Ronski's Solar & battery DIY build with whole house backup

Soldato
There is just so much that goes into building your own, seems never ending.

It's all the little parts, like lugs/ferrules, small cable runs, fuses, isolators, and such that if ordered on their own just make it feel never ending. When I did my normal system that was bad enough and it was a pretty standard affair, other than getting my head around the roof mount system design, due to relying on my own measurements, it seemed never ending. Now I'm going down the Victron route and have done a few other standard systems, I can certainly say that even using off the shelf batteries it is much more involved even though the panels are already there! I'm waiting my new plant room to be started/finished then I can finally start with endless ordering of parts. :)

Associate
That's my cable lugs ordered, hopefully I've worked out the correct ones and not forgotten any. Next on the list will be heat shrink.

There is just so much that goes into building your own, seems never ending.
Second, third etc packs are much easier as you have all the kit available to you, try to buy packs of ferrules in at least packs of 25 or most of the cost ends up as shipping.
All worth it in the end.

My next pack will be my fifth :)

Soldato
OP
Yes that will come eventually be done, but first I need to build the battery.

Talking of bootlace terminals, I don't think there's that many that I actually need, a lot of the connections should be used with bare wire, its really only terminals where the screw, screws into the wire that require them (there are some other types, such as spring loaded). Victron actually recommends against using them on their MPPT charge controllers, and the terminals on the MCB's & PV fuse holders are the same design.

Associate
They've been out of stock for weeks, I've found somewhere else that has them for £12 + P&P, was just waiting until I needed something else they have, or they are on eBay for £18 or best offer delivered.

@Mafia_GF If you think they are expensive, don't look at the prices of T Class fuses, some places are charging £80 per fuse, I found them for just over half that. When it comes to fusing I rather pay a bit extra and know I've got something thats rated for the situation its used in.
@Ron-ski, I agree with paying the extra for safety but there is a point when companies just charge huge amounts for something purley for putting their name on it despite it been made in China/India.

Soldato
OP
I agree with paying the extra for safety but there is a point when companies just charge huge amounts for something purley for putting their name on it despite it been made in China/India.

I agree totally, I spend a lot of time trying to find the cheapest safe options, I don't like paying over the odds for something, but if there is one thing I've learnt in 30 years as a mechanic/workshop manager, cheapest is not the best option, but often exactly the same part can be purchased from a factors rather than main dealers.

Soldato
OP
Talking of being overcharged, just had an email from that popular auction site, one item caught my attention, an official Cerbo GX protection kit, consisting of a Panasonic capacitor, some heat shrink, and instructions all for the princely sum of £9.99, not a bad profit for a 40p capacitor, a bit of heat shrink, sheet of paper and postage :eek:

I'll just order the capacitor from RS Components should I require it, free delivery as well on our credit account.

Caporegime
Talking of being overcharged, just had an email from that popular auction site, one item caught my attention, an official Cerbo GX protection kit, consisting of a Panasonic capacitor, some heat shrink, and instructions all for the princely sum of £9.99, not a bad profit for a 40p capacitor, a bit of heat shrink, sheet of paper and postage :eek:

Yea, I thought it was a total con at first i.e. not needed at all, turns out just massive price inflation.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just ordered my ANL 400A fuse, ET112 energy meter and RS485 to USB adapter.

The energy meter is so that the Cerbo GX can monitor exactly what my existing SolarEdge system is producing, the meter will be installed between my existing generation meter and the consumer unit, and connected to the Cerbo GX in the garage via RS485.

PS it seems some of my cable lugs are on backorder, but should arrive in about three weeks :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Four of these arrived last week whilst I was on holiday.

DC-Rotart-Isolator-BYH-32.jpg

And two of these for the battery trays.

Terminal-Post.jpg

Something I realised the other day, was that the hydraulic crimper I bought only goes to 70mm, but I've got some 120mm crimps to do, so I'm going to hire a Cembre hydraulic crimper, fortunately we have a trade account, and they are always ringing up asking if they can do anything for us, so hopefully I'll get a good discount. One thing I've read about doing hexagon crimps, is that unless you use a quality crimper they could be a bit hit or miss, so I think it'll be worth hiring a decent one for a week.

Soldato
That's the other set of panel mounts installed. So apart from fitting the panels, and wiring in that is all the roof work done for now. Will need to fit some netting at some point to stop the birds getting under there

You going to test fit a panel in case of nasty surprises, or did you do that in the workshop?

Soldato
OP
It was a cold but beautiful sunny day today, I had planned to install the network cable, and the energy meter cable between the house and the garage, but the wife, and daughter wanted the new Christmas lights up. So I installed 75 meters of lights around the entire house, which including taking down the old set, it took all day.

I did manage to pop round to CEF and pick up an enclosure for the energy meter though.

Back
Top Bottom