Robert Kubica has suffered "serious injuries"

Soldato
Massive point load on a principally sheet steel monocoque will offer little resistance to something like that. Your losing little energy compared to a crumple so its only adding a little friction to slow down. There is nothing tyat would offer protection to this that you would want on a competitive car, you know cut the excess 'spending' on weight. Im purplexed as to why you would expect it to hold up better to what is a freak accident.

I would have expected it to deform less, however this does seem to have been a straight head on hit rather than the typical rally accident where the car rolls end over end for a while - which would go some way towards explaining the damage caused.

Unfortunately those barriers are designed to catch whatever hits them as this is safer for road vehicles (so that they don't bounce into other lanes) but which is worse with respect to the forces involved as it forces a dead halt more or less as opposed to the vehicle slowing slower by bouncing around.

Soldato
Why Robert why :(

I hope he recovers quickly and that he won't miss many F1 races. The season starts next month so the timing for this accident is really bad.

Caporegime
And nearly broke his neck doing it.

Yeah which is why he wasn't allowed to do it while under contract, sadly ;)

Obviously a lot less protected - but do top bikers get major injuries all the time? (I recall about the MS /neck injury - and I think Rossi got injured a couple of seasons ago if I recall correctly but this very rarely gets into the wider news)

The difference is there's far less to do on a bike. They can race with damaged hands and legs where the only limitiation is can they do it through the pain barrier. Far more feel is required in the feet and hands at top level in F1 than Motogp.

With a damaged hand without full mobility Kubicas career is all but over. I hope he recovers fully and gets the top drive he deserves but as I said a year out now has ruined his chances of ever getting a top job.

As for the renault drive, it's a sad state of affairs that Heidfelds name crops up again. How many times does the plodder need to carry on doing nothing of note. Surely yhere has to be some talent coming through worthy of a chance rather than the driver cut by Jordan years ago.

Soldato
Hope Kubica recovers well, sad that we aren't going to see him racing in all probability this year (and maybe longer....)

Renault will need another driver though, Don;'t think Senna has the experience and Grosjean isn't good enough. What about Hulkenberg, has he got a seat anywhere at the moment?
I think Heidfield is most likely candidate though.

Associate
Hulk is test driver for Force India I think

I'd like to see Hulk given another chance in a better car, presuming the 2011 Renault is good

Soldato
Quick run down of news from Twitter:

Kubica has been woken briefly frmo his induced coma this morning to assess his state. He recognised his parents and his girlfriend and was able to move his fingers on his right hand. One of the first things he asked was how his co-driver was doing. He will also need a second operation to continue repairs to his leg, arm and hand.

Soldato
@TeamAnglais said:
Before the accident, Boullier was asked 'Which of your reserve drivers would race, if required'. He answered 'The one who is ready and Bruno is the most ready driver'.

3 weeks to get back in the groove would be a tall order if they did go for Raikkonen. Plus, they would need to get the deal done instantly if he was to be able to run some testing days.

Looking like it's going to be a Petrov/Senna lineup for Renault in Bahrain.

Soldato
3 weeks to get back in the groove would be a tall order if they did go for Raikkonen. Plus, they would need to get the deal done instantly if he was to be able to run some testing days.

Looking like it's going to be a Petrov/Senna lineup for Renault in Bahrain.

Wouldn't be easy, but i'd imagine he'd still be better than either Grosjean or Senna. Plus he has experience with Kers

Soldato
That puts paid to the rumours that it was before the race start, or that other drivers just drove on past. Nasty looking accident.

Also, as mentioned by the twitter comment posted above, does anyone know what happened to the co-driver? Is he okay?
The co-driver is fine. Is you watch the video you can see him running around and doing the "make a call" gesture, hence the reason why you see the other co-driver get on the mobile at the end of the video.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
There is also the fact that Bahar is now heavily involved with LRGP.. and he has previously worked with Kimi...

I would really like to seee Kimi back at Renault for a flying season, blow away the doubters, and then go out on a high.

Back
Top Bottom