Ronski's Solar & battery DIY build with whole house backup

Soldato
OP
When I add it up, but the electricians bill came to £2.5k, the bypass switches they used were £300 each :eek: It's gone well over what I thought it would be, but it's only money.

I've ordered 16 more cells, cell busbars and BMS for the second battery. At least the cells were £500 cheaper this time round, they are expected late April.

Soldato
@Welshman there's certainly a lot of it, and there's a lot of graphs I haven't added.

I also have a page with predicted generation, another with various gauge's (not publicly assessable), and I'm trying to adapt someone else's code to upload to PV Output, all done on the Victron Cerbo GX.
Awesome….as a data analyst, i love seeing other peoples data loads

Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
Ok, so I've got an extra roof on an outbuilding - it's a 8.5m x 4.5m EDPM roof facing SW.

I figure I could get some of these angled structures like you did.

How can I work out the best arrangement of panels and how many I can fit? I guess there's something about avoiding the shade of one row on the next - is there a trick to this, as imagine it'd vary throughout the year depending on the sun height...?

Ok, so I've got an extra roof on an outbuilding - it's a 8.5m x 4.5m EDPM roof facing SW.

How can I work out the best arrangement of panels and how many I can fit? I guess there's something about avoiding the shade of one row on the next - is there a trick to this, as imagine it'd vary throughout the year depending on the sun height...?

Escalation shots fired! @ @Ron-ski ;)

Soldato
OP

I drew it in Sketchup, and you can set the orientation and location, then create shadows. Ideally you need a minimum of 300mm boarder around the panels and the edge of the roof, some places state 400mm though, but I went 300.

Or you could try https://easy-pv.co.uk/home although I find it not so good on flat roofs. If your roof is strong enough you can use ballasted adjustable frames.

Is it a single flat roof, and what's the pitch?

Last edited:
Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
I drew it in Sketchup, and you can set the orientation and location, then create shadows. Ideally you need a minimum of 300mm boarder around the panels and the edge of the roof, some places state 400mm though, but I went 300.

Or you could try https://easy-pv.co.uk/home although I find it not so good on flat roofs. If your roof is strong enough you can use ballasted adjustable frames.

Is it a single flat roof, and what's the pitch?

Yes, it's a single 8.5m X 4.5m roof, so I'm hoping I could get a couple of rows of panels on that (maybe 14 panels)

Then on the West facing side of the house, we've got space for another 10-12 panels....

It'd be amazing if I could get us to 15kw+ - that would smash the cost of EV, heating, electricity pretty much for good....

Your build has inspired me to think smart!

Soldato
OP
I've drawn my system schematic for the DNO, anything I've left off or any problems?

Link for bigger picture.

System-Schematic.jpg

PS. Various bits have arrived for the second battery.

Back
Top Bottom