Ronski's Solar & battery DIY build with whole house backup

Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
There will be a smart way, but we wont have access to the required software. Easy PV should be able to do it, but I could never get it to arrange panels on an angle facing different directions on a flat roof, you can use the Renusol console mounting, but I still cant figure out how to rotate them to face a different direction. Actually if I create a pitched roof, then it gives me the option of landscape or portrait orientation, but for a flat roof you only have landscape offered - the software is rather lacking, and should just give the option to rotate the panel, after all with a Renusol console you can physically place it at any orientation.

But for purely experimental purposes you could draw two roof's at 30 degree angle occupying the same footprint as your flat roof just like you had a pitched roof on your garden room. Realistically though you wouldn't mount the panels at 30 degrees on a flat roof, so it would be best to work out what mounting system you are going to use first, so you know what angles you are dealing with.

Or as I did draw it in Sketchup, which can show shading, but unless you draw the surrounding tree's and houses it doesn't show them, but all that is a steep learning curve, I've been using Sketchup for many years.
Yeah good shout - actually been using 3d software for around 25 years, so that's a sensible option. 3d studio Max does geographically accurate sun calculation actually, so maybe that's the best option!

Ta, saves me testing a dozen things that don't quite work!

Soldato
OP
@katie279 That's good, unfortunately I've never used any of the professional packages, used to use Turbo cad, then Floor Plan, then Sketchup.

Yesterdays progress, we must have had a shower overnight. I used CT1 mastic under and around the mounts, this is not affected by water, and can actually be used in the wet.

Morning-roof-Bottom-Rails-on.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@ANDARIAL I did briefly, but the felt was replaced in 2009, using a high performance felt and a 3 layer system bonded with hot bitumen (15 to 25 years plus life), which came with a 10 year guarantee, so I'm sure its got plenty of life left in it.

Trouble is if I'd replaced the felt with EDPM or fibreglass I would probably end up with an entirely new roof (its not very flat and puddles in one corner) at great expense, and requiring a lot of time to do.

Worse case I have to take the panels and brackets off for it to be replaced, its not difficult to remove the panels/brackets.

Last edited:
Associate
@katie279 That's good, unfortunately I've never used any of the professional packages, used to use Turbo cad, then Floor Plan, then Sketchup.

Yesterdays progress, we must have had a shower overnight. I used CT1 mastic under and around the mounts, this is not affected by water, and can actually be used in the wet.

Morning-roof-Bottom-Rails-on.jpg
Great progress Ronski! That might in a funny way be the hardest part done on the roof? I'd certainly be paranoid about drilling into the roof, making sure it was sealed, making sure all the brackets were spot on in the right spot. I'd imagine it's more bolts and nuts to fix other brackets to this from here? Then placing the panels etc.

Solar by Christmas??

Soldato
OP
Yep, thats the hard part done, the last four brackets were a bit rushed, my brother wasn't available today, and he needed to get home and it was getting dark, but hopefully they are correct.

Normally solar mountings are very forgiving as the rails are adjustable and of course the mounting clamps just slide along the rails, but the method I designed isn't adjustable without adding more height, but there will be a little flexibility, hopefully our measurements are spot on.

Just bolts and nuts to fit the other brackets, we used plenty of polyurethane mastic (CT1), which is brilliant stuff, so hopefully there will be no leaks - there is one mount I'm concerned about as it sits in the middle of a puddle that was an inch deep yesterday. Its a garage so there is no internal ceiling, so leaks will be easily visible, and it will be some time before the actual panels are fitted. I could have gone with a ballasted system, but calculations I did showed that the roof rafters were not strong enough, and even with my brother walking around up there they were flexing quite a bit.

It'd be nice if I can get it up and running by Christmas, but still quite a lot to do, and depends on the electrician.

Last edited:
Associate
Ideal if you can be up and running on the 21st of December as it's the shortest day, good target to work for.
Gather all the info for the next 6 months to get the figures for the climb up to mid-Summer

Associate
Yep, thats the hard part done, the last four brackets were a bit rushed, my brother wasn't available today, and he needed to get home and it was getting dark, but hopefully they are correct.

Normally solar mountings are very forgiving as the rails are adjustable and of course the mounting clamps just slide along the rails, but the method I designed isn't adjustable without adding more height, but there will be a little flexibility, hopefully our measurements are spot on.

Just bolts and nuts to fit the other brackets, we used plenty of polyurethane mastic (CT1), which is brilliant stuff, so hopefully there will be no leaks - there is one mount I'm concerned about as it sits in the middle of a puddle that was an inch deep yesterday. Its a garage so there is no internal ceiling, so leaks will be easily visible, and it will be some time before the actual panels are fitted. I could have gone with a ballasted system, but calculations I did showed that the roof rafters were not strong enough, and even with my brother walking around up there they were flexing quite a bit.

It'd be nice if I can get it up and running by Christmas, but still quite a lot to do, and depends on the electrician.
Yeah, I remember our roofers talking about CT1 and I googled it, by tradey description it'll last longer than your felt! They really seem to rate it, so fingers crossed you'll be fine.

Soldato
OP
Ideal if you can be up and running on the 21st of December as it's the shortest day, good target to work for.
Gather all the info for the next 6 months to get the figures for the climb up to mid-Summer
Yeah that would be a nice target.

Think we've just set Ron-ski a target..... ;)

Don't let the entire forum down, Ron-ski!

Hmmm, not sure on that, I've got a weeks holiday between now and then, I effectively loose two weekends, and dependant on the electrician.

Yeah, I remember our roofers talking about CT1 and I googled it, by tradey description it'll last longer than your felt! They really seem to rate it, so fingers crossed you'll be fine.

We've used it at work for years, it really is fantastic stuff, well worth the extra expense over silicon, and if you shop around you can get it cheaper than a lot of places.

Just been up and measured, the front set of frames are roughly 10mm out on the diagnonals, and one of the rear frames is not level, but hopefully I've got enough wiggle room to allow for that.

Back to work, only came in to check my drawings.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Today's progress.

Rear-a-frames-fitted.jpg

Rear-a-frames-fitted-2.jpg

I got all the rear frames completed and the snorkel fitted through the roof for the cables. The frame on the left is not level, there must have been something under the angle gauge, it means one slope is 9 degrees and the other is 11, which should be fine, all the others are at 10 degrees.
One problem is the panels nearest the edge of the roof will hit the roof, so I need to get some 10mm spacers to space them up, I knew it would be close, but its too close. I expect I'll have the same issue with the ones in the foreground, its easily rectified though, just more expense.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yet more parts arrived today.

Battery-Cables.jpg

3 meters 120mm, 7 meters each of 70mm orange & black, and 1 meter each of 35mm orange and black.

Two 32A DC rotary isolators.

DC-Rotart-Isolator.jpg

Just realised the above isolator isn't ZJ Beny, whilst it looks the same there are various differences, so they are going back.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
No, spoke to the supplier and he hasn't got any outside of the affected serial number range. He's expecting another twenty in this week and will check them, but he gave the impression that it would be quite some time before replacements were available.

Associate
Here you go, if your order is over £120 use this code for 15% off........... 15%BLKFRI-VICTRON

Ouch, thats the price for just one. I have ordered these, well not the ANL but the Mega ones from here Troop:

They don't do the ANL's, well not asked them.

I am sure the ANL's are a different size...I think :(

Associate
Ouch, thats the price for just one. I have ordered these, well not the ANL but the Mega ones from here Troop:

They don't do the ANL's, well not asked them.

I am sure the ANL's are a different size...I think :(
I use the MEGA fuses as well; I bolt the fuse to the last cell positive terminal of the pack.

Anything stating Victron, you end up paying more for, it is what it is, good gear though

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Here you go, if your order is over £120 use this code for 15% off........... 15%BLKFRI-VICTRON

They've been out of stock for weeks, I've found somewhere else that has them for £12 + P&P, was just waiting until I needed something else they have, or they are on eBay for £18 or best offer delivered.

@Mafia_GF If you think they are expensive, don't look at the prices of T Class fuses, some places are charging £80 per fuse, I found them for just over half that. When it comes to fusing I rather pay a bit extra and know I've got something thats rated for the situation its used in.

Back
Top Bottom