• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rocket lake leaks

Soldato
OP
oh wow ok i didnt realise that ! i was half considering ugrading when 1155 was a thing and i know sandy was the main one then ivy was the refinement then haswell and broadwell etc

not looked into it much since then !

the key is in their names

you had the (sandy & ivy) bridges, then the (has & broad) wells, then the (sky, kaby, coffee, cannon, ice, comet, rocket) lakes and it's been lakes ever since for like 6-7 years of lakes upon lakes and every year they just rehashed the same thing over and over and over and over...

Soldato
OP
Ice Lake and Rocket Lake are new. Alder Lake will be something new again. And if you want to muddy the waters even more, it's the Coves you should be looking at now because it's the Coves that actually denote the architecture of the cores, the Lakes (as of Ice Lake) are implementations of the Coves.

And to think people whinge that Zen being out of step with Ryzen is confusing...

you are right, the lakes dont mean anything anymore.

supposed to define architectures but intel has just not bothered to drop the lakes from the naming anymore and kept it for Ice and Comet and the upcoming Alder.

Soldato
OP
Is that good price or is that expensive? £500 for a board, you are in the realm of god like aorus master etc. I guess that is an aorus master board.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Their current strategy is lowering 10th gen chip prices to undercut ryzen 3000 and ryzen 5000.

if intel was confident their 11th gen would leave AMD in the dust, they would not have bothered with discounting so close to launch of new CPUs.

their hope is that AMD production of CPU will still be severely constrained by TSMC and that eventually people jus give up on waiting and go to intel instead.

Soldato
OP
Its also a 16 thread Zen 3. Apparently there are ES samples of it in the wild.
It’s exciting isn’t it. I read somewhere it is potentially $350 dollar SKU which would be a nice bit of price reduction from 5800X. I like the ideal of an iGPU in case something goes wrong with your GPU while waiting for RMA, you don’t end up with a headless computer.

Soldato
OP
Cheap intel's incoming :)

Or wait till the end of the year for the new Intel cpus? hmmm
CPU is cheaper after intel discounting. Z motherboards are still stupid prices. if you want intel board for "best intel gaming" machine, you are still better off with Ryzen + X570/B550 boards

however if you dont care about overclocking and unlocked CPUs sure B460 board with a F variant of intel CPU then you are pretty sweet as a budget gaming combo.

if they unlocked B460 for overclocking then intel is really onto a winner.

the B560 is unlocked, however they arent exactly cheap either as they are so new and you wont be able to find any right now.

this whole last 12months have been horrendous for PC building

Soldato
OP
To many problems with ryzen.
Surely you meant, you CBA to learn new technology and happy to just let intel tell you what to do instead?

it’s pretty unintelligent to say Ryzen got issues.

intel chips got REAL world issues. Power consumption, chips running hot, security issues etc etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Re-read my post why :rolleyes:
Ryzen works when plug and play mate.

most people run into issues when they think their AMD cpu is like intel. Actually over 90% the posts on this forum asking ryzen help are people switching over from intel haswell/skylake generation. Used to intel stepspeed and auto voltage management and thinking That’s what you do to a ryzen CPU and that’s it without understanding the CPU technology.

for you to say that is the cause, it goes to show your lack of knowledge and how ignorant you are.

For comparison, I had 4770k all core Oc at 4.3Ghz it was guzzling down the same amount of power (115w peak) as my first zen CPU - 1600AF which is a 2600, but the 2600 is over 2x faster in all aspect. That is efficiency for you. Anyway I had no problems setting up that CPU. Currently on 3900x which is another massive step up in terms of performance/W. I am again getting twice as much performance over the 1600AF for about 30% more power consumption, so I have options to run full fat or undervolted.

Intel systems really hasn’t given that sort of performance leverage at all, even when 11th gen is considered.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I got the ASUS B550m gaming plus and the MSI x570 unify.

ASUS board can clock my CPU higher and clock the ram higher too. Marginally.

but ASUS customer service is crap.

Soldato
OP
Just for once, it would be good to have a thread about a product that wasn’t littered with rants about a different product from a different company.
We know Ryzen is a great series of chips, we don’t need a tape loop of geese babbling on about it all the time.
It’s the opposite. People with intel bias can’t stop posting rubbish about ryzen. And fabricated “issues”.

that’s always how it starts.

Back
Top Bottom