Robert Jordan’s fantasy epic The Wheel of Time coming to TV

Soldato
I don't see how they can have the dragon reborn as a woman without betraying the entire series, none of the plot points will work. Then again given the trash that is 99% of Hollywood these days it really wouldn't surprise me if they do and spin it as being an entirely different age when compared to the books.

You only have to look at at GoT to see how that turned to **** when they run out of books as the source material.

Associate
That Tavern scene trailer looks like they are in a Hollywood country club or something - all perfect hair and shiny teeth.

Soldato
Where is the Dragon Reborn being a woman thing come from? In the paranoid minds of anti-wokeists?

The casting has been online for ages.

Soldato
Where is the Dragon Reborn being a woman thing come from? In the paranoid minds of anti-wokeists?

There's an interview where it seems like he confirms the Dragon Reborn is who we know it is - https://deadline.com/2021/11/the-wh...-rafe-jenkins-plans-amazon-series-1234870995/

“One thing we’re trying to hide from the audience is who the Dragon Reborn is, it’s the mystery of the show as we start to unravel this story,” he said. “People who have read the books will know, of course."

Caporegime

I arent saying that the Dragon Reborn is a woman, that would be way too much of a re write of the series but from the two trailers it clearly states that the prophecy is that the Dragon reborn can be either a man or a woman and nobody knows which to my mind still involves a massive rewrite of the series and changes a lot of the politics and peoples attitudes. I mean potentially any Aes Sedai could be the Dragon Reborn so any of them should be treated with as much mistrust as men who can channel.

If its purely done as a tool for the trailer only so people don't know before they start watching then thats fine.

Soldato
There's no need to mention the 2 women, the mystery is still there with the 3 men. It's a totally pointless addition that again shows a lack of respect for the source material.

I'd also add that in the books egwene only goes with moraine because she's going to tar valon to be trained as an aes sedai, nynaeve follows because she doesn't trust moiraine.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's no need to mention the 2 women, the mystery is still there with the 3 men. It's a totally pointless addition that again shows a lack of respect for the source material.

I'd also add that in the books egwene only goes with moraine because she's going to tar valon to be trained as an aes sedai, nynaeve follows because she doesn't trust moiraine.

If you're hoping they stay absolutely true to the source material I think you#re going to be severely disappointed. After all, most adaptations differ significantly from the books they're based on.

Caporegime
If you're hoping they stay absolutely true to the source material I think you#re going to be severely disappointed. After all, most adaptations differ significantly from the books they're based on.

Director has already said he had several major differences of opinion with Jordans wife and the guy who wrote the last three books on the changes to the storyline as the director said some bits just didnt work on the small screen and were better the way he had changed them so i fully expect quite a few major changes.

Associate
Director has already said he had several major differences of opinion with Jordans wife and the guy who wrote the last three books on the changes to the storyline as the director said some bits just didnt work on the small screen and were better the way he had changed them so i fully expect quite a few major changes.

Yeah, you are just going to have to view it as something based loosely on the books, which is unfortunate. I had hoped that the changes made would for the most part be cutting out things which are unnecessary to the overall story but a couple of recent comments from Rafe Judkin have disabused me of that notion. It doesn't mean that it will be a bad show and I'm going give it a chance for sure but I don't think it's going to be the epic adaption that fans have wanted for decades.

Caporegime
Yeah just read a really positive review, said lots have changed and anybody wanting a true to book adaption will be disappointed but overall the changes are good.

Disappointed though to see its confirmed that the major rewrite sticks for the whole first season anyway that the Dragon reborn can be a man or a woman :(

Reviewer said Jordan's world was too dated to have it been only a man. I just dont see it that way and will mean some major, major we writes to the story lines as we progress. Especially if they end up actually making one of the women the Dragon Reborn.

Associate
Reviewer said Jordan's world was too dated to have it been only a man. I just dont see it that way and will mean some major, major we writes to the story lines as we progress. Especially if they end up actually making one of the women the Dragon Reborn.

I don’t agree with that change either, but I’m 99% sure it’s just to play up the mystery - why I don’t know because the books were never subtle about this. In fact I believe it’s already confirmed that the main character will be as in the source material.

Soldato
Such a stupid change. The women hunted the men to sort them out before breaking the world again, its pretty core to the story.

And as to reviewers saying the world is too dated, well no **** its literally set in a type of medieval period.

Permabanned
They can do what they like for me, so long as its a decent Fantasy show as they are thin on the ground. I am not going to worry too much if they felt the need to change things so longs as its loosely the same. :)

Caporegime
Such a stupid change. The women hunted the men to sort them out before breaking the world again, its pretty core to the story.

And as to reviewers saying the world is too dated, well no **** its literally set in a type of medieval period.

Yeah they never made those complaints about the Handmaids Tale did they?

Soldato
Yeah just read a really positive review, said lots have changed and anybody wanting a true to book adaption will be disappointed but overall the changes are good.

Disappointed though to see its confirmed that the major rewrite sticks for the whole first season anyway that the Dragon reborn can be a man or a woman :(

hahaha, oh dear. Incoming female dragon reborn

Back
Top Bottom