Robert Jordan’s fantasy epic The Wheel of Time coming to TV

Soldato
I've never got the obsession with height, it's such an irrelevance. Has anyone's enjoyment of an adaptation seriously been ruined because someone is too tall or too short?

Rand's height, red hair and build set him apart from everyone else, before he knows his mother was Aiel it's often remarked upon how much he looks 'foreign'. From memory (it's been a very long time since I've read eye of the world), after he falls down into the place gardens in Caemyln and Elanye bandages his
head the palace guard are wary of him when he is brought before Morgase purely because of this.

Then again, when the showrunners are screwing around with the geographical ethnicity of the series why would key plot points like this matter eh

Soldato
Except in the case of Rand he is set apart by his ethnicity it’s a major plot point in the first few novels. Having him look noticeably different makes him Other but only if there is ethnic homogeneity where grows up and they look different. It’s not the end of the World but it does remove the foreshadowing and implicit mystery of the character.

Soldato
Why even worry about the ethnicity , really matters very little. The portrayal of the character matters far more.
Because this isn't a progressive year 2021 world that's been written about, its not a modern multicultural world. Its a fantasy setting with medieval tones with very defined roles for men and women and clear difference between the different races, it's literally in the books. What does changing it achieve other than weakening the story, diluting the mistrust / misunderstanding between them and their cultures.

taB

taB

Associate
I've never got the obsession with height, it's such an irrelevance. Has anyone's enjoyment of an adaptation seriously been ruined because someone is too tall or too short?

Jack Reacher 6'5"
Tom Cruise 5'7"

Hope the wheel of time show is good, not bothered about actors' height. Just hope it moves faster than the books...

Permabanned
Because this isn't a progressive year 2021 world that's been written about, its not a modern multicultural world. Its a fantasy setting with medieval tones with very defined roles for men and women and clear difference between the different races, it's literally in the books. What does changing it achieve other than weakening the story, diluting the mistrust / misunderstanding between them and their cultures.

Yeah, not fussed. Just not worth crying about, will enjoy either way (unless its badly made/a load of guff :cry:)

Caporegime
New trailer has got my excitement levels rising. Please, pelase, please dont mess it up!

My biggest concern though is the line from Moiraine stating that any of the 5 from the Two Rivers could be the Dragon Reborn............if they have re written it so that a woman could be the Dragon Reborn then its going to be all wrong and messed up. The whole point is that men with the power go mad, wouldnt be the same story if a woman with the power was the Dragon reborn.

Permabanned
New trailer has got my excitement levels rising. Please, pelase, please dont mess it up!

My biggest concern though is the line from Moiraine stating that any of the 5 from the Two Rivers could be the Dragon Reborn............if they have re written it so that a woman could be the Dragon Reborn then its going to be all wrong and messed up. The whole point is that men with the power go mad, wouldnt be the same story if a woman with the power was the Dragon reborn.

Well, I am firmly in! Hope its not guff. :D

Doing what you mentioned above would involve drastic story changes, cant see it.

Soldato
Hope this trailer is good, a few guys I game with are hyped about this and as someone who knows nothing of the source material, the first trailer left me very cold.

Caporegime
Hope this trailer is good, a few guys I game with are hyped about this and as someone who knows nothing of the source material, the first trailer left me very cold.

The new trailer is far far better. The only thing I dont like so far is Rand's voice. But he only says one line in the trailer so perhaps I am being mean.

Soldato
The new trailer is far far better. The only thing I dont like so far is Rand's voice. But he only says one line in the trailer so perhaps I am being mean.

Will check it out when I get home, can't watch videos at work and mobile reception is pitiful. I feel like it's a show I should like from what i've heard about it.

Soldato

I don't think they will go down that route, but reckon they'll drag out the reveal as long as they can. Episode 4 is called The Dragon Reborn, and another is Blood Calls Blood which...

Is from an chapter in the books around the time the group is in Fal Dara, and Moiraine figures out it's Rand.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't think they will go down that route, but reckon they'll drag out the reveal as long as they can. Episode 4 is called The Dragon Reborn, and another is Blood Calls Blood which...

Is from an chapter in the books around the time the group is in Fal Dara, and Moiraine figures out it's Rand.

Yeah from what I read they're just playing up the mystery a bit in the show, whereas in the books you pretty much knew who it was from the start.

I'm cautiously optimistic after the proper trailer. One thing I am slightly worried about is if the first season(s) focus on Moiraine, it might be hard for the actual main character to stamp their authority on the series later on. Especially as Rosamund Pike is such a well known established actor. I think whatever happens I'm just going to treat it as completely separate from the books...will help with the disappointment if it's terrible.

Soldato
This is an interesting one because plainly it is possible to make a great TV series from the source material but in places the books are bad enough that there is loads of room to improve but equally there is loads of room to bugger it up if you deviate too far. Whole sequences of plot can reasonably be cut with no significant impact but play around with the group dynamic and you might be in trouble.

Back
Top Bottom