Robert Jordan’s fantasy epic The Wheel of Time coming to TV

Soldato
Looks great - seems as if they've put a massive amount of emphasis on the Aes Sedai and female characters over the three boys, which should make for an excellent take on it.

Can't wait!

Soldato
Oh dear, looks both expensively made and yet cheap. Ignoring the casting being ****, all the snippets from the showrunner and interviews with cast/crew that are coming out I fear the show direction will also be **** and pay little respect to what Jordan wrote.

Soldato
I read all of the books when Sanderson finished the series off and have stayed away from them on purpose because I don't want to compare the two, it's a sure fire way to not enjoy the TV show. So I am very much looking forward to the show, it looks really epic and epic has been missing from my life since Game of Thrones finished.

Soldato
Oh dear, looks both expensively made and yet cheap. Ignoring the casting being ****, all the snippets from the showrunner and interviews with cast/crew that are coming out I fear the show direction will also be **** and pay little respect to what Jordan wrote.

At least you're going into it with an open mind :cry:

Why is the casting bad?

Associate
I'm more optimistic after seeing that trailer! All adaptions need, erm, adapting and if there's one series of books that could probably do with some pruning and fine tuning it's this one. Hope it goes well and paves the way for more series like it.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Wow,

I couldn't face the books so did the audiobooks instead, highly recommend them btw.

However as for the story OMG it's so so boring. 4 books tops not the 12 or 13 I think it ended up being.

Soldato
Looks great - seems as if they've put a massive amount of emphasis on the Aes Sedai and female characters over the three boys, which should make for an excellent take on it.

Can't wait!

This is areal turn off for me. The books are great (mints the tedious middle four or five) with no need to change the main characters or plot. From the trailer it looks like a standard plastic, woke fantasy translation.

Permabanned
Unsure which bits are woke......:rolleyes:

looks ok, have read the books several times. My only issue with these things is they ruin the books for me. Like LOTR, love the films but aragorn is forever Vigo mortensen and frodo is Elijah wood now :cry:

Soldato
This is areal turn off for me. The books are great (mints the tedious middle four or five) with no need to change the main characters or plot. From the trailer it looks like a standard plastic, woke fantasy translation.

I imagine they've gone down this route in the first season to differentiate the show from the new LOTR series. I'd expect the next season to be a bit more balanced in terms of character arcs.

For instance, whilst Mat is one of, if not the, best character in the series, he's a bit rubbish in the first couple of books.

Soldato
I imagine they've gone down this route in the first season to differentiate the show from the new LOTR series. I'd expect the next season to be a bit more balanced in terms of character arcs.

I hope so. I really enjoyed the first four or five WoT books along the Brandon Sanderson finales. Although the books are long, they should translate well to the screen hence the fear when I see “Based on”.

Soldato
Why is the casting bad?
The actor playing Rand is not tall enough, Rosamund Pike would be a better Morgase not Moiraine, the actor playing Mat looks like a recovering meth addict. Perrin doesn't look like someone that's ever seen a blacksmithing hammer. The cast that's playing the female leads are all wrong, the less said about the actors they have cast to play Min and Siuan the better, just bloody awful. If the showrunners can't adhere to the little things then what's to stop them from changing major plot points? I can't see them having a bunch of women kneel to a male character (Dumai's Wells), even tho that's a major plot point in the dragon reborn prophesy...

As a comparison, look at how GoT treated the story, characters and yes, ethnicity of the world at the start. There's absolutely no need to force diversity into the Wheel of Time, it's already baked into the story.

Going back to the trailer, no mention of Lews Theron, no mention of the dragon reborn. I have to wonder if 'based on' just means they will choose to follow the story of Egwene, Nynaeve, Moiraine, Min and Aviendha (wonder what they'll cast for that role should it not be cancelled before then).You can almost guarantee it won't be a natural redhead

Soldato
It is obvious they have forced diversity into Emonds Field because whilst the book plainly has geographic ethnic groupings. Following the books would end up with a NW Europe like majority for Andor and hence the core cast.
One assumes the whole concept of geographic ethnic groupings in the show will get thrown into a muddle because if you don't have ethnic boundaries in Emonds Field why would they be anywhere? It will be a fudge because failing to bow to identity politics is picking a fight you don't want.

It's not my biggest concern though, I felt the books had a hideous battle of the sexes thing going on which threatened to derail my enjoyment. Polish that turd for the modern generation and it would be unwatchable. Hopefully the show runners ditch that aspect entirely. The core story is strong and that needs to be the focus.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've never got the obsession with height, it's such an irrelevance. Has anyone's enjoyment of an adaptation seriously been ruined because someone is too tall or too short?

Back
Top Bottom