*** Rogue One: A Star Wars Story *** (NOW WITH SPOILERS)

Man of Honour
That bit at the end when Vader turns his lightsaber on then unleashes hell...so damn cool!

Absolutely loved it. It definitely is better in the second half but I thought it was excellent!

Associate
Just got back from the midnight screening, thought this was great, I think I preferred this than The Force Awakens out of the most recent Star Wars films to come out.

Soldato
Loved it, just brilliant Star Wars.

Made Force Awakens look very overly stylised and although thay did have more impact this was far more epic!

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Screw "Independent". Brilliant Star Wars story. If Force Awakens is the new SW for 12 year olds accompanied by their parents, Rogue One is made entirely for that 40+ year old parent. It brings "the feels" of your first Star Wars adventure complete with flashing lights on consoles, large plastic buttons everywhere and the tech under imperial occupation being full of tired, recycled junk. It takes no shortcuts to please kids, no cheesy avenues to "happy meal" the story. It's beautifully grim, dark and on the nose of everything you would expect from pre-ewok SW movie.

Its only minor let down is seriously ropey mocap, supporting cast trying too hard to sound weird and "galactically ethnic" in the first half of the movie and maybe.. just maybe... pressed to the wall, if I was to point at something...

magical bamboo kendo stick that goes through armor

Man of Honour
Maintenance mode ate my comment. :(

CGI Humans mainly very good, until they speak, try to show emotion or... move... Then they crumble a bit. They're as good as I've seen full screen CGI humans, but they're not quite there yet. But damn, it's close.

Was great to see Tarkin, Gold Leader, Red Leader, Ponda Baba, Cornelius Evazan, Jan Dodonna and so on back again though. Including the very do-able 1976 vintage Leia. ;) :D

Also good to see Bail Organa and Mon Mothma back and being played by the same people as in RotS.

They got the technology level correct. The stamped out, mass produced look of the ships was just right. They looked like an evolution of what was in RotS and matched as far as I could tell what was in ANH. Although, the addition of ships that we've never seen before or will again did irritate. But was to be expected.

Vader's intro, bacta tank and all was superb. But I wasn't too keen on him going all psycho trying to get the data back. When they take the Tantive IV in ANH he send the Stormtroopers in first then going in once it's cleared. Here, goes totally Librarian poo and then stands there watching the Tantive IV pootle off into the distance.

Oh yeah... also loved the little detail that they'd given Vader red lenses in his helmet to match ANH's helmet. Also, it was wonky! :D Shame the shoulders and cloak were wrong... but hey ho...

You know how the film will end. So you know what'll happen in the last act from about 30 minutes in. You can predict it with some accuracy even before that. Glad Disney didn't wimp out too.

I think the Bluray will enter my Star Wars movie marathon viewings. I expect that some fan will edit R1 and ANH together into a single movie at some point.

Also, where were Wedge and Ackbar? :eek: :(

I still miss the 20th Century Fox fanfare and the lack of a crawl. Wasn't too keen on K-2SO either, just seemed to be this movies R2-D2 or BB-8. Comic standby character.

But, I enjoyed the hell out of it. May even rate it as a better movie than TFA. 2nd viewing soon with the other half.

Caporegime
so many cool bits but just one at the end when Vader's star destroyer drops out of lightspeed and those rebel ships plough into it, such a nice touch. The whole final battle rates as one of the best in any sw film

Soldato
so many cool bits but just one at the end when Vader's star destroyer drops out of lightspeed and those rebel ships plough into it, such a nice touch. The whole final battle rates as one of the best in any sw film

Agree with this, how I wish ep 8 and 9 could be more like that. I think those few mins were probably the best of any SW IMO.

Soldato
Screw "Independent". Brilliant Star Wars story. If Force Awakens is the new SW for 12 year olds accompanied by their parents, Rogue One is made entirely for that 40+ year old parent. It brings "the feels" of your first Star Wars adventure complete with flashing lights on consoles, large plastic buttons everywhere and the tech under imperial occupation being full of tired, recycled junk. It takes no shortcuts to please kids, no cheesy avenues to "happy meal" the story. It's beautifully grim, dark and on the nose of everything you would expect from pre-ewok SW movie.

Its only minor let down is seriously ropey mocap, supporting cast trying too hard to sound weird and "galactically ethnic" in the first half of the movie and maybe.. just maybe... pressed to the wall, if I was to point at something...

This is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear, so many people who like The Force Awakens just didn't seem to get this stuff. The Star Wars universe for me is a galaxy far far away that must look like it is trapped in the year 1980.

Soldato
is this film suitable for an 8 year old?

also, does it have the scrolling text at the start like the main films? always wondered that one lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Not much but anyway

I thought it was epic, Start was a little iffy for the first 30 mins, Then i settled into it and it has some really great moments. The last scene on Scariff nearly got me.
Really good war scenes, Very good use of CGI on the human charchers i.e Moff Tarkin and Leia
Also Vader.....
JEEZ

**** There are no spoilers below this line ********
The best bit was that we watched it in Empire Leicester Sq, After the trailers the light went on and a guy come out and says, "Well this wasn't planned but we have Gareth Edwards here"
Then he walks out and talks for a while and then was like "I brought friends",
Pretty much the whole cast was up the front i.e Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Alan Tudyk + Riz Ahmed

Epic experience

Apparently they were in a pub around the corner and call the cinema to say "can we come?"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom