• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rocket lake leaks

Soldato
Only high end 11th gen models gets pcie4 support

All z490 boards support pcie4 but you have to use the right cpu model. This is because only half of the 11th gen line up is built on Rocket lake, the other half is rebranded comet lake

This is going to be really confusing for consumers who buy an 11th gen and wonder why pcie4 isn't working only to realise they bought the wrong cpu

https://wccftech.com/z590-motherboa...ibility-intel-rocket-lake-core-i9-i7-i5-cpus/

Associate
So the i5 and higher will be Rocket Lake and the i3 and lower will be rebranded 10th gen.
So all the Rocket Lake chips get PCIe 4 support.
I do feel sorry for the 3 people buying a cheap 11th gen Celeron etc that aren't able to use a PCIe 4 drive at its highest speed.
This may turn out to be the greatest humanitarian disaster of 2021.

Associate
With all the BS about supply problems making for over priced boards and cpu`s ( trying to do an Nvidia ) Half way house job with PCIe 4 - a dead socket and DDR 5 due out end of 2021 the question is will any pc upgrader buy into this refresh.

Permabanned
Users don't deserve the torture that any Celeron brings - these entry level processors should be forbidden as against the user, ergonomics, comfort and any normal application and use.

Soldato
With all the BS about supply problems making for over priced boards and cpu`s ( trying to do an Nvidia ) Half way house job with PCIe 4 - a dead socket and DDR 5 due out end of 2021 the question is will any pc upgrader buy into this refresh.
I'd much rather buy into a mature DDR4 platform this year than be one of the crash test dummies paying through the nose to beta test DDR5 to be honest. If it's anything like DDR4, prices will fall almost as rapidly as speeds and compatibility increase. And whilst I'm sure there'll be workloads that benefit from the increased bandwidth of DDR5, gaming isn't going to be one of them, bar perhaps a handful of titles when run at 720p with a 3090 for theoretical benchmarking purposes.

Permabanned
I'd much rather buy into a mature DDR4 platform this year than be one of the crash test dummies paying through the nose to beta test DDR5 to be honest. If it's anything like DDR4, prices will fall almost as rapidly as speeds and compatibility increase. And whilst I'm sure there'll be workloads that benefit from the increased bandwidth of DDR5, gaming isn't going to be one of them, bar perhaps a handful of titles when run at 720p with a 3090 for theoretical benchmarking purposes.

Gaming with iGPUs will benefit from the increased memory throughput - it's one of the bottlenecks of the APUs in general.

Soldato
Gaming with iGPUs will benefit from the increased memory throughput - it's one of the bottlenecks of the APUs in general.
Well, if you want to pay early adopter prices for DDR5 modules, motherboards and CPUs to play with an iGPU, more power to you. :)

Soldato
14++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

anyone? Intel are so tunnel versioned on IPC, They've completely forgot about Power consumption/Heat and most of all Multicore performance. Don't even get me started on the price.

Caporegime
14++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

anyone? Intel are so tunnel versioned on IPC, They've completely forgot about Power consumption/Heat and most of all Multicore performance. Don't even get me started on the price.

AMD have a design advantage, one Intel are either unable or unwilling to replicate, so they mock it.

To get similar IPC levels to AMD on 14nm+++++ the core needs to be quite large, this is why Rocket Lake-S will only be upto 8 cores, the CPU would be too big to make sense cost wise if its any more than that and would use too much power.

With AMD's design they can make an IO die very cheaply on 12nm GloFo and "Glue" 7nm Core Chiplets around it, as to how many the only limit being how many AMD can physically stuff on to the package, Intel aren't going to admit to the genius of that, certainly not if they can't get it to work without AMD's IP.

Caporegime
Rocket Lake-S Scored 1444 ST in R23 @ 4.5Ghz.
The 10700K Scored 1319, that's at a boost of 5.1Ghz

Rocket Lake IPC is 23% higher than Ice Lake, Not bad.

The 5800X scored 1596, that's 10.5% higher with a clock of 4.7Ghz. (+4.5%)

So the IPC on Rocket Lake is still 6% behind Zen 3, the 5950X boosts to about 4.9Ghz and scores around 1640.

In gaming Ice Lake vs Zen 3 is anything from -10% to +20% to Zen 3, in one or two outliers the 5950X is 30% faster than the 10900K.

Intel had a 30% IPC deficit, they have gone a long way to catching AMD up, but not quite.

I think Intel will 'take back' the gaming crown, but "destroy Zen 3 for gaming" is quite obviously and intentionally hyperbole. It will be much more along the lines of trading punches with Intel winning out overall.

But AMD are still improving their performance too.

Soldato
I'll wait for DDR5 and PCIe 5. I don't have to upgrade for a couple of years and I want to see how things are going to change in 2021 before I even start thinking about building a new PC.

Back
Top Bottom