Ronski's Solar & battery DIY build with whole house backup

They're alright if you've got plenty of open space, but we've not got that, and have neighbours, so just not practical.

Now if perovskite solar panels come out in a few years I may be tempted to change some panels, as that would be a big jump in power generation, but there are complications with doing that, with regards to the solar charge controllers, inverter size, even cabling.

If I'm thinking correctly, then if you have a 20% efficient panel and you increased that to 30%, then that's a 50% increase in power for a panel of the same physical size.

Last edited:
Surprisingly it wasn't raining today apart from early morning, so this afternoon I started fitting the bird mesh.

In the picture below I'm using Enviroguard 30mm SolarGuard Clear Speed Clips, these clip onto the edge of the panel that doesn't have lip underneath.

For the sides with the lip, I'll be using Enviroguard Budget Solar Guard Clip, both from City Plumbing.

For the actual bird mesh, its simply plastic fencing, with a 5mm square hole, I bought a huge roll years ago when I did the Solaredge system.

The bottom edge is tucked under the tiles.

2024-09-22-Bird-mesh.jpg

2024-09-22-Fine-mesh-fencing-bird-mesh.jpg

Last edited:
Anybody fancy working at height?

I've secured all the ladders with ratchet straps.

This was to fit the bird netting to the rear edge of the panels, bit tricky as I had to work one handed whilst hanging on with the other!

2024-09-29-Ladder-to-apex-of-scaffold.jpg

View from the top of the ladder.

2024-09-29-Bird-netting-top-of-panels.jpg

Rear edge, this is what I had to fit from the ladder.

2024-09-29-Bird-netting-rear-edge.jpg

Netting up the centre, birds have already messed on the panels - the end of the aerial is just above the panels.

2029-09-29-Bird-netting-middle.jpg

And the front panels, luckily I was able to reach to put this on, no need for the ladder up the front.

2029-09-29-Bird-netting-front-panels.jpg

Just need to get the scaffolding taken down now.

Anybody fancy working at height?

That's not working at height :D

Maybe I have become insensitive to height after my childhood where my father would send me (at 14) up ladders he wouldn't go up with steps tied to the top to get to paint the fascia and soffits on his three story house gable. I worked on single pole radio masts over 125m and various commercial buildings when working for him as well (I changed careers ASAP!)

I was similar as a youngster, we lived in a very large house (52 rooms - sold in 1986 for just £90k!!!), but we would often go up ladders and help him paint it, or even on the roof and that was 3 story's. I bought a house in the early 90's, and used his tripple extension ladder, that was three story's as well, got half way up and the wooden ladder was almost vertical!!! I came down, my younger brother went up instead.

Heights never bothered me, although I've never climbed a 125m radio mast, that might well do!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom