. Then very occasionally there's a massive giveaway of limited number/time. You've literally seconds to grab something, but it'll be occasionally top notch branded electronics stuff (Apple ipods, Beats headphones etc - although they go almost instantly so not got any yet). But usually womens beauty products or house cleaning stuff is what she watches out for, although did get a £110 bottle of perfume last week and a set of the newish Sennheiser Momentum 4 a month ago (they're great!). We had a set of family VIP tickets for Crufts so went and got wined+dined there...

Last autumn got discounted railcards and a stay in a 4* hotel next to the ExCel we used alongside tickets for Harry Potter World in Watford... Combined with the free food vouchers and gift cards for 'Biscuit' (an app to track dog walks) a weekend away in London cost us less than £100. We had 2 free weekend stays last year... Admittedly one was a Premier Inn, but used it to stay overnight and have a complete day at Legoland the next day rather than a very early start/late finish (3-3.5 hour drive each way for us!). But most of it is small stuff... A free tap. A gift box of Maryland cookies. Heart radio hoodies. Dog food. Buying stuff on 'Shopmium' and 'Checkout Smart' which is free so you get cashback. Actually had one there recently with Bottles of Tango and Pepsi when the cashback was £3 and she was finding them for £1.30 & £1.60. So being able to do 2-3 a day for several days actually making money buying products...!

Like the 'Vodafone rewards' they do a 'Feelgood Friday' which is regularly a couple of quid to buy something from a supermarket. But it will go through as a gift card so you can actually buy anything... She just spent £8 in Aldi on ice creams and BBQ stuff for the weekend as had 4x£2 from us and work colleagues - 2 boxes of 4 magnums, 2x 4 pack kitkats, some Richmond meat free burgers, some pasta thing and sauces. What cost of living crisis?! :cry:

I dunno, I just think there are a lot of American cyclists who have a lot of money. Things are a little cheaper over there for some products as well. I'm always amazed at what some of the youtubers over there have when it comes to home workshops etc and they have bang average jobs. Like, newish pickup truck, fancy racks, 3 top of the range bikes, fully kitted out bike workshops etc.
I think Americans are just used to spending money. More about their lifestyles and way they'll do things, but they do get some things much cheaper. I've a friend I Zwift with from Idaho, he's recently partnered with others and opened a bike shop. Even without the trade prices much of his branded stuff is a bit cheaper than ours. Although my SL7 Tarmac would have actually been more expensive (weirdly) but things like SRAM groupset components are loads cheaper than Europe. Cheap enough that buying most of a groupset you'd cover the cost of a flight...!

Old with new
Same! BOLTv2 - ELEMNTv1
4oZSzqS.jpeg

Funny how they don't agree on temperature or orientation. The BOLT is correct.

Just poor people. Just have a peanut butter and jam sandwich and a banana.
Yup us poor Boomers/OAP's don't have the disposable income of you young whippersnappers! :D

Or we old enough now to be fuelled traditionally/differently with fossil fuels none of these modern things.

Same, annoyingly stuff is never cheap over here, and SIS stuff is the RRP of ~€8 a tube. I got my parents to stock up on the cheap Amazon ones when they drove back to the UK in March :D

Brilliant for hangovers or pretty much any lethargy i find.
Amazon could be a good way to get things to you? Barocca probably cheaper than SiS for hangovers ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm after some bike upgrade advice. My relationship with cycling has been pretty hit and miss (partly because I also run, and last year was marathon training year) since getting into it about 5 years ago, but I've been doing plenty this year, and have the money to spare at present.

So far, I've been riding on a Triban RC500 (Sora groupset, mechanical disc brakes, alloy frame, heavy but comfy). It does the job and has been pretty much flawless with over 5000km on the clock now, but I'm after something a bit more exciting.

My understanding is that the Triban is very much on the "relaxed" end of being an endurance bike. I'm probably still after an endurance bike rather than anything too racy, as I'd rather have the comfort than the extra pace, but I'd be looking for something slightly more aggressive than the Triban.

My budget is probably about £2k, ideally a bit less (unless I can persuade work to increase their ridiculously low limit on cycle to work). I'm after a minimum of a 105 groupset (Di2 would be nice but not essential), hydraulic discs, and otherwise as much fun as is available without sacrificing too much comfort. I think I lean towards an alloy frame, largely because to my limited understanding carbon is (a) more fragile and (b) less forgiving, but if you can convince me that I'm wrong then I'm open to carbon. I'm probably a bit heavier than the usual cyclist, at around 84kg if that makes any difference.

I've been looking at:
- Cannondale Synapse 1 (AL)
- Canyon Endurace (which I like the look of, but don't like the fact that they're not availalble in shops to try)
- Scott Addict 30

But I'm very, very open to suggestions! Thanks!

Soldato
I'm after some bike upgrade advice. My relationship with cycling has been pretty hit and miss (partly because I also run, and last year was marathon training year) since getting into it about 5 years ago, but I've been doing plenty this year, and have the money to spare at present.

So far, I've been riding on a Triban RC500 (Sora groupset, mechanical disc brakes, alloy frame, heavy but comfy). It does the job and has been pretty much flawless with over 5000km on the clock now, but I'm after something a bit more exciting.

My understanding is that the Triban is very much on the "relaxed" end of being an endurance bike. I'm probably still after an endurance bike rather than anything too racy, as I'd rather have the comfort than the extra pace, but I'd be looking for something slightly more aggressive than the Triban.

My budget is probably about £2k, ideally a bit less (unless I can persuade work to increase their ridiculously low limit on cycle to work). I'm after a minimum of a 105 groupset (Di2 would be nice but not essential), hydraulic discs, and otherwise as much fun as is available without sacrificing too much comfort. I think I lean towards an alloy frame, largely because to my limited understanding carbon is (a) more fragile and (b) less forgiving, but if you can convince me that I'm wrong then I'm open to carbon. I'm probably a bit heavier than the usual cyclist, at around 84kg if that makes any difference.

I've been looking at:
- Canyon Endurace (which I like the look of, but don't like the fact that they're not availalble in shops to try)
- Scott Addict 30

Something from Lapierre might also suit you. They are owned by Raleigh now, but Lapierre still do their own carbon layups. A lot of these could be in budget. For me, I would always spend (invest) £2k on a frame, than a bike, as the rest is eventually all easily swapable

Soldato
Rode the Tarmac to work as a bit of a shakedown ride. Got a jangle noise somewhere at the rear, guess it's the cassette needs a tighten. Bars far too low for the longer club ride I've got planned tomorrow and rear brake a bit spongy. But so far so good... It feels fast considering how steady I was going! It's going to be weird not riding with a powermeter but will soon rectify that when I can nab one for the right price after next pay day... (SH Stages/4iiii crank)

FYI, i think Stages are going bust from what i read/heard. Not that it matters if going second hand though.

Soldato
I've been looking at:
- Scott Addict 30

How about this Van Rysel?

Endurance Frame, 105 12sp, Carbon Frame, £2000.

Last edited:
Soldato
With that budget for a named brand you can throw your leg over almost anywhere I'd probably be looking at Trek Emonda or Giant TCR/Contend/Defy, but I'd also be going Carbon. Alloy is harsher than carbon to ride, although a carbon bike is usually stiffer to ride, it is stiff in the right places and more forgiving in others so can be more comfortable...!

Synapse is a good shout, as is the Emonda/Domane - they have the tidy front end and internal cable routing - so you can upgrade things as and when you want in the future.

But really that budget, I'd be looking Second Hand or looking around trade ins from LBS. There should be deals to be had!

Last edited:
Soldato
FYI, i think Stages are going bust from what i read/heard. Not that it matters if going second hand though.
Yup aware, it hasn't done much to the SH value of them and really I'm looking at spending £150-180 on one so not too worried about Warranty...!

I've bought SH 4iiii and Stages before. Current Stages from someone on here, the 4iiii died but only after 4-5 years of abuse in all weathers.

Associate

I've been looking at:
- Scott Addict 30

I got a canyon endurace at the end of last year. Really happy with it, feels very fast and smooth. Position felt aggressive at first, but it is my first road bike.

If you are near box hill there is:
They offer canyon bike rental - endurace and ultimate. You get a voucher that gives free delivery if you order a bike from canyon in the next 3-6 months or something. If you email you could try both endurace and ultimate in the same afternoon if they are available.

The endurance bikes are fast and I would say that if you want long rides and aren’t looking to take strava KOMs, then endurance is all you need. I weight 78/9kg. Most carbon bikes are fine for 90-100kg rider weights and more.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks everyone! Really helpful!

My main takeaway is that you're basically all recommending going carbon?

The Van Rysel looks good, and as you say a lot of bike for the money, so I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Out of interest, if I were to up the budget to the 2.5 and 3k price points, how different would your recommendations be?

Soldato
Riding out in Essex tomorrow as got to get from my hotel to my brothers after a wedding later today, forget how ridiculously flat it is round here! anyone near Harlow fancy taking a potentially very hungover bod to Braintree?

Soldato
Thanks everyone! Busy couple of weekends coming up but I'm going to get myself off round some bike shops in early June (although may be less motivated if we've gone back to permarain)

Soldato
Why, thank you for noticing *blush*

Tbh, the frame is probably smaller than most would recommend for me. It's comfortable though.

What size did you go for? When I went to the shop he took one look at me and said 54 with a longer stem. I was sure I would’ve been a 56 but it makes sense (I think) as my Medium Canyon feels ever so slightly too long.

5’11/180cm though so I think a bit smaller than you

Back
Top Bottom