*** Rogue One: A Star Wars Story *** (NOW WITH SPOILERS)

Saw this last night, thought it was great. Loved the throwback to the 70s/80s haircuts, designs etc. Nice that it was a self contained story arc within the wider universe.

Only thing I would say is I didn't really feel loss for any of the characters when they died, and boy did they game of thrones that killing spree effort

Really enjoyed it - the battle scenes towards the end had a real WW2 flavour to them. Also got Star Wars tingly feelings throughout, but particularly towards the end.

Edit - by coincidence I was stood next to Gwendoline Christie - Captain Phasma in TFA - at Kings Cross this morning.

Last edited:
Saw this after work last night. Loved it. Will be going again.

My thoughts...
- The score was good, but no where near John Williams standards imo, but I did read they only had 4 weeks to do the whole thing so in that case they did very well.
- R2 and C3PO didn't need to be in and it felt a bit shoe horned, if they had to be in it it should have been at the end.
- The 3rd act was really good.
- The film in general felt very gritty and dark. Its a war film, not a happy funny U rated Star Wars film.
- Enjoyed seeing the various cameos.

Saw this after work last night. Loved it. Will be going again.

My thoughts...
- R2 and C3PO didn't need to be in and it felt a bit shoe horned, if they had to be in it it should have been at the end.

The reason why this was thrown in is that technically, the ship and its passengers were part of the fleet and the skirmish, so sooner or later someone would ask the question how come we never see the crew around the rebel base? Plus it ties in nicely with the oldest device - Star Wars is the story happening long time ago in galaxy far, far away as witnessed by/seen through the eyes of...

Last edited:
The reason why this was thrown in is that technically, the ship and its passengers were part of the fleet and the skirmish, so sooner or later someone would ask the question how come we never see the crew around the rebel base? Plus it ties in nicely with the oldest device - Star Wars is the story happening long time ago in galaxy far, far away as witnessed by/seen through the eyes of...

It's a 3 second clip which adds to the movie than makes it worse and i smiled when they appeared.

Well I've just come out of the cinema

My thoughts, and I won't bother with a spoiler tag because I won't be giving anything away:

CGI humans aren't that great, so please don't bother. Much rather we only see the back of people instead. It also adds a bit of secrecy which I like.

The whole film felt like a game>film conversion (ie, Star Wars Battlefront)

First 15 minutes and the last half an hour were epic, but the middle was a bit weak

Music was very average

Don't think kids will enjoy it too much. Not because it's gory, but I don't think they will be entertained until they are a bit older. Teenagers are fine, young kids perhaps not.

also, why did they go with the prequel trilogy vader helmet over the better and more aggressive looking original?

Like EP7, I enjoyed it more the second time around and I think that will be the same for this one. Still think Empire is best :-)

Last edited:
CGI humans aren't that great, so please don't bother. Much rather we only see the back of people instead. It also adds a bit of secrecy which I like.

I don't know, I thought it was quite impressive. How long until they wont need the actors themselves to make the movies...

All in all, pretty good I would say. A few cheesy/simple lines, but also some great ones.

Quite a simple plot, nice and easy to follow. Now I just need to watch 'A New Hope again'...

I thought Tarkin was great - my draw dropped when he was revealed, then when he started talking it was seriously amazing

leia was a bit ropey, looked realistic from the side, but from the front was a bit scary

film is really good though, does such a good job blending prequels with original trilogy, felt like a film for the real star wars fan, rather than the newbies - stuff like Cassian being dressed like Kyle Katarn and the gold and red squadron leaders

the new stuff was good, fit in well and was well acted, some of the shots were unbeliveable, like the ring shadow on the first planet, or the dust from the Jedha explosion panning upto the death star

that Vader scene was ridiculously awesome, obviously

wasnt sure on the music though - annoying because the trailers had some excellent music, i wish it had been more like that

i think i need to see it again - i liked it but didn't love it.

music was only 'ok'.
the robot lines just felt flat for me most of the time, and i'm afraid the cgi people were not good at all. it was very obvious that they weren't real.

but i did like it.

I think it has it's weaknesses but Rogue One is a better observed, more original, interesting movie than any Star Wars film, except The Original and Empire Strikes Back.

Biggest issues: Tarkin/Vader/Leia

I think it has it's weaknesses but Rogue One is a better observed, more original, interesting movie than any Star Wars film, except The Original and Empire Strikes Back.

Yeah, it's much better than Force Unleashed imo. Force Unleashed, while undoubtedly a far better effort than episodes I II and III, was still completely stupid in many places and didn't capture the feel of the original trilogy even half as well as this one. Gareth Edwards is simply a better director than J.J. Abrams and he followed his ideas through with conviction, producing a consistent, dark and mostly sensible movie with good immersion, as opposed to the lazy-ass writing that was present in Force Unleashed. Thinking about the female stormtrooper commander shutting down the shields of the planet still makes me facepalm with frustration. Abrams tried to capture the Star Wars feel, but ultimately it was only skin deep compared to Rogue One.

The work they did to revive an actor who is dead 22 years now, was impressive. By far the best part in the film, which indeed was flat in many places.

And not because I am fan of Peter Cushing and his work, or Grand Moff Tarkin, but as software developer by profession and graphics animator (hobby with Unity Engine).
The feat was impressive and exceeded expectations.

And as overall film was better than Force Awakens. By miles.

Back
Top Bottom