Ronski's Solar & battery DIY build with whole house backup

Twin 25mm SWA? You planning on adding a small nuclear reactor at a later date.

Lovely diagram.
Have to beat Katie somehow ;)

One SWA is the grid connection to the inverter, the other SWA is the return to the house and feeds the consumer unit.

25mm is just a much better choice than 16mm, the run from the house to the garage is around 20 meters each way, using 25mm also minimises voltage drop, which must be kept low for a solar installation. IIRC 25mm is rated for 134A, we are currently fused at 80A, but if I needed to fit a car charger then it has the capacity to go to 100A. If you check the DNO requirements for a 100A supply you must use 25mm cables all the way to the 100A rated consumer unit, if using 16mm then 80A is the maximum DNO fuse they will fit.

The parts for the second battery build are trickling in.

I now have the BMS, BMS screen, 250A T Class fuse and holder.

I already have various other bits that I bought previously, currently trying to make a list of what I've got, and what I need to get, amazing just how much there is.

Been having a bit more of a play with Node Red today, supposed to be working on the export scheduling, but added another gauge to my Node Red dashboard, I should have one that will now show the highest peak power of the day, it should reset over night.

Node-Red-Gauges.jpg

You're going to wish you bought the bigger one lol, I can see gym time calling :p

How's this pair compare?

I was going to hire a pair to do the 120mm cable lugs, but these came up last week, and got them for a bargain price compared to what they usually cost second hand and not much more than I was quoted to hire a set! I did have to buy a set of 120mm dies though, but managed to find them for a third of the price of new dies.

PS. I still going to ned the gym, they're very heavy!

New-Crimpers.jpg

Last edited:
How's this pair compare?

I was going to hire a pair to do the 120mm cable lugs, but these came up last week, and got them for a bargain price compared to what they usually cost second hand and not much more than I was quoted to hire a set! I did have to buy a set of 120mm dies though, but managed to find them for a third of the price of new dies.

PS. I still going to ned the gym, they're ve

Err, more like the bottom one, head is different though, came with a full set of dies, largest for 300mm squared cable :eek:
Only use the 25mm one lol.

Been using mine the last couple of days, spent the last 3 days re-wiring the camper ready for lifepo4, VRM up and working for the first time on it today.
Still on the old batteries, waiting on Fogstar.

The Perlight 415W solar panels kick out some power, they seem to run at 44volts plus, good for the van as the 12v system starts earlier and finishes later in the day due to the high volts.

New VRM install. https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/179287/share/bb479c02 (van has 24/7 internet connection so can run/view the vrm from anywhere)

Last edited:
@Troop Exciting when it all comes to life isn't it. If you want to use the Cerbo to upload to PV Output then see here, you'll need to install Venus OS Large for Node Red.

Be glad when it's all done, hate trying to work in a very small space, only just room for the components.
I'll take a look at PV output when I have more time and it's finished, not sure if its worth it as my systems tend to be smaller.

Your new crimper looks like it will last a couple of life times :D

Back
Top Bottom