Robot Wars returning to BBC2!

Man of Honour
If you can afford to build a robot, you can afford to construct a steel box to do some reasonable testing in.
and energy is only part of the reason, energy of a bullet is reasonably low, but it has such a small cross sectional area that that energy is concentrated.
a spinner despite having more energy is not going to fly as far or deliver as much damage at larger distance compared to a bullet.

Doing the maths off the top of my head IIRC some of those spinners are like 18inch at upto 6000rpm which puts an object (some can be small fixings not unlike a bullet) coming off the edge at around 300m/s or around pistol calibre muzzle velocity sure won't have the penetration of a bullet but not far off - you'd need a good thickness of steel to stop it.

Man of Honour
While I can't give the exact reason why they don't do above, I don' think it's as simple as you say or why would experienced teams who know what they are doing turn up with limited and sometimes almost no testing?
lack of time, money, ingenuity there are many reasons.
Doing a full test is very hard, doing smaller more focused tests is not.

Soldato
now you are just splitting ends. it is commissioned by bbc and bbc have huge control over the production. It is not a show created in a vacuum and then sold to the highest bidder.

No I`m not the BBC do not make Robot Wars its made by mentorn / SJP Media. The BBC will have strict guidelines and conditions to adhere to and will give them a time limit when to deliver the programme but they dont have control over the production schedule. If that slips for whatever reason the production company still have to produce a programme to the deadline. It then means less time to test and build robots. Try and understand how programmes are made before flinging unfound accusations I have a little knowledge of this and your last comment just shows your ignorance.

I believe this series slipped to winter because the location where they filmed didnt sign the contact till late on as they were holding out for more money. This meant less time for everyone involved but mentorn still had to deliver a programme to the BBC deadline or they incur forfeits. The next series is due to be filmed this summer and the invites to robot builders has already gone out so in theory they may have more time to build/test robots.

http://www.robotwars.tv/how-to-enter/

have a look at the rules too on that page.

My dad, brother and I had a go at building a robot last year as I had an idea for a double spinner but the prototype was a bit flawed it wouldnt self right and had an issue in that it would actually take off as it acted like a helicopter, went unbalanaced and smashed to pieces. We then built a flipper but the flipper was too slow and we lost interest.

Last edited:
Don
I've watched a few of the old series recently and the house robots properly destroy the robots that lose but they don't seem to do that anymore. To be fair with the mini league structure I see why.

I was meaning the house robots seem to purposely avoid any contact with the more powerful spinners when they come anywhere near the CPZ - I assume they don't want the house robots looking "weak" if e.g. matilda hits one and goes flying across the arena

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

To be fair the house robots have been upgraded a lot since the old series, but the severity of the weapons on the competitors is also up significantly. They don't want the house robots to end up in bits if they can help it :p

Killalot for instance has hardox armour which a lot of the newer, more expensive robots are going for. Likewise, the circular saw of dead metal used to be good for at least one decent choppy choppy but these days it's nothing more than an expensive tickler.

My issue with horizontal spinners is that they are easily flippable (hypnodisc) and the vertical spinners don't have the ability to withstand he forces created by their own weapons. This leaves the default tried-and-tested flippers which (if we're honest) only really fail if they break or run out of Co2.

Dead metal style pincer bot with a vertical spinner on the end of the retractable arm would be :eek: though.

Soldato
Hmm, not impressed with Apollo's attitude there. Moaning about leaving them alone when they never leave their victims alone, trying to flip them right out of the arena. Of course Carbide's going to try to do as much damage as possible to its main rival.

Soldato
I thought you aren't allowed to forfeit. You have to present a working robot or get replaced.

Well there's nothing to stop you voluntarily stopping to trigger the immobilisation counter and "forfeiting" that way. I guess the rule is you have to at least start the round and be working.

Back
Top Bottom